Department of Federal Elections (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 10:37:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Department of Federal Elections (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Department of Federal Elections  (Read 72740 times)
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« on: February 25, 2017, 04:01:36 PM »

Veggie news, the best source for leeks, is reporting a presidential ticket was on the ballot in the February election even if it didn't follow the declaration rules. If there was no modification after the electoral law was adopted in August 2016, the candidacy declaration deadline for a presidential ticket is 7 days before the commencement of the election.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 05:42:55 PM »

The Maxwell ticket didn't declare at least a week before the election.
Also don't see a post by SouthernGothic declaring for VP if we still ask both members of a ticket to confirm their candidacy.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 06:06:33 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Is there unanimity agreement with the quota calculation?
If I remember I think there are different ways to calculate. I thought quota was rounded up.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 07:48:41 PM »

Surprise! A special House election. Where was this announced? I may have missed it. According to Federal electoral Act.

If an election is advertised there is a better chance to have more than one candidate on a ballot and if there are people interested they can declare.

Also the party should decide who is filling the vacancy. Section 3 of the constitution states

the effected party could be the party who helped the representative get elected, meaning the registration on the ballot. If it's party at the time of resignation, the representative resigned before deregistering. I see on the last census there were three members. Sp if at the time of resignation there were three members (before deregistering) I think it's enough to be considered an official party (unless there is a official number to be considered a major party).
I think the vacancy should be filled by the party at the time of resignation (if not at election) and there shouldn't be a special election.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 11:33:56 AM »

@ Poirot the party fell below recognition status so they couldn't fill the vacancy

The census table at the end of July shows a party with three members, that is a recognized party. Unless there is a mistake somewhere, I presume at the time of the resignation the party had 3.

I don't see anywhere a criteria that states another point in time to maintain a treshold, would it be 24 hours after resingation, three days? or that a party must maintain a minimum for a period of time, like during two days following resignation?

When it was announced there would be a special election it was too late for candidate to appear on the ballot anyway. I imagine it would be awkward to advertise elections in an elections game... Anyway I think the special election is illegitimate. 
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 05:31:03 PM »

Can your office make an official announcement on the date of the next election for federal House of Representatives?

December elections are a special  case and this year there are five Fridays in the month so it looks to be earlier than normal. Citizens might be surprised.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 05:46:08 PM »

I saw the calendar. I think it would be good to tell the citizens when the election will take place, to alert them and have an official source confirm the date. 
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 03:07:46 PM »

While I am confident of victory against the witch hunt in my party, I would dispute the * affixed to my name on the ballot given that I would remain, constitutionally, a registered Federalist regardless of my actual membership of the Party proper and as such should appear as such on the ballot.

Regarding this part:

Are you saying a candidate's party affiliation on the ballot be different than the actual membership in the party?

The ballot reflects the most recent information if possible. If you change state two days before a vote the ballot should try to reflect that. If someone is no longer in a party the ballot should reflect that. If someone is expeled from a party, the party's name should not appear on the ballot.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 08:23:12 PM »

He is still currently a registered Federalist (so requesting the * be removed is still using the most recent information), and even in the event the vote to expel passes, it would be too late to remove him as a Federalist candidate for the House.

By the time the vote happens it could be too late to replace a candidate but by expulsion you can remove the party affiliation of the canddiate no?

My point is what happens on the official ballot (not the sample ballot) if there is an expulsion from a party. The party can do whatever it wants, consider the candidate endorsed or not, vote for the candidate or not, or it's too late for the party to replace a candidate That is internal party business.

For the Secretary of Election in the event of a party expulsion of a candidate, it means a change in party registration and I guess party affiliation becomes Independent. The party appearing on the ballot will be Independent since the person no longers belongs to the party

Unless the law says you can't change state or party affiliation for a set period of time before the election.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 11:40:27 AM »

Who is the Acting Elections Administrator to carry out the duties of administering the December 2017 House election since it's not Peebs ? Did the President name someone?
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 11:51:25 AM »
« Edited: December 10, 2017, 12:00:24 PM by Poirot »

I think the article forbidding the SoFE to administer an election in which the SoFE is candidate has been repealed.

Edit:
To answer my own question, yes that part of the law was repealed in The Deputy Secretary of Federal Elections Act. It is replaced with a system of double checking by the assistant. 

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=260024.msg5669027#msg5669027
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 11:10:22 PM »

The constitution states that the leadership of the "effected party" gets to fill the vacancy, so there are two ways this can go:

1. If RC takes his seat, he does so as an Alliance member, so Alliance would be the effected party in the case of his subsequent resignation and Transit gets to pick the replacement.

2. RC doesn't take his seat, meaning that there is a vacant spot to which the people elected a listed Federalist. Yankee gets to pick the replacement.

Number 2 is less clear, when the person not swearing in is a member of a party that is different from the time of election. Is it the party at time of swearing in or time of election?

I think there is also a number 3, concession of victory in the Federal Electoral Act (so not in the constitution)
https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Federal_Electoral_Act#Section_12:_Concession_of_Victory

If someone elected concedes after certification but before the swearing in date, the seat goes to the next person with highest preferences.
Interested parties should look at the possible options with their legal advisors.

Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2018, 08:34:20 PM »

If there is a new Federal Electoral act that becomes law (a possibility) will the Department and the Census bureau prepare a communications plan to inform the citizens of the country of the changes so they are aware of the new law?
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2018, 10:14:06 PM »

It was a suggestion. Don't do it for me, I've tried to highlight the changes I've found. I'm informed enough.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2018, 06:59:35 PM »

Question: what will you do with the House ballot that has two first preferences? Since we cannot read voter's intent for first preference it's like an invalid vote for House I reckon.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2018, 10:04:31 PM »

In the October election, was a ballot not counted because a foreign alphabet appear on the ballot in addition to English?
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2019, 10:02:47 PM »

President/Vice President (Declaration deadline 24 hours prior)

I don't remember all deadlines but unless it has changed the deadline for Presidential ticket was 7 days prior to the election.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2022, 05:11:04 PM »

Hi
I would like to know what are the requirements to be an eligible voter to determine if I can cast a ballot for the next election. Thank you.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies