ALEA IACTA EST: A Roman Republic Game (Senate Thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:22:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  ALEA IACTA EST: A Roman Republic Game (Senate Thread) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ALEA IACTA EST: A Roman Republic Game (Senate Thread)  (Read 4147 times)
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« on: December 19, 2017, 10:37:53 PM »

I stand in support of Motions 1-4, and 6. It is high time that the Republic had order and civility restored to it. I trust in the hand of Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus to guide the Republic through these troubled times and tor restore regular order to our Republic in short order.
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 09:01:55 PM »
« Edited: December 25, 2017, 09:39:41 PM by YPestis25 »

I stand in favor of Motions 9 and 10. We must ensure that our client's territorial integrity is secure. Furthermore, the Dacian campaign is an excellent opportunity to secure our Greek holdings from raids from the north.
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 09:38:45 PM »

I must stand opposed to Motions 9 and 10. How can we let a foreign power dictate to us our foreign policy? And not only that, but Thrace seeks to have two Roman legions deployed to their defense. Tell me Senators, what benefit does this give to our great Republic. Should Thrace consider making itself a client state of our Republic, perhaps then we can discuss sending legions to their defense.

OOC: Thrace is actually a Client state of the Republic.

My king, Cotys I of Thrace, has offered you his brothers and his son as Auxillary recruits for your legions and half of all wealth gained from conquering Dacia in return for the treaty and the aid. Thrace was a traitor a hundred years ago, but now, we always pay back those who help and aid us with what we promised then.

OOC: Whoops, I'll edit my post. I need to do my research
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 11:26:48 PM »

On Motion N°7, on this motion I vote aye. Clodius and his band of violent thugs have been a threat to our Republic for too long. I join my friend Pompey in supporting the motion.

On Motion N°8, on this motion I must regretfully vote nay and I would urge all other senators to do so as well. Pompey Magnus has been a capable and honorable Consul and Dictator. Pompey's son is certainly competent enough to lead our armies, however I must oppose this due to the timing. To have an appointment come so close on the heels of Pompey Magnus stepping down from the dictatorship and vacating his Consulship puts us in a dangerous position of legitimizing hereditary positions in our Republic.

On Motion N°9, on this motion I vote aye.

On Motion N°10, on this motion I vote aye.

On Motion N°11, on this motion I vote nay. For the Senate to legitimize again our legions being paid by their commanders instead of by the state treasury sets a dangerous precedent. For with the pay comes loyalty, and there may one day come a time when this Senate must face a vengeful army led by a commander with that army's loyalty.
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 12:10:31 AM »

On Motion N°12, I vote aye.

On Motion N°13, I vote nay, and would urge my colleagues in the Senate to do the same. Pompey the Younger, despite whatever disagreements this body may have with him, has certainly not warranted the title of Enemy of the State.

On Motion N°14, I vote aye.

On Motion N°15, I vote nay. Rome has never, and will not begin to give up territory which has been seized at sword point. This motion is just another example of the pervasiveness of Egyptian influence in Roman political life, and that influence must be brought to a close. I must bring to the Senate knowledge that Ptolemy approached me, with an offer of handing over Clodius Pulcher in exchange for Cyprus, and I am concerned that a similar bargain has been made here. I repeat my original statement, Roman territory will not be given up at the threat of violence or whatever other means Ptolemy may contrive.

On Motion N°16, I vote aye, and would strongly urge my colleagues to do the same.
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 10:56:19 AM »

BRIEF INTERVENTION FROM CATULLUS

"Though I speak as an envoy and lack the right to vote, I would point out that the honourable Cicero was rather less scathing about Egyptian influence very recently. Who has bought his silver tongue today?"

Oh Catullus, but do actions not speak louder than words? Tell me friend, what action have I undertaken which has endeared me to the Egyptians. I refused in the end their attempt to hurt Rabirius, and I refused again their attempt to seize Cyprus out from under our noses. I am certainly curious how you, Catullus, have come to know so much of the Egyptian Pharaoh's inner counsel.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies