The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:39:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III  (Read 210554 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« on: January 20, 2014, 03:41:03 PM »

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 08:20:51 PM »

Bridge collapses in Minnesota killing 13 people because of faulty gusset plates that had succumbed to the stress of all the weight and corrosive road salts and pigeon poop... and the bridge, designed so that the bridge fails if one component fails, collapsed.

13 dead.  Later that year, 5 Republicans in the state house vote to override the governor's veto on a gas tax increase to fund extra bridge maintenance and repair and the GOP goes on a witch hunt to get them primaried.  I believe one of those 5 remain in office today.

Boston bombing:  3 dead.  TWO PEOPLE HAVE TO DIE FOR THIS!!

What is wrong with you people?

Something tells me if it was one of their loved ones' limbs that got blown off they wouldn't appreciate them being glossed over by simply saying "3 dead". Also the ridiculousness of implying that legislators voting against a bill after the bridge collapse already occured as being worse than the Boston bombers.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 10:14:52 PM »

Bridge collapses in Minnesota killing 13 people because of faulty gusset plates that had succumbed to the stress of all the weight and corrosive road salts and pigeon poop... and the bridge, designed so that the bridge fails if one component fails, collapsed.

13 dead.  Later that year, 5 Republicans in the state house vote to override the governor's veto on a gas tax increase to fund extra bridge maintenance and repair and the GOP goes on a witch hunt to get them primaried.  I believe one of those 5 remain in office today.

Something tells me if it was one of their loved ones' limbs that got blown off they wouldn't appreciate them being glossed over by simply saying "3 dead". Also the ridiculousness of implying that legislators voting against a bill after the bridge collapse already occured as being worse than the Boston bombers.

How do you think a Pakistani child might feel about Obama for murdering his grandmother?

This would be comparable if "Obama" (as in, the military) was going around Pakistan trying to kill as many innocent grandmothers as possible.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 10:31:06 PM »

How do you think a Pakistani child might feel about Obama for murdering his grandmother?

This would be comparable if "Obama" (as in, the military) was going around Pakistan trying to kill as many innocent grandmothers as possible.

Obama is Commander-in-Chief, and the drone program has shown itself to be little more effective in avoiding collateral damage than standard bombing raids. And on numerous occasions has the US directly targeted civilians (Vietnam, Serbia, Iraq, etc) and avoided any punishment.

I'm not a fan of drone strikes, just for the record. I agree that they're not nearly good enough at preventing collateral damage. That said, if the US military had the same goal as the Boston bombers, Pakistan would be a barren wasteland right now.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 10:42:44 PM »

Good Icespear.  You're not a fan of drone strikes.  I'm not a fan of the death penalty.  I believe terrorist acts can be prevented in a better way than killing the terrorists.

I find it odd that you're willing to accept collateral damage from drone strikes, which promotes better than nearly anything else we do, which is terrorism against the United States.  But you want blood for the terrorist acts!

That's nice and all, but it fails to address the terrorist acts that have already occurred. If we treat Tsarnaev nice and special he's not going to back in time and undo what he did. He still deserves to pay for it.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 10:53:06 PM »

Good Icespear.  You're not a fan of drone strikes.  I'm not a fan of the death penalty.  I believe terrorist acts can be prevented in a better way than killing the terrorists.

I find it odd that you're willing to accept collateral damage from drone strikes, which promotes better than nearly anything else we do, which is terrorism against the United States.  But you want blood for the terrorist acts!

The reason we lost in Vietnam is because we didn't bomb them hard enough, amirite?

You're ridiculously off topic now. Drone strikes and Vietnam and whatever else is irrelevant to the original point. You think drone strikes help fuel terrorism. I can see the logic in that. Regardless, what's done is done. I'm not going to think a terrorist and mass murderer should get off easy just because people can always find some way to point the blame to America in the end. When some random American guy shoots up a mall, nobody waxes poetic about how it's all society's fault and they were the true victim, so why do it for a terrorist? If you want to have a discussion about how to prevent more Boston bombings, then I'm all ears. As for the one that already occurred? Hang em high.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 07:02:09 PM »

Disgusting classism and Southron-hate from our enlightened progressive brethern:

The average IQ of the United States would increase by several points.

Porous borders for the first few years could solve that problem. Also send the wingnuts from the North down there.

What would be left of America would be an infinitely better place.

I like how you completely ignored the context of my tongue in cheek quote.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 10:51:09 PM »

Glad to see you support the collapse of civil society. Wouldn't be surprised to find you approving of stealing or arson.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 11:11:36 PM »

Quite frankly, the only thing I see "absurd" here is the fact that this gentleman chose to post my writing in the Deluge.

Hilariously awful non sequiturs most definitely fall under the umbrella of absurd, ignorant, and bad.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 01:05:28 PM »

Yes, 50,000 Americans died and some 2 million+ Vietnamese died in that war, but

Continuing in the lengthy Atlas tradition of "Yes, [utterly horrible, career-defining thing, but]..."

Except you could argue every president has an [utterly horrible, career-defining thing] and thus should all be HP.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 01:16:41 PM »

Yes, 50,000 Americans died and some 2 million+ Vietnamese died in that war, but

Continuing in the lengthy Atlas tradition of "Yes, [utterly horrible, career-defining thing, but]..."

Except you could argue every president has an [utterly horrible, career-defining thing] and thus should all be HP.

Sorry, but causing the deaths of millions of people kind of disqualifies everything else LBJ did. I mean I hate to go here, but you know Hitler was a big support of animal rights, right? I guess we should totally excuse World War II for the great strides Nazi Germany made combating animal abuse.

Vietnam War = career defining, cannot be overlooked, automatically nullifies everything good he has ever done
Sticking Japanese Americans in internment camps = Oh, that's just a small thing of many. Huge FF! Best president ever!

Roll Eyes
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 08:36:25 PM »

Context:
Is Rasmussen still the Republican-leaning firm it was (now that Scott Rasmussen has left)?
Interesting. But like most Rasmussen polls, should be taken with a grain of salt. We'll see if another poll corroborates it.

I don't get it. Are you implying Rasmussen has a good track record? And it's not like you can say it's about hypocrisy, since this particular poll has the Democrat doing much BETTER than expected.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 10:46:56 PM »

Judges are not there to express the will of the people, legislatures are.

Then why have legislatures done such a terrible job of it?

it's all total nonsense.  my hunch is that baby Boomer liberals have this psychological need to see society progress to these previously unknown heights of tolerance, and by allowing a few thousand gay couples in each state marry they actually think they're making a Rosa Parks-esque imprint on society.  

not a few liberals compared Edie Windsor directly to Parks.  keep in mind Windsor's case only reached the SCOTUS because she had to pay a $363k tax as a result of her partner dying!  Rosa Parks wouldn't have known which real estate agents to hire if she had $363k in 1955 dollars.  my father, himself a baby boomer Jewish liberal, said something to me like "your generation will take it for granted, but gay marriage is revolutionizing society in a way you probably can't understand".  I just glared at him, as I usually do when discussing any topic this side of minor-conference college basketball.

the end result of this is that gays are joining the post-WW2 Jews as the most privileged group in world history: not disadvantaged at all by any demonstrable economic statistic, yet enjoying multiple "extra" protections under the law.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 11:28:37 AM »

Judges are not there to express the will of the people, legislatures are.

Then why have legislatures done such a terrible job of it?

it's all total nonsense.  my hunch is that baby Boomer liberals have this psychological need to see society progress to these previously unknown heights of tolerance, and by allowing a few thousand gay couples in each state marry they actually think they're making a Rosa Parks-esque imprint on society. 

not a few liberals compared Edie Windsor directly to Parks.  keep in mind Windsor's case only reached the SCOTUS because she had to pay a $363k tax as a result of her partner dying!  Rosa Parks wouldn't have known which real estate agents to hire if she had $363k in 1955 dollars.  my father, himself a baby boomer Jewish liberal, said something to me like "your generation will take it for granted, but gay marriage is revolutionizing society in a way you probably can't understand".  I just glared at him, as I usually do when discussing any topic this side of minor-conference college basketball.

the end result of this is that gays are joining the post-WW2 Jews as the most privileged group in world history: not disadvantaged at all by any demonstrable economic statistic, yet enjoying multiple "extra" protections under the law.

I don't see what's particularly absurd about that. The bolded part is a bit excessive but there's a grain of truth to the post.

The bolded bigotry ruined what otherwise would've been a rational point. It wasn't a "bit excessive", it was more like a full speed launch into idiotville.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies