College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:10:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 22
Author Topic: College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread  (Read 54649 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: March 12, 2016, 09:59:18 PM »
« edited: March 12, 2016, 10:04:45 PM by Grad Students are the Worst »

Let's simplify this.

A campus is a home. That's what it is, ultimately for students who live there. Every home up and down the country has 'house rules'. Sometimes you're asked to not to swear, sometimes you're asked not to bring up certain issues. Do people bang on private homes and demand that 1st Amendment rights be protected? No. Say anything homophobic in my home and your out the front door in my home. Does that make us 'special snowflakes?' No.

Sometimes students just don't want sh-t brought through their front door, because they are concerned about people they live with. That's all it is. They will leave college and that will be the end of that. But while they are in college, they might be a little sensitive about the people they are sharing their communal space with. That's all it is. And it's not new.

Interesting.  You think that a university should effectively function as a private residence, where the household "decision maker" is the majority will of the students in that school (or something similar), and that this discretionary power overrides any obligation (if any) to provide a platform for academic or intellectual freedom?  If not, what are the limitations of the analogy you're making?

I think this conversation also may lead toward dealing with the point Al raised about the specifics of at whose event/invitation/etc. the political speech in question is.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #226 on: March 12, 2016, 11:38:40 PM »

I graduated college in May 2014. When did this culture begin?

I don't remember the term safe space or trigger warning being used when I went to school and my school was overwhelmingly liberal.

We didn't have fraternities or sororities either. So I don't know.

Maybe I was just in a bubble.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #227 on: March 14, 2016, 06:12:31 AM »
« Edited: March 14, 2016, 06:14:15 AM by dead0man »

High School Removes Swastikas From Production Of ‘The Producers

idiots
You must be logged in to read this quote.
These are the people running the schools.  Someone that can't imagine a context where a Swastika would be appropriate in a high school.  Freaking morons!  <shakes head>
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #228 on: March 15, 2016, 08:51:57 AM »

Honestly they really should consider not putting on The Producers if that's their attitude. Or The Sound of Music.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #229 on: March 15, 2016, 09:42:26 AM »

I graduated college in May 2014. When did this culture begin?

I don't remember the term safe space or trigger warning being used when I went to school and my school was overwhelmingly liberal.

We didn't have fraternities or sororities either. So I don't know.

Maybe I was just in a bubble.

Graduated in '12 from UW in Seattle - not exactly a right wing stronghold. I don't remember any of this either, you're not alone. I do sometimes get the sense that this is especially prevalent on private, exclusive campuses i.e. Yale, Dartmouth, Wesleyan etc. I'm sure it happens at big public universities too (see: Missouri) but it seems to be particularly prevalent at private liberal arts colleges.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #230 on: March 15, 2016, 01:13:15 PM »

Honestly they really should consider not putting on The Producers if that's their attitude. Or The Sound of Music.
Or learning about WWII.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #231 on: March 15, 2016, 02:43:30 PM »

Or learning about WWII.

Unless its only about how privileged Americans bombed poor people and minorities.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #232 on: March 16, 2016, 09:22:21 AM »

ASUCD Executive Office issues apology following accusations of cultural appropriation and fat shaming
youngohioan216
Rookie
United States

« Reply #233 on: March 16, 2016, 10:25:35 PM »

link - WaPo
Somebody threw a tequila party, tiny sombreros were worn.  Clearly that's a huge violation of somebody's civil rights so heads need to roll.  Administrators at colleges are little babies, afraid of perpetual victims.  My favorite part.

I know it's Alex Jones but he makes great points here about these types of liberal douchebags who think the Soviet Union/Communism is cool. PATHETIC SCUM!!!!!! YOU NEED TO HAVE YOUR JAWS BROKEN!!!!!!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooNxJnf_UAI
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #234 on: March 17, 2016, 05:21:55 AM »

“To be honest, I was shocked. February 19 was Remembrance Day for Japanese internment during WWII, and some of my Japanese friends were heavily traumatized by seeing their culture mocked in such a clearly racist fashion,” Jones said in a Facebook comment on the Block Party’s event page. “Not to mention, as a Heavy-American, I don’t appreciate the blatant Fat-Shaming involved with caricaturing one of the few sports traditionally enjoyed by Heavy individuals. I honestly feel reparations payments are in order to affected individuals, and that those responsible for the grossly negligent oversight should immediately resign from their ASUCD posts.”
So yeah, that last guy was a troll.  Nobody actually said "as a Heavy-American".  I know a lot of you had to fight back giggles when you read that and then felt super guilty about it.  Do perpetual victims have a "hail mary" type thing they say when they sin against multiculturalism?  Well you didn't need to say it after giggling.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #235 on: March 18, 2016, 07:49:31 PM »

African-American trans woman and LGBTQ activist speaker cancels lecture at Brown because it's more important to hate Jews than it is to support a black trans woman.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #236 on: March 18, 2016, 09:53:40 PM »

African-American trans woman and LGBTQ activist speaker cancels lecture at Brown because it's more important to hate Jews than it is to support a black trans woman.

At this point, I don't think it can be said that campus BDS is anything but a full-fledged hate group.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #237 on: March 19, 2016, 12:27:03 AM »

I've been to events at Hillel houses. Hillel houses are nice places. I have a more positive opinion of Hillel houses than I have of Janet Mock.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #238 on: March 21, 2016, 06:38:07 AM »

I've been to events at Hillel houses. Hillel houses are nice places. I have a more positive opinion of Hillel houses than I have of Janet Mock.

The unsettling thing about this is that they were targeting a Jewish campus group rather than an explicitly Israeli one. The idea that Jewish groups deserve condemnation by mere association certainly undermines any claims the protectors may make about their lack of antisemitism.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #239 on: March 21, 2016, 07:56:01 AM »

The unsettling thing about this is that they were targeting a Jewish campus group rather than an explicitly Israeli one. The idea that Jewish groups deserve condemnation by mere association certainly undermines any claims the protectors may make about their lack of antisemitism.

This College Leftist and This Nazi Skinhead Bonded over Their Shared Antisemitism. What Happens Next Will Warm Your Heart.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #240 on: March 21, 2016, 08:10:01 AM »

the left knows many of it's own are racists, they just hate to talk about it.  Many of them will deny it out loud (and a couple of the more ignorant ones will actually mean it).
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #241 on: March 21, 2016, 08:13:08 AM »

I am glad they are being intellectually honest.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #242 on: March 23, 2016, 09:20:13 AM »

Chalk drawings reading "Trump 2016" are intimidating
Quote from: Restricted
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #243 on: March 23, 2016, 11:23:04 AM »

"After meeting with our students, I cannot dismiss their expression of feelings and concern as motivated only by political preference or over-sensitivity. Instead, the students with whom I spoke heard a message, not about political process or candidate choice, but instead about values regarding diversity and respect that clash with Emory’s own.

On the heels of work begun by students last fall and advanced last month through the Racial Justice Retreat and subsequent working groups, Emory is taking a number of significant steps: ...

• A formal process to institutionalize identification, review, and addressing of social justice opportunities and issues"

These infants are not prepared for the real world if contested elections hurt their feelings.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #244 on: March 23, 2016, 06:10:31 PM »

This College Leftist and This Nazi Skinhead Bonded over Their Shared Antisemitism. What Happens Next Will Warm Your Heart.

It's sound much more click bait if that last sentence read "You'll never believe what happened next!"
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #245 on: March 23, 2016, 10:47:23 PM »

It saddens me that this garbage happens even in my home state.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #246 on: March 24, 2016, 06:33:56 PM »

Let's simplify this.

A campus is a home. That's what it is, ultimately for students who live there. Every home up and down the country has 'house rules'. Sometimes you're asked to not to swear, sometimes you're asked not to bring up certain issues. Do people bang on private homes and demand that 1st Amendment rights be protected? No. Say anything homophobic in my home and your out the front door in my home. Does that make us 'special snowflakes?' No.

Sometimes students just don't want sh-t brought through their front door, because they are concerned about people they live with. That's all it is. They will leave college and that will be the end of that. But while they are in college, they might be a little sensitive about the people they are sharing their communal space with. That's all it is. And it's not new.
So if this is true, why are the ones protesting the most against all sorts of stuff also the ones who bring the most disgusting anti-Semitic garbage to campus (i.e. to Jewish students' "home")? That has nothing to do with people being concerned about the people they live with, quite the contrary.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #247 on: March 24, 2016, 07:09:14 PM »

NUS tells LGBT societies to abolish gay men’s reps because ‘they don’t face oppression’
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #248 on: March 24, 2016, 07:18:46 PM »
« Edited: March 24, 2016, 09:11:13 PM by Snowguy716 »

What complete and utter bullsh**t.  I guess it'll just be the LBT movement, then.  Good thing the NUS is an irrelevant joke.

It seems most people are blaming this new development on the trans community.  I don't know if it's true... but if it is, it's time to separate the movements and let the transsexuals go on their own.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #249 on: March 28, 2016, 09:52:03 PM »

Interesting video.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies