Has Russia dropped the ball on the Winter Olympics? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 08:27:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Has Russia dropped the ball on the Winter Olympics? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Has Russia dropped the ball on the Winter Olympics?  (Read 1632 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« on: January 18, 2014, 06:42:12 PM »

Well, there are pretty good beaches nearby... Except that, of course, it is winter Smiley There are some pretty famous caves also - except they are across the border in an internationally-unrecognized splinter of Georgia, where most people would not dare going and where there is no infrastructure for anything, anyway. I believe, there are some pretty fascinating oil pipelines and port facilities in Novorossiysk as well - it is not TOO far, if you are in for that sort of thing.

Sochi has always been Russia´s Cancun - well, with the obvious caveat that even a Russian can swim there only 4 or 5 months a year and that the hotels and other tourist facilities have always been fairly substandard. A great place for winter Olympics it is.

There are some direct flights from the West. Aeroflot and its subsidiaries fly from Istanbul and Tel Aviv, and are adding a flight from Frankfurt for the Olympics. Turkish Airlines also have flights from Istanbul, and a small Turkish low cost airline flies from Trabzon (as also does one of Russia´s more obscure carriers). Edelweiss (a small Swiss airline) is going to be flying from Zurich and Scandinavians from Oslo for the same purpose. A couple of provincial Russian carriers fly from Milan and one from Prague (keep in mind though, that most Western companies would not let their staff use these airlines for Russian flights: they do this to avoid high premiums that the insurers would otherwise insist on charging, for whatever reason you might imagine). Ah, and Air Moldova flies from Chisinau - also, Europe, of sorts.

Lol, Aeoroflot. Over my dead body... Tongue
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 03:53:57 AM »

Well, there are pretty good beaches nearby... Except that, of course, it is winter Smiley There are some pretty famous caves also - except they are across the border in an internationally-unrecognized splinter of Georgia, where most people would not dare going and where there is no infrastructure for anything, anyway. I believe, there are some pretty fascinating oil pipelines and port facilities in Novorossiysk as well - it is not TOO far, if you are in for that sort of thing.

Sochi has always been Russia´s Cancun - well, with the obvious caveat that even a Russian can swim there only 4 or 5 months a year and that the hotels and other tourist facilities have always been fairly substandard. A great place for winter Olympics it is.

There are some direct flights from the West. Aeroflot and its subsidiaries fly from Istanbul and Tel Aviv, and are adding a flight from Frankfurt for the Olympics. Turkish Airlines also have flights from Istanbul, and a small Turkish low cost airline flies from Trabzon (as also does one of Russia´s more obscure carriers). Edelweiss (a small Swiss airline) is going to be flying from Zurich and Scandinavians from Oslo for the same purpose. A couple of provincial Russian carriers fly from Milan and one from Prague (keep in mind though, that most Western companies would not let their staff use these airlines for Russian flights: they do this to avoid high premiums that the insurers would otherwise insist on charging, for whatever reason you might imagine). Ah, and Air Moldova flies from Chisinau - also, Europe, of sorts.

Lol, Aeoroflot. Over my dead body... Tongue

Actually, ex-pats almost have to fly Aeroflot inside Russia (all via Moscow): most foreign employers would not even think of paying for anything else Smiley

Aeroflot is not too bad, BTW. Food is quite decent and the plains are fairly new. Also, same alliance as Delta-KLM-Air France.

I was jesting, but I'll admit to being prejudiced against Aeroflot.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies