Bill Kristol announces someone will run 3rd party UPDATE: It's David French (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 08:52:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Bill Kristol announces someone will run 3rd party UPDATE: It's David French (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bill Kristol announces someone will run 3rd party UPDATE: It's David French  (Read 9209 times)
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« on: May 30, 2016, 07:42:34 AM »

NO!

This stupid GOP Temper Tantrum Ticket--because for the first time in years, the establishment isn't getting their way--does NOTHING!

At least, nothing good. They have no chance to win, but will almost certainly ruin the growth of my political movement. The Libertarian Party has been going on for over 40 years--it's a coherent movement based around a sensible ideology that has consistently gotten the short end of the stick, and forces are converging (an LP candidate with immense qualifications vs. two much-loathed major party candidates) to grow the movement. This "#NeverTrump ticket" bullsh#t is nothing but reactionism--there is no ideology behind it, no plan behind it, nothing!

And it's the same neocon hacks that have held all the power! You guys got to nominate all these establishment Republicans in recent times. Lots of them lost (Dole, McCain, Romney), and the one that won is generally considered one of our worst Presidents ever. You guys suck at running political parties so much that you literally had the party's supporters rise up against you and nominate Donald Freaking Trump, with Ted Freaking Cruz in second! The Bill Kristol crowd are why the Republican party is so fudged up right now--no one stole it from you, you lost it!

And, again, because this will hurt the Libertarian Party, I strongly loathe this idea, and if they go through with this petulant temper tantrum because they aren't getting their way, Bill Kristol can go f*** an electric socket.

I really don't understand why Bill Kristol et al don't just get behind Johnson/Weld. I mean...they were good enough as Governors for the party, weren't they? Their views really haven't changed all that much. Ballot access in 49 states (and they may have it in OK this year, too).

I could see Kristol thinking something like "but the standard-bearer needs to be chosen by the elite establishment types like us for it to mean anything", but most of the types that'd be likely to vote for an independent conservative are in lock-step with Libertarian economy policy broadly speaking (worried about their personal incomes and levels of taxation, as opposed to those favoring subsidies for their industries and so forth, the latter of which makes up an insignificant sum of voters). They don't care about social issues one way or another for the most part.

Is Kristol still of the persuasion that they're going to be able to throw it to the House? Furthermore, does he believe that the GOP House would screw Trump in such a way when they haven't been willing to man up and attack him throughout this whole ordeal (perpetually until it was too late) or stay the course and try to pull the rug out from under him at the convention?

I wholeheartedly agree with, like, every word of that.

And to answer your question: this is the equivelent of what a spoiled child does when their sibling gets to pick what to watch on TV, after they got to pick what to watch literally every time before that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies