Why the UKIP are scum
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 10:31:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Why the UKIP are scum
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Why the UKIP are scum  (Read 10948 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2013, 07:27:46 AM »

Related: Lawrie Barratt died about a month ago.

When I was about ten, Barratt Homes built 'sympathetic' homes in a part of my town with wonderful mock Tudor gables; a true tribute to all the thousands of Tudor mansions you see dotted around the Scottish countryside...
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2013, 02:37:34 PM »

Britain is not overpopulated. I'm surprised how much greenery we still have given the plethora of sh-tty identikit two storied housing estates that passes for achievement these days.

Especially in London.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2013, 05:00:34 PM »

They look rather charming, actually.

Siloch
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2013, 09:04:44 PM »

Britain is overpopulated. England is the 5th most densly populated country in the world if small islands and city states are not included. Britain's optimum population is about 30 million according to the Optimum Population Trust (which is supported by Sir David Attenborough) so I wouldn't be arguing with a national treasure and just accept we are overpopulated Tongue

About the British countryside, it is not in a good state. I should have clarified what I meant by greenary. I meant a healthy ecosystem. Britain is one of the most treeless countries in the world, thanks to deforestation. The Scottish Highlands (and all of upland Britain) were once covered in native pinewoods, only 1% is left. I read somewhere that the Highlands were called a "wet desert". In England, they are seeing increased flooding one thing that makes floods worse is that they ripped up all the hedgerows which absorbed a lot of flood water in the past.

Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2013, 04:09:11 AM »

We have been functioning well over 30m for over a century.
Siloch
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2013, 09:32:35 AM »

We have been functioning well over 30m for over a century.

That is irrelevent. Britain could function with 100 million people but it would be a worse country to live in, adding more people to an overpopulated island (and it is overpopulated) is STUPID. You really do just get people who like to argue for the sake of it. I hope you are under 18, I would hate to think you're actually an adult.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2013, 12:26:17 PM »

It is relevant because we managed to create a global empire with the home population of over 30 million, first logged in the 1871 Census.

Our population doubled over the course of the 19th century - and society didn't collapse, did it?
Siloch
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2013, 01:17:59 PM »

It is relevant because we managed to create a global empire with the home population of over 30 million, first logged in the 1871 Census.

Our population doubled over the course of the 19th century - and society didn't collapse, did it?

Yeah Britain was awesome in the 19th century, a tiny elite got filthy rich while the majority lived in OVERCROWDED SLUMS. We had to create an empire because we were overpopulated, couldn't produce enough food and used up all our resources like wood for ships. Once again like I said an overpopulated country can function but the standard of living will be lower than a country with an optimum population, that is my objection.

California is good example of this, what Winston Churchill said about the state in the 1920s shows how adding more people to California hasn't been great for their standard of living.

"Poverty as we know it in Europe, slums, congestion, and the gloomy abodes of concentrated industrialism are nowhere to be seen." - Winston Churchill.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2013, 01:34:50 PM »

About the British countryside, it is not in a good state.

Are you sure about that? Do you see much of it? I do (and have spent most of my life doing so, I guess) and things are more or less alright. There are issues (of course) but then there are always issues, and there's a greater awareness of certain things than there used to be.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Plenty of those.

oh dear

This is... like... never a good sign.

We got rid of most of our woodland in the Iron and Bronze Ages. That's a fact.

Now, thanks (is that actually the right word? Many people would argue 'fyck no') to industrial planting and the like, there are considerably more trees than there were a century ago.

oh dear

Again, the creation - or is spread more accurate? I don't keep up with things as much as I should, I admit - of our moors and the creation (now in that case there's no question) of our heathland happened a very, very long time ago.

And was a good thing! Moors are great.

Only by morons. The opposite is actually true. And attempts to 'do something' about that utterly nonexistent problem have frequently been quite, quite absurd. Consider the attempt to cover the Flow Country - Europe's largest blanket bog - in coniferous plantations; an act of quite staggering ecological vandalism.

Actually the reason for the 'increased' flooding is climate change (to an extent; it's an error to exaggerate too much, but there have certainly been some slight adjustments to weather patterns, and that's all it takes), the regrettable tendency to build new private housing estates on obvious floodplains, and flood defence schemes of that special sort that just shift the problem elsewhere...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2013, 01:36:18 PM »

We had to create an empire because we were overpopulated,

no

no

no
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2013, 04:28:53 PM »

I look out of my window and I could probably see a dozen trees - at least.
Darth Maul
Rockefeller Republican
Rookie

« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2013, 02:13:35 AM »

No, but Tory voters go to UKIP for similar reasons Labour voters went to the BNP. So, BNP for posh people.

What so you mean?. can you please explain I know nothing about uk politics.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2013, 06:22:20 AM »
« Edited: February 07, 2013, 06:32:39 AM by Leftbehind »

They feel the party's abandoned them and their interests. In the case of Labour, working class voters tempted by less immigration and better welfare provision (nationalism with economic protectionism). With the case of Con>UKIP it's more akin to national liberalism, similar nationalism and social conservatism (but with softer edges for the middle-class' taste) with economic liberalism in its place.   
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies