Hillary!/Jeanne!?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:54:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Hillary!/Jeanne!?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hillary!/Jeanne!?  (Read 1355 times)
socaldem
skolodji

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 06, 2014, 01:01:21 AM »

This would be taking a play from the Clinton/Gore '92 playbook, when Clinton's selection of Gore--a running mate similar in age and from the same region was seen as unconventional.

Both Clinton and Shaheen are similar in age and represent the northeast (though Hillary, of course, has roots in the Midwest and South, also). Shaheen is a proven campaigner and her selection would amplify the kick-assness of the ticket with suburban women while presenting a feminist ticket that would have widespread appeal.

In fact, I hate to say it, but the optics of a male VP for Hillary might be challenging. This may be going out on a limb, but I think it's worth discussing.

Hillary isn't exactly a knock 'em dead speaker/campaigner. A male veep that is too flashy, aggressive or outspoken (O'Malley comes to mind) could come off as douchey and be seen as trying to outshine/overpower/#mansplain Hillary, which could frustrate liberal and feminist supporters, while reinforcing the latent chauvenism of undecided voters. Meanwhile, a more mild-mannered candidate could come off as milquetoast/boring and even wimpy (Hickenlooper might fall into this category, though I would avoid him because he hasn't proven to be particularly popular in Colorado).

Hillary has plenty of experience and doesn't need a seasoned politician as her VP. She is better off with a fresh, energetic face, who knows how to avoid gaffes (unlike some VPs!) and is an experience, proven, aggressive campaigner.

Meanwhile, if she chooses a male VP, I guarantee it that the male VP will be faced with sexist questions about what its like to be second-fiddle to a woman or other questions/comments with sexist implications and I do not have confidence that ANY straight male politician will be able to effectively navigate these uncomfortable waters without gaffes. A female VP would not face such challenges...

I really think Shaheen should be number one on her shortlist. Plus, she's a Clinton loyalist who helped breathe life into her campaign in 2008 with a critical endorsement that helped propel her to a critical victory in the NH primary. The Clintons, of course, have an affinity for NH, thanks to Bill's 1992 comeback kid win....

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 01:12:36 AM »

You know, I've always been against the "female VP" train of thought, but after seeing Shaheen successfully surfing the wave on her boogieboard last night, this may be a good idea.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 01:33:17 AM »

You know, I've always been against the "female VP" train of thought, but after seeing Shaheen successfully surfing the wave on her boogieboard last night, this may be a good idea.

Introducing Madame President and Madame VP:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/hillary-clinton-home-campaigning-new-hampshire-article-1.1998473
http://www.bostonherald.com/news_opinion/us_politics/2014/11/hillary_clinton_fails_to_draw_at_jeanne_shaheen_event

The ticket would get bonus points for the inevitable paleocon freakout of an #allfemale ticket: The end of men! Women are taking over! Rampant affirmative action! Shrill! Weakness!

The Clintons have always been very good at turning Republican overreach into personal popularity. Obama, for all his policy successes, has not been effective at political jiujitsu.

Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 01:35:14 AM »

Shaheen only win because brown was her opponebt. Sununu or Innis would have shown her the door.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 01:42:38 AM »
« Edited: November 06, 2014, 01:45:44 AM by socaldem »

Shaheen only win because brown was her opponent. Sununu or Innis would have shown her the door.

Well, Maggie Hassan also won, so she wasn't the only Dem to survive in NH. I think another candidate could have made it a little closer (though admittedly with a 15,000 vote victory there isn't much room for error) but I think she could have still pulled it off...

Dems in red states and the South lost big. The blue state senate seats that went down were: Iowa (Braley sucked) and Colorado (Udall super sucked). Meanwhile, NH is known to be swingy and her victory looks great compared to the epic loss of the once-heralded candidacy of Paul Hodes in 2010.

At this point, it doesn't matter. A win is a win and defeating the infamous Scott Brown is bonus points for her, not a demerit.
KCDem

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 01:45:06 AM »

Desperate move is desperate.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 01:46:46 AM »

Huh? What's desperate?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 02:35:26 AM »

KC has seamlessly transitioned from "permanent Democratic majority" to "permanent Republican majority" in a matter of 24 hours.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 02:40:07 AM »

KC has seamlessly transitioned from "permanent Democratic majority" to "permanent Republican majority" in a matter of 24 hours.

How old is he?
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 03:13:29 AM »

Seems to me that if she wanted to pick a female senator around her age she'd be more likely to go with Amy Klobuchar.

Well Klobuchar supported Obama in 2008. She's not a Clinton insider, so not happening. Secondly, Klobuchar contrasts too much with Clinton in her folksy persona, which is not favorable to Clinton. Better to double down on the strong, experienced professional woman--and Shaheen, who has been both governor and senator of a key swing state and knows how to fight tough elections is arguably the second most qualified woman to be President in the entire United States.

Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 03:51:07 AM »

Seems to me that if she wanted to pick a female senator around her age she'd be more likely to go with Amy Klobuchar.

Well Klobuchar supported Obama in 2008. She's not a Clinton insider, so not happening. Secondly, Klobuchar contrasts too much with Clinton in her folksy persona, which is not favorable to Clinton. Better to double down on the strong, experienced professional woman--and Shaheen, who has been both governor and senator of a key swing state and knows how to fight tough elections is arguably the second most qualified woman to be President in the entire United States.

How about Martha Coakley? Smiley
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 04:04:42 AM »

Hmmm... would make Hill look really good. Clinton/Coakley v. Walker/Brown LOL
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 04:05:40 AM »

Hmmm... would make Hill look really good. Clinton/Coakley v. Walker/Brown LOL

Massachusetts would be tossup. LOL
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 04:11:43 AM »

Klobuchar in 13 years younger than Clinton.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 04:16:47 AM »

No chance Hillary's picking a younger woman that would make her look old and wrinkled in comparison.
If she has to pick a woman, it will be some obnoxious character, like Barbara Boxer.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 07:48:03 AM »

Shaheen only win because brown was her opponebt. Sununu or Innis would have shown her the door.
I agree with that statement.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2014, 06:53:31 PM »

Shaheen is only a couple of months younger than Clinton it would make zero sense to have someone as old as her as VP.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2014, 09:07:33 PM »

Hassan would be the better bet if she looks to NH.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2014, 11:27:17 PM »

The Clinton/ Gore amplification is misunderstood. They were both from the South, but that was useful because Democrats needed the South. Democrats are likely to win northeastern women.

If Shaheen hadn't refused to be Gore's running mate in 2000, he might have become President. But she wasn't interested in it then.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2014, 05:16:41 AM »

Senator Shelley Berkley would be a better choice.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2014, 02:25:50 PM »

Shaheen is not a very good politician. Bad idea. There are better women choices if Clinton wants to go down this route.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies