Vermont’s Black Leaders: "We Were Invisible to Sanders" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:53:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Vermont’s Black Leaders: "We Were Invisible to Sanders" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Vermont’s Black Leaders: "We Were Invisible to Sanders"  (Read 5615 times)
MM876
Rookie
United States

« on: February 17, 2016, 07:09:28 PM »

I am disappointed by this, but it makes sense given Vermont's black population. He paid less attention to minorities when they were an incredibly small amount of his constituency and could afford to focus on one issue as a senator.

I think Bernie's gotten better and this and frankly I think his current position is equal to or better than that of Hillary. He's made tremendous strides to reach out, and while he got it wrong a lot at first with BLM in particular, he's made a serious effort to reach out and I'm impressed by it.
MM876
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 08:51:14 PM »

Yea, here's a montage of Bernie paying no mind to issues facing the black community.

[snip]

And according to the U.S. Census, there are roughly 3,500 black people in Vermont as of 2010, living in possibly the most progressive state in the country.  What exactly did you want him to do to "reach out" beyond being on the right side of just about every issue?  

This is getting a little ugly, but you knew it was coming.  I'm just glad the wink-wink-Jew card isn't being thrown around and rather it just some strawman argument that making income inequality a theme means you are inherently ignorant of other issues.

All of this is irrelevant as Sanders does not support reparations. It was never about civil rights. Bernie could have literally cradled MLK in his arms as King died and it wouldn't matter to these people.

NOBODY supports reparations! Ta-Nehisi Coates had a nice idea, but something like 15% of the American public supports reparations, it's just not something that can happen--at least not now. The other issues Sanders champions are things he has the people on--minimum wage, single payer, etc., but not reparations. It's not like any other candidate supports reparations either, at least Sanders has described what some form of help to AA communities through federal funding would work.

And in regards to Clinton caring about AAs, I'll only note this: her husband, between welfare reform and the crime bill, hurt AAs more than any Democratic president in at least five decades. Her repeated statements that her husband was the greatest thing to ever happen to the budget concern me, especially in this regard.

Yeah he does claim it was him in the sit-in. Because it's been proven to be him. This is just trying to Swiftboat Sanders; people are making crap up and others cite the guy who made crap up, and then there's a consensus that the lie is true.

She fought for single-payer in the 90s. Other than that, I can't think of legitimate progressive change. She did well with the CHIP system, but her time in Congress was nothing spectacular, and her tenure as Secretary of State was closer to Kissinger than Bryan.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies