What's the last movie you've seen?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 05:06:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 153 154 155 [156] 157 158 159 160 161 ... 212
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen?  (Read 633448 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3875 on: November 16, 2010, 11:31:46 PM »

Milk.  I liked it, but interestingly my ex-girlfriend, who I watched it with, came out with some anti-gay statements.  Like most Thais, she has many gay friends, and doesn't see homosexuality as a negative in and of itself, but rather she pointed out that 'gays are bitchy backstabbers, more than straight men or women'.  Pretty funny.

You had a Thai girlfriend? Was she just a working girl you were particularly fond of or was this some sort of platonic thing?

And are Thais thus less homophobic than Americans? Wouldn't surprise me but then again what are the odds of gay marriage being legal in Thailand anytime soon.
The Artist Formerly Known As and Now Again Known As Ogis
agooji

« Reply #3876 on: November 17, 2010, 01:55:37 AM »

Cyrano de Bergerac, in English. It wasn't particularly interesting; I just saw it for a project.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3877 on: November 18, 2010, 01:54:29 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2010, 01:56:03 PM by Old Europe »

Theater: Carlos. French three-hour film (originally a five-hour miniseries) on Carlos the Jackal.

Non-theater: Charlie Wilson's War... I think. It has been a while.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3878 on: November 18, 2010, 02:29:08 PM »

Milk.  I liked it, but interestingly my ex-girlfriend, who I watched it with, came out with some anti-gay statements.  Like most Thais, she has many gay friends, and doesn't see homosexuality as a negative in and of itself, but rather she pointed out that 'gays are bitchy backstabbers, more than straight men or women'.  Pretty funny.

You had a Thai girlfriend? Was she just a working girl you were particularly fond of or was this some sort of platonic thing?

And are Thais thus less homophobic than Americans? Wouldn't surprise me but then again what are the odds of gay marriage being legal in Thailand anytime soon.

She's my ex.  I would only date upper-middle class educated respectable girls.  I don't 'date' working girls.  And yes, Thailand is extremely accepting of homosexuality, transgender, etc.  I'll wager more than any other country.

I just watched two really good movies yesterday - one is a favorite of yours: Kick-Ass.  I had resisted renting it for ages, but now I see it is very good.  Secondly, Rachel's Getting Married - wow, so good.  The main character reminded me almost precisely of a good friend of mine back home.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3879 on: November 19, 2010, 12:39:35 AM »

She's my ex.  I would only date upper-middle class educated respectable girls.  I don't 'date' working girls.

So did she know about the working girls and just not care? Not a bad arrangement.

I just watched two really good movies yesterday - one is a favorite of yours: Kick-Ass.  I had resisted renting it for ages, but now I see it is very good.

Yes. Ruled.

Secondly, Rachel's Getting Married - wow, so good.  The main character reminded me almost precisely of a good friend of mine back home.

I didn't enjoy that movie because I was expecting it to be a quirky indie comedy. That's basically what the trailer sold it as.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #3880 on: November 19, 2010, 04:55:11 AM »

Deathly Hallows.

It was amazing.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #3881 on: November 20, 2010, 12:12:23 AM »

Seriously?  I need to watch this...Sad
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #3882 on: November 20, 2010, 12:29:43 AM »

See username.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3883 on: November 20, 2010, 12:45:11 AM »

Lost In Translation

I waited an hour for the plot to begin before giving up.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #3884 on: November 21, 2010, 12:57:15 AM »

So far, best movie from the series by a mile....and it's only the first part. Stuck by the book the most, minus a few small instances that were taken out but were obviously not too important to the story.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3885 on: November 21, 2010, 01:31:51 AM »

That last Harry Potter was pointless and boring.  I tried, I really did...and it was lame as shit.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3886 on: November 21, 2010, 01:35:48 AM »

Just finished up a series of crime movies tonight, in this order.

The Untouchables
Dillinger
Scarface
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #3887 on: November 21, 2010, 07:07:36 AM »

Bad Education.

A mesmerizing movie.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #3888 on: November 21, 2010, 12:56:38 PM »

Harry Potter 7 yesterday.

I have to agree that it is the best of the movies and also the most depressing. I haven't read the book 7 in a while, but I think they mostly went along it.

I remember that most of the times the audience in my cinema was so silent that you could hear a needle drop down to the floor and I also heard a few kids cry at one point ... Tongue

The illustration of the fairly tale of the "3 brothers" was also very well done ... Smiley

I´m already looking forward to the last one next year.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3889 on: November 21, 2010, 04:17:33 PM »

Sunshine (2007) and Youth in Revolt

I found both to be extremely weird.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3890 on: November 21, 2010, 06:55:14 PM »

I ate a spacecake two hours before the movie started and went to see Harry Potter with friends last night. Now, the drugs may have affected my ability to watch the movie, but it struck me as at once the most lazy, cliched, boring and uninspired garbage mash-up of tropes and deus ex machinas pushing along totally flat characters with no emotional weight or connection from one set piece from the book to the next, soullessly going down a check list of important scenes that the fans want to see in movie form AND at the same time one of the most entertaining films I have ever seen.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3891 on: November 21, 2010, 07:03:25 PM »

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part 1) - holy fucking shit.  That movie was amazing.  As a longtime fan of the series, books and movies, this one had everything.  The actors were great, I thought it had good pacing, everything was excellent.  I can't wait to see it in IMAX.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3892 on: November 22, 2010, 04:05:14 AM »

Repo Men.

This was a rather odd movie, the plot basically made no sense, there was stuff in there that I'm amazed made it to a relatively mainstream movie (for example there is a bit where a couple basically cuts themselves open and exposes their internal organs-except that it's shot like it's a romantic sex scene. Complete with an appropriate soundtrack), and the violence was extreme (I watched the unrated version so I don't know what was in the theatrical cut but I'd be surprised if the version I saw would be able to get an R rating.) The ending by the way is horrible and basically is the type of ending that would ruin the rest of the film if the plot was any good to begin with. So it's kind of worth watching for the wrong reasons.

Oh by the way the DVD menu acts like you can watch bonus features but try to play them and it gives a message that they aren't available on the rental version. Now I know it's not uncommon for rental DVDs to have the bonus features stripped but pretending like they are there and doing a fakeout is rather lame.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3893 on: November 22, 2010, 01:10:11 PM »

MacGruber.  Sucked.  Big time.  I'm amazed to say this, but the only thing that didn't suck (at least as hard as the rest of the film) was Val Kilmer as c**nths.  There's actually a few scenes that are funny and awesome, but few and very far between.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3894 on: November 22, 2010, 02:33:47 PM »

Harry Potter 7 was awesome. Probably my favorite in the series (although my favorite book is probably Prisoner of Azkaban). But Harry and his friends are really way too nice to the Death Eaters. If I were in their place, I would have used far more ruthless tactics. You have two death eaters knocked out in some restaurant? Don't wipe their memories. Put 'em under the imperius curse, send them to the Ministry of Magic, assassinate Voldemort's puppet-minister, get the locket from Umbridge, maybe take her out too, etc. And why let the Snatchers live? They're basically the equivalent of the SS. Hermione's behind that charm-thingy, they can't see her, she can see them. Simply avada kedavra all of them and be done with it. Challenge Voldemort's monopoly on violence over Britain. Fight terror with terror.

Morever, the Death Eaters are dumb. You have Harry Potter locked up in a cell. He's been a nuisance for too long. Wipe his memory so he has no clue who he is or what he is doing, call Voldemort, and get this show on the road. Or allow him to escape for what, the third time in the series?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3895 on: November 22, 2010, 03:06:38 PM »
« Edited: November 22, 2010, 03:10:37 PM by Lief »

Most of the film's logic breaks down just like that if you give it more than a few seconds of thought. But their refusal to ever kill the enemy is really ridiculous. You're in a freaking magical war, there's apparently a Muggle holocaust or something happening, people keep trying to murder you and have already murdered plenty of your friends and family. Just avadava kadavra these idiot henchmen. Jesus Christ!

Imagine if Aragorn had gone all the way to Mount Doom just knocking orcs out and leaving them to wake up in a few hours. It's just nonsense.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #3896 on: November 22, 2010, 03:08:10 PM »

And why didn't they try using the killing curse on the Horcrux?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3897 on: November 22, 2010, 03:13:11 PM »

If I were a muggle in this world, after all of this ended I would vote for whatever right-wing BNP-esque party cropped up to kick these magical freaks out of the country. They're just all around awful and ruin everything. They're also so damn lazy; like the scene where they're putting up the tent with their magic. Can't kneel down on the ground for a bit or pull a bit of rope for a couple of seconds? It really makes no sense that any of the characters are as athletic in this film as they are (unless wizards are naturally some sort of übermensch that are genetically gifted with great strength), since in the real world their muscles would have atrophied from lack of basic use by this point.

And let's not forget that Harry is proven to be an absolutely worthless hero. Even Ron, who is supposed to be the dopey little working class sidekick with a heart of gold but no actual ability, would be a better hero than Harry. Like the scene with the sword in the water. Seriously going to jump into a freezing lake to pull a sword out? Don't you have some sort of spell to warm up the water? Or levitate the sword towards you? Or something? No, let's just jump naked into a frozen pond without any real strategy or forethought regarding how you'll get out again and not die of hypothermia.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3898 on: November 22, 2010, 04:13:56 PM »

Yeah but it has a dragon in it. Purple heart. 5 stars.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3899 on: November 22, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »

I plan on waiting till the series is complete to see all the Harry Potter movies. Once Death Hallows Part 2 hits theaters I'll have to Netflix the first seven in order before seeing it. Until then I'm not seeing any of them.
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 153 154 155 [156] 157 158 159 160 161 ... 212  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies