Religion and the 2004 Election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:49:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Political Essays & Deliberation (Moderator: Torie)
  Religion and the 2004 Election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Religion and the 2004 Election  (Read 5925 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: October 16, 2005, 08:15:23 PM »

It would be appropriate to place the "mainline" protestants together. That includes the Episcopalians, Methodists, Presbyterians, UCCers, much of the Lutheran groups, as well as some smaller denominations. They all share very similar theology, but differ primarily on their polity, or interal governance.

you gotta figure al's got that down pretty well.  evangelical prots, mainline prots, catholics have different voting proclivities as well.  mainline protestants used to go for repbulicans, while catholics and evangelicals went for democrats.  nowadays, mainline protestants often vote democrat and evangelical protestants vote republican.  I suppose that is a gross oversimplification.  and catholics, once a reliable bloc for the democrats, have been moving toward the GOP.  (whether you view it as republicans chipping away at Catholic support, slowly, or the support for democrats eroding, slowly, probably depends on whether you're a fan of folks like Karl Rove, or just don't like the DNC, as they're two different things.)  in fact, I think I read that in 2000, about 51% of catholics went for Bush, so 2000, and not 2004 was the tipping election, or the election when a majority of catholics went the other way.  As Al suggests, the support may be swinging back to the DNC, however.  I view this less as Democrats doing well, and more as Republicans doing poorly.  By the way, Al, I though you weren't into pushing the politics of ethnicity and division, but rather an idealized moralistic socialdemocrat version of statism in which a rising tide lifts all boats.  But as long as you're delving into religiocentricity or ethnoreligious voting enclaves, give us a stat or two on hindus, muslims, jews, buddhists and taoists while you're at it.  I'd read that the GOP lost big in the muslim community between '00 and '04 (Any breakdown between sunni, shia, and wahabbi?); that the jews remained pretty steady at 25 and 75 for republican and democrat, respectively, with hassidic and orthodox jew remaining two of the most reliable GOP blocs, and reform jew being on of the most reliable DNC voting blocs; and hindus pretty steady at about 66 to 33 respectively (Gonesha is still a blue elephant.  the free association can't be bad for the GOP.)  Never read any stats on Taoists or Buddhists.  And, of course, Confucianists don't vote.  At least none of them I know vote.  My guess is that not too many taoists or buddhists vote either, which is probably why there's not enough of a sample to do stats.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies