$250,000 a year isn't rich!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 08:11:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  $250,000 a year isn't rich!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]
Author Topic: $250,000 a year isn't rich!  (Read 13606 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: October 18, 2011, 08:45:26 PM »

I'd like to raise an issue which I'm not sure has been discussed since I have not looked through the whole thread.  The tax on dividends and capital gains is a paltry 15%.  And I think that is where a lot of wealthy folks are getting off easier than they should -- the low tax rates on investment income disproportionately favors them.

It seems fundamentally wrong to me that making money for doing work is taxed at a higher rate than doing nothing and accumulating money.

Investments is not "doing nothing", for people who actually work in the field.

And what about people who don't work in the field? They still accumulate money.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #201 on: October 21, 2011, 06:42:35 PM »

I'd like to raise an issue which I'm not sure has been discussed since I have not looked through the whole thread.  The tax on dividends and capital gains is a paltry 15%.  And I think that is where a lot of wealthy folks are getting off easier than they should -- the low tax rates on investment income disproportionately favors them.

It seems fundamentally wrong to me that making money for doing work is taxed at a higher rate than doing nothing and accumulating money.

Investing money isn't doing nothing. It's alright that people thought this back in pre-enlightenment days but it hurts my head that people still think that.

They're providing capital to productive enterprises at the risk of losing that capital. Thus, they get a return on it which is dependent on the level of risk.

That it is taxed so low is largely because capital is more mobile than labour.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #202 on: October 21, 2011, 08:05:41 PM »

Investing money isn't doing nothing. It's alright that people thought this back in pre-enlightenment days but it hurts my head that people still think that.

They're providing capital to productive enterprises at the risk of losing that capital. Thus, they get a return on it which is dependent on the level of risk.

That it is taxed so low is largely because capital is more mobile than labour.

Where did they get that capital?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies