Best Realistic VP Candidate for Barack Obama? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 06:04:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Best Realistic VP Candidate for Barack Obama? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Best Realistic VP Candidate for Barack Obama?  (Read 7060 times)
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« on: December 12, 2007, 11:47:49 PM »

I still think Evan Bayh would be a good choice. A non-threatening white guy with executive, legislative, and national security experience.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 11:56:20 PM »

I still think Evan Bayh would be a good choice. A non-threatening white guy with executive, legislative, and national security experience.

What does he bring to the ticket that would justify losing his Senate seat, which would likely go to a Republican without him?

I think the things that I mentioned would make him a good balance to a black guy with a unique name and thin public resume.

Besides, the possibility of losing his Senate seat doesn't really bother me. The Democrats are posed to pick up a few seats next year anyway. Plus, remember that Mitch Daniels that isn't that popular in Indiana, so I think that it is within the realm of possibility that a Democrat could unseat him.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 04:43:26 PM »

I know people will get on me about my Joementum stuff but Biden really would be Obama's best choice.  Obama's main weakness is his perception as inexperienced and who better to pick than a Senator of over thirty years to balance that out?

With his 35 years worth of experience, I think he would end up overshadowing Obama. I think he  would be better off as Secretary of State.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 04:07:58 PM »

I know people will get on me about my Joementum stuff but Biden really would be Obama's best choice.  Obama's main weakness is his perception as inexperienced and who better to pick than a Senator of over thirty years to balance that out?

With his 35 years worth of experience, I think he would end up overshadowing Obama. I think he  would be better off as Secretary of State.

But experience is what he needs on the ticket.  It is like how in 1960 Kennedy balanced his ticket by getting someone with years of experience(Johnson)

The problem as I see it, is that Biden has too much experience. What I mean I by that is that I think an Obama/Biden ticket would create the sense that the two should trade places.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 06:07:42 PM »

Biden would make a great President, Vice-President or Secretary of State.  He isn't a gaffe machine, as has been suggested -- but he is gaffe prone.  (I just view a gaffe machine as being someone like President Bush, who makes idiotic statements constantly.  Not once in awhile. -- that said, maybe it's more noticeable from someone like Biden, who USUALLY sounds so competent and knowledgeable.)

Biden will almost certainly be Hillary's Secretary of State (Clark or Ted Strickland will be her VP).  If Obama wins, Biden might be a smart choice for VP for exactly the reasons stated.  Bush picked Cheney --- errr, Cheney picked Cheney -- to bring experience in international and military affairs to the ticket.  Biden fits that bill, except competently.  Evan Bayh, less so.  And yes, his seat would go R.  That is something the DSCC cannot allow, even with a majority.

The thing is, I have a concern that with Biden, it would be similar to the Dukakis/Bentson situation where the VP candidate overshadows the Presidential candidate.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 06:29:53 PM »

Even though Biden worked just fine, I still think Obama should've picked somebody who reinforced the whole change message better.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies