Fitz comeback...and a primary?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:21:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Fitz comeback...and a primary?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fitz comeback...and a primary?  (Read 1895 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 15, 2007, 09:57:03 AM »

He says he won't make a decision until the end of the year but I know for a fact that he's in. Some professor and former Reagan administration Defense official is saying he might run but he'd get utterly destroyed in the primary. Fitz still has the name, the money and the necessary backers both locally and nationally.

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/quakertown/all-b1_2fitzfeb14,0,1766354.story?coll=all-newslocalquakertown-hed
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 12:29:10 PM »

When's the last time an incumbent lost (without a scandal or anything) in a presidential year in a district won by his party's nominee?
InsideTheBeltway
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 12:34:54 PM »

Phil Crane in 04 comes to mind
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 12:37:53 PM »

When's the last time an incumbent lost (without a scandal or anything) in a presidential year in a district won by his party's nominee?

Thing is for Murphy...if its Giuliani at the top of the GOP ticket (maybe even McCain) the 8th would likely be carried by a Republican. Of course McCain's chances are far worse than Giuliani's at carring the 8th.

Tall hill for fitz to climb, but we'll see.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 12:46:35 PM »

Phil Crane was a lazy, senile Congressman.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 12:49:19 PM »

Thing is for Murphy...if its Giuliani at the top of the GOP ticket (maybe even McCain) the 8th would likely be carried by a Republican. Of course McCain's chances are far worse than Giuliani's at carring the 8th.

This district likes its incumbents.  There is a reason why Peter Kostmayer kept getting elected here until a bad Democratic year in the House(1992), and this was when this district leaned Republican, Bush 41 carried it by 61%-39%, but Bush 43 lost it.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 01:36:24 PM »

True, but that was mostly because had been around too long and had become detached from the district, the exact opposite of Murphy.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 05:45:45 PM »

Crane's incompetence was bad enough to count as a scandal.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 06:24:50 PM »

Phil Crane has been mentioned.

I should also throw out the name of Sam Gejdenson in CT-02 in 2000 as another recent incumbent who lost in a district won by his party's nominee.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 06:31:15 PM »

I should also throw out the name of Sam Gejdenson in CT-02 in 2000 as another recent incumbent who lost in a district won by his party's nominee.

That's almost like another Phil Crane situation.  Gejdenson had been around since 1980 and had simply lost touch with the district.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 06:38:40 PM »

Mike Ward in 1996?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 06:47:23 PM »

That's almost like another Phil Crane situation.  Gejdenson had been around since 1980 and had simply lost touch with the district.

You're probably right on the out-of-touch thing, especially with the submarine thingy in that area.

However, there was really no excuse for him to be out of touch and distant since he had a number of close races during his House tenureship, the one that I remember well is 1994 which he won by like 20 votes.

Crane hadn't really had any close races since he took the seat.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 09:47:04 PM »

Ward was a one term Congressman that spent no time with his constituants and assumed that he would be reelected easily just because his district's polical composition.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 10:03:45 PM »

This district likes its incumbents.  There is a reason why Peter Kostmayer kept getting elected here until a bad Democratic year in the House(1992), and this was when this district leaned Republican, Bush 41 carried it by 61%-39%, but Bush 43 lost it.

Kostmayer lost in the 80s, also.

Another thing about that ever so popular Kostmayer - I found out he lost a State Senate race in either 2000 or 2002. What a popular guy!
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 10:06:33 PM »

Another thing about that ever so popular Kostmayer - I found out he lost a State Senate race in either 2000 or 2002. What a popular guy!

2002-to Tomlinson.

Tomlinson pushed the carpetbagger issue, and rightly so, Peter came back from his decade long stay in the northwest and DC to challenge the seat.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2007, 10:50:46 PM »

Who's the second guy in your signature?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2007, 10:55:51 PM »

My State Representative - The Speaker of the State House - Denny O'Brien
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2007, 11:03:04 PM »

My State Representative - The Speaker of the State House - Denny O'Brien

Tell him thanks for siding with the Democrats and giving us the majority.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2007, 11:27:08 PM »

The Dems were given the Majority when they won 102 out of the 203 seats but thanks for giving me yet another victory in an argument. If anything, I should send my thanks to your party for giving him the job and allowing another popular Republican to rise.

By the way, I noticed how nasty you get when you lose the PA 6 arguments with me. I really feel bad for you. You lose so miserably that you turn so far off the topic and begin saying insanely ridiculous things. Like the asking me about O'Brien - what was that about? Feeling a little cranky, hack? Why ask who he was when you have some half assed, false wise crack about him lined up?

You have a lot of growing up to do, loser.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2007, 10:53:05 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2007, 10:56:23 PM by ICE HOCKEY »

So do you and Mr. NixonNow.  Say what's your position on obsessing over people off Forum and misusing information given to you by a campaign to do some canvassing?  Inquiring minds and political authorities would like to know.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2007, 11:19:42 AM »

So do you and Mr. NixonNow.  Say what's your position on obsessing over people off Forum and misusing information given to you by a campaign to do some canvassing?  Inquiring minds and political authorities would like to know.

What the hell are you talking about? Your paranoia is out of control, my friend. Also, whatever happens off this forum shouldn't be automatically be tagged to me.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies