BREAKING: Senate Republicans block repeal of DADT (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 10:45:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: Senate Republicans block repeal of DADT (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BREAKING: Senate Republicans block repeal of DADT  (Read 14444 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« on: December 09, 2010, 05:07:20 PM »

of course, the GOP will be mocked for standing up for what is right, as it is written:

1 Pet 4:4 "They think it strange that you do not plunge with them into the same flood of dissipation, and they heap abuse on you. 5 But they will have to give account to him who is ready to judge the living and the dead."

I would say "go to hell" but even the Devil doesn't deserve such a calamity.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 05:11:58 PM »

of course, the GOP will be mocked for standing up for what is right, as it is written:

1 Pet 4:4 "They think it strange that you do not plunge with them into the same flood of dissipation, and they heap abuse on you. 5 But they will have to give account to him who is ready to judge the living and the dead."

I would say "go to hell" but even the Devil doesn't deserve such a calamity.

your sympathy for the devil is duly noted

Are you working for the Spanish Inquisition?
Does that mean that you're a 99er?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 06:11:35 PM »

but, how, exactly, am I likely gay?  the only three men I find sexy is me myself and I.  of course, I've only been brainwashed into thinking so.

Well, that explains a lot.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 06:42:54 PM »

In that case, why did Scott Brown vote against invoking cloture, when he has previously said he will support the repeal of DADT?

I don't see why Reid is trying to repeal DADT with this bill.  If he did it on its own, simply amending 10 U.S.C. § 654, I think it'd easily pass.

Republicans will not allow any bills to come to the Senate floor in the lame duck session until the Senate passes a tax bill and continuing resolution to fund the government.  Collins seems to have forgotten this, but it didn't matter.  Given who will control the House next year, it is a very good strategy for Republicans - running out the clock on the Democratic agenda, largely (but not exclusively) featuring wish list of goodies for their special interest groups that don't stand a chance of passing the House next year. 

Democrats don't like this and have resorted to call Republicans and the President names, but elections have consequences.

http://wglb-tv.blogspot.com/2010/12/new-cbs-poll-repeal-dadt-says-31.html

Yeah,  because hacks like cynic give a damn about what the people think (unless of course they are millionaires).
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 12:50:51 PM »

For the five hundredth time, homosexuality is a BEHAVIOR it's not the same as race.

I guess if you just keep repeating a lie, then you'll expect people to believe it?

Isn't that the motto of the Republican party?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 01:11:22 PM »

I guess if you just keep repeating a lie, then you'll expect people to believe it?

Isn't that the motto of the Republican party?

I believe that's the motto of virtually every political party.

Hey, at least Democrats don't ignore scientific facts if they contradict their moralistic, biblical fantasies.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 02:20:20 PM »

In other news, it appears that outgoing Senator Blanche Lincoln - who was on the wrong end of a 57% to 37% landslide, setting a new record for an incumbent Senator's defeat Wink - missed the vote because she was at a dentist appointment.

Hey, at least she managed to pass what was undoubtedly a top priority among Arkansas voters: to lower the estate tax.
Now that's a legacy that will live along those of Ted Kennedy and Howard Baker.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 04:28:05 PM »

My prediction is at least 65-35 passage, if not 70-30 as a stand-alone bill.

65-35?  that's 7 out of 42 GOP Senators....no way.  every GOP member knows whoever votes for repeal of DADT will be primaried.  at most, you'll have 2-3 GOP defections.  The GOP is simply trying to stall until January, when there wont be a snow ball's chance of this passing.  They should be honest and state their opposition.

but, again, probably only half of the GOP Senators are social conservatives at heart.

1. Collins
2. Snowe
3. Brown
4. Murkowski
5. Graham
6. Hatch
7. Paul

That's at least 7.

LOL at Hatch. The guy has become worse than McCain (not that it will save him in the primary).
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 04:34:57 PM »

My prediction is at least 65-35 passage, if not 70-30 as a stand-alone bill.

65-35?  that's 7 out of 42 GOP Senators....no way.  every GOP member knows whoever votes for repeal of DADT will be primaried.  at most, you'll have 2-3 GOP defections.  The GOP is simply trying to stall until January, when there wont be a snow ball's chance of this passing.  They should be honest and state their opposition.

but, again, probably only half of the GOP Senators are social conservatives at heart.

1. Collins
2. Snowe
3. Brown
4. Murkowski
5. Graham
6. Hatch
7. Paul

That's at least 7.

LOL at Hatch. The guy has become worse than McCain (not that it will save him in the primary).

How so?

How so what? Have you seen his voting record lately?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies