SB 28-22: High Speed Rail Act (Debating) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 09:32:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 28-22: High Speed Rail Act (Debating) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SB 28-22: High Speed Rail Act (Debating)  (Read 2125 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« on: March 10, 2021, 05:59:39 PM »

This is a bill where I hope we can really make sure we understand fully & take a good amount of time debating and working on.

Especially as the version by the House is partly based on incorrect info.

I'm just flagging this up so on my part people don't think I'm ignoring it & will hopefully have more to say shortly
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 03:04:38 AM »

I'll be looking at offering an amendment on this tonight (which won't address the actual route of the line but will deal with some issues around the construction, job creation and procurement)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 04:38:55 PM »

Offering this amendment; I believe that any large construction project like this its an important time to ensure that public money is reflecting our values- I always get frustrated when politicians talk & criticise a large corporation for a major scandal but then proceed to give the same company or ones committing similar sins huge slices of public funds.

The amendment offered has both a carrot & a stick to protect workers & companies based in Atlasia.

AN ACT
To improve transport and connectivity across our nation.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the Republic of Atlasia in Congress assembled,

Section I. Title

i. The long title of this bill shall be the "Expansion of High Speed Rail and Mass Transit Act." It may be cited as the "High Speed Rail Act."

Section II. Definitions
i. High speed rail is defined as a railroad capable of supporting trains in excess of 120 mph.

Section III. Construction of High Speed Rail Arteries
i. A high speed railway shall be constructed along the western coast.
     a. The Department of Transportation should negotiate possible connections through Canada and Mexico.
ii. A high speed railway shall be constructed along the eastern coast.

Section IV. Creation of National Rail Authority
i. The National Rail Authority is hereby established under the Department of Transportation and tasked with the responsibility of overseeing construction, rail route development, and consumer-end transit program implementation.
ii. The National Rail Authority shall consist of members appointed by the President of Atlasia.
iii. The layout of the seaboard routes and placement of cross-country rail routes shall be the responsibility of the National Rail Authority.
iv. Congress shall retain the ability to legislate new routes or override the decisions of the National Rail Authority if necessary.

Section V (Fair Labour, Fair Work)

1.) No company that has undertaken the activity of blacklisting workers who belong to a trade union shall be eligible for any public contracts resulting from this legislation or paid through federal funds.

2.) In the procurement of any public works relating to this bill a preference shall be given for products and raw materials made within Atlasia.

Section VI. Appropriations
i. $80 billion shall be appropriated for the construction of new rail and adaptation of old rail for the creation of the seaboard routes.
ii. $250 million shall be appropriated for surveying and planning of cross-country rail routes.
iii. $3 billion shall be appropriated for the construction of connecting routes to off-route cities.
iv. $150 billion shall be released for construction of new rail and adaptation of old rail for the creation of cross country routes pending a finalized route plan from the National Rail Authority.
v. $8 billion shall be released for the construction of connecting routes to off-route cities pending a finalized route plan from the National Rail Authority.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 04:54:29 PM »

I did put in an amendment about contracting- specifically stopping companies getting it who blacklist trade union workers.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 05:03:10 PM »

Offering the following amendment & hope it can be put into any larger amendments/changes in the future

AN ACT
To improve transport and connectivity across our nation.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the Republic of Atlasia in Congress assembled,

Section I. Title

i. The long title of this bill shall be the "Expansion of High Speed Rail and Mass Transit Act." It may be cited as the "High Speed Rail Act."

Section II. Definitions
i. High speed rail is defined as a railroad capable of supporting trains in excess of 120 mph.

Section III. Construction of High Speed Rail Arteries
i. A high speed railway shall be constructed along the western coast.
     a. The Department of Transportation should negotiate possible connections through Canada and Mexico.
ii. A high speed railway shall be constructed along the eastern coast.

Section IV. Creation of National Rail Authority
i. The National Rail Authority is hereby established under the Department of Transportation and tasked with the responsibility of overseeing construction, rail route development, and consumer-end transit program implementation.
ii. The National Rail Authority shall consist of members appointed by the President of Atlasia.
iii. The layout of the seaboard routes and placement of cross-country rail routes shall be the responsibility of the National Rail Authority.
iv. Congress shall retain the ability to legislate new routes or override the decisions of the National Rail Authority if necessary.

Section V (Fair Labour, Fair Work)

1.) No company that has undertaken the activity of blacklisting workers who belong to a trade union shall be eligible for any public contracts resulting from this legislation or paid through federal funds.

2.) In the procurement of any public works relating to this bill a preference shall be given for products and raw materials made within Atlasia.

Section VI. Appropriations
i. $80 billion shall be appropriated for the construction of new rail and adaptation of old rail for the creation of the seaboard routes- $10 billion of this shall be appropriated for upgrading of the Northeast Corridor High-Speed Rail Line.
ii. $250 million shall be appropriated for surveying and planning of cross-country rail routes.
iii. $3 billion shall be appropriated for the construction of connecting routes to off-route cities.
iv. $150 billion shall be released for construction of new rail and adaptation of old rail for the creation of cross country routes pending a finalized route plan from the National Rail Authority.
v. $8 billion shall be released for the construction of connecting routes to off-route cities pending a finalized route plan from the National Rail Authority.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 02:39:50 PM »

Aye ftr
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies