Is Ted Cruz Done?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 10:54:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is Ted Cruz Done?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Is Ted Cruz Done?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 92

Author Topic: Is Ted Cruz Done?  (Read 5163 times)
PeteB
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2016, 12:49:04 AM »

Yes he's done, but truthfully he never had a path to nomination.

I do believe that he will win one or two states on Supertuesday and will stay until the end. If he can't be POTUS, he will want to influence the platform and policies of the candidate!
P123

Political Matrix
E: 3.64, S: 3.20

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2016, 01:07:53 AM »

Okay, so we all know that Ted Cruz isn't eligible to be president anyway, but bear with me for a second.

It's looking like our Canadian friend might be finishing THIRD tonight.  If Cruz can't win South Carolina, a state where over 70% of GOP voters were white evangelicals, where can he win?

Is tonight the end of Rafael Eduardo Cruz?

He'll win a few super tuesday primaries, that's pretty much it.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2016, 05:50:44 AM »

No, he's not done, but it's close.

Trump is still facing a situation where most of the party doesn't like him. He's not conservative at all, and he's not establishment at all. I think he would lose in a two-way race vs. anyone--however, I think he'll win the more likely three-way race vs. Cruz and Rubio.

Rubio, indeed, hasn't won anything, so it's silly to call him the favorite, or even joint-favorite. Yes, the establishment lane is starting to coalesce around him, and while this is a different time than prior elections, that still means a lot. But how much? Not sure, and regardless, he'll need to start getting some wins ASAP. He can't wait until Florida to finally hit the "...-1" part of this evolving "3-2-1" strategy.

Crus will need an incredible Super Tuesday result to put him towards the nomination, and I don't think he'll get it. Devil's advocate is that he does have support from both Evangelical social conservatives and Tea Partiers--probably more so than any other candidate in recent memory. He could get some big results and outlast the others. I just think it's less than probable after this result.

I've never thought this, officially. And I don't really get pleasure from it--I'd prefer a few of the other candidates. But here it is: I hereby predict that Donald J. Trump will win the Republican nomination.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2016, 06:12:40 AM »

Not yet. If he's second place in Nevada, he'll be back.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2016, 08:17:42 AM »

Cruz may hang around forever, hoping that nobody gets a majority of the delegates, but Cruz has a zero path to the nomination.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2016, 09:27:58 AM »

Since when does a .1 loss in SC to Rubio mean he's done but being 6 points behind Cruz in NH means he's the next nominee? Lets stop this narrative that Rubio is the top dog when he's yet to win anything. Cruz will continue and keep climbing guaranteed

Although I see Cruz making lots of improvements and being able to win some states like Texas and Oklahoma, I fail to see him winning on decisive regions. Which kind of inroads can he make on Michigan,  Ohio, Wisconsin and Illinois? Those are places with a lot of delegates where Trump, Rubio and Kasich will fight for First and Second places. Cruz however won't go well there and possibly Ben Carson will always play a spoiler,  if he continues to run. 
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2016, 09:33:41 AM »

Face it, everybody's done except for Trump.
DS0816
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2016, 09:33:49 AM »

The best Ted Cruz can do is sort of mimic the 2008 results of Mike Huckabee.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2016, 10:34:48 AM »

Remember, Cruz's 3rd place finish came after both Trump and Rubio targeted him as their #1 competition in SC.

Trump hasn't taken on Rubio yet.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2016, 11:07:02 AM »

I forget where I read it (I think FiveThirtyEight), but Cruz is actually in a much bigger hole than it appears. Most of his best states (including TX) are proportional, whereas most of his worst states are winner take all.

This is a great point. If Trump continues to win the winner take all states, and does even half way decently in the proportional states, it's all over. Cruz taking third in a state in which he should have done well is an indication of just how much weaker he is than he'd like us to believe.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies