Baltimore's Francis Scott Key Bridge collapses (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 08:56:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Baltimore's Francis Scott Key Bridge collapses (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Baltimore's Francis Scott Key Bridge collapses  (Read 3173 times)
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« on: March 27, 2024, 06:35:32 PM »
« edited: March 27, 2024, 11:34:57 PM by Open Source Intelligence »

"And the rockets' red glare
B-bombs bursting in air
Gave proof through the night
That our bridge was still there..."

Oops.

Kidding aside (I've laughed at the "P-Diddy blew up the bridge" memes), it's a massive hit to the Mid-Atlantic economy and transporation infrastructure plus the people that unfortunately died. As far as rebuilding to pull a number out of my backside I would think we're talking 5 years at a minimum, probably more like 8. If they have to do redesign instead of a pure rebuild it's going to be longer. There's going to be a pressing need to clean up the bay to allow the port to become functional again and that'll be first priority. Baltimore is going to lose their port for a period of time, and they're also going to lose residual economic effects from everyone that used that highway the bridge was on as well as the port as a central nexus.

As far as the federal government are going to pay full costs for this. We're not hitting up the ship's owner's insurance obligations on this, really? I know maritime shipping ownership and liability is opaque as hell on purpose, but seriously? I hope they're just planning to cover the upfront costs and then go after that aspect of it all later in a lawsuit that will roll on for years and probably get settled in the year 2036 or something.
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2024, 07:25:00 AM »

This was a tragedy, but the reactions I'm seeing reflect poorly on our country. Some are making it worse than it appears while ignoring how much worse it could have been if authorities didn't act in a timely fashion. So much for #Backtheblue.

Welcome to the litigious Monday Morning Quarterback society that is 21st Century America.
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2024, 03:14:32 PM »

Must read on this.

https://www.ft.com/content/8e38759f-791c-4b27-9fc2-25ca02a8f4c7

In short, boats are getting ever bigger to the point that ports like Baltimore are not big enough to handle them.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies