Future of Social Moderates vs. Social Liberals (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:35:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Future of Social Moderates vs. Social Liberals (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Future of Social Moderates vs. Social Liberals  (Read 2024 times)
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« on: May 04, 2013, 07:32:37 PM »

I've seen alot of posts where people think that if the GOP becomes socially moderate, they would appeal to Hispanics and the Socially liberal population of New England. Even if the GOP was socially moderate, the Democrats would still be socially liberal, and therefore be more appealing to these two groups. Please explain if you believe I'm wrong.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 09:45:07 PM »

Example of social moderate: Yes on legalizing gay marriage . Compromises on immigration. No on legalizing marijuana for medical use or otherwise, no on legal abortions, no on banning semi-automatics, yes on background checks.

Example of Social Liberal: Yes on legalizing gay marriage, yes on pathway to citizenship, yes on marijuana for medical use, could be yes or no on marijuana for other use, yes on abortion remaining legal, yes on banning semi-automatics and requiring Universal Background Checks.

So basically, Mark Kirk or Joe Manchin vs Patrick Leahy or Richard Durbin.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 10:18:43 PM »

I'd say that a moderate could be either be someone with a mix of extreme Liberal, Conservative, Libertarian, and Populist views, or it could be someone who compromises on these issues. But if the GOP wishes to survive, they should choose the latter.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 08:34:50 PM »

Yes but the majority of Democrats and Republicans support gay marriage, which is a liberal stance. The moderate stance would be civil unions.
I've seen alot of posts where people think that if the GOP becomes socially moderate, they would appeal to Hispanics and the Socially liberal population of New England. Even if the GOP was socially moderate, the Democrats would still be socially liberal, and therefore be more appealing to these two groups. Please explain if you believe I'm wrong.

The electorate isn't far-left on social issues though; they're just not in line with the GOP.  If the GOP moved to the center, it would be closer to the electorate on these issues. 
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 04:15:47 PM »

I'm not saying that all of America is socially liberal, I'm saying that the two groups the GOP is aiming at, the Hispanic population, and New England, are.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies