What's the last movie you've seen?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 08:30:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 142 143 144 [145] 146 147 148 149 150 ... 212
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen?  (Read 633467 times)
patrick1
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3600 on: July 08, 2010, 12:59:09 AM »

^Yeah, I've been watching Netflix over the computer and through PS3. The selection is getting to be a little sparse though.  The Cocaine Cowboys documentary was good- about 70's to mid 80's narco trafficking in Miami.  I thought it was a good companion piece after watching The Two Escobars doc they did on ESPN. 
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3601 on: July 08, 2010, 01:03:04 AM »

I've been meaning to watch The Baader Meinhof Complex on the Watch Instantly for awhile but have not gotten around to it. Probably due to all episodes of Buffy and Angel and the Mike Judge Collections of Beavis and Butthead also being up.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3602 on: July 08, 2010, 01:12:33 AM »

Baader Meinhof is one of my recommendations but I haven't watched it. 

I watched the original Mad Max the other day.  What a crap movie. At least Thunderdome was funny in a parody way. 

Finally saw Zombieland and liked it a lot.  Shawn of the Dead was better though.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #3603 on: July 08, 2010, 01:17:50 AM »

Baader Meinhof is one of my recommendations but I haven't watched it. 

I watched the original Mad Max the other day.  What a crap movie. At least Thunderdome was funny in a parody way. 

Finally saw Zombieland and liked it a lot.  Shawn of the Dead was better though.

I liked Zombieland more, it didn't seem to be as campy.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #3604 on: July 08, 2010, 01:24:57 AM »

Roots, if you consider it a movie. I watched it all last Sunday. It started out very cheesy, but it got much better with the second episode. It had this great ability to introduce new characters and get you emotionally involved with them immediately. I didn't think the final installment was that great either, but everything between the first and the last was gold. Very moving, and Lois Gossett Jr. as the fiddler was particularly funny so it lightened the mood. The one thing that was sort of bogus was that they presented all white men as having an insatiable case of jungle fever.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #3605 on: July 08, 2010, 01:30:49 AM »

Roots, if you consider it a movie. I watched it all last Sunday. It started out very cheesy, but it got much better with the second episode. It had this great ability to introduce new characters and get you emotionally involved with them immediately. I didn't think the final installment was that great either, but everything between the first and the last was gold. Very moving, and Lois Gossett Jr. as the fiddler was particularly funny so it lightened the mood. The one thing that was sort of bogus was that they presented all white men as having an insatiable case of jungle fever.

Isn't it funny that the guy who wrote that story made it all up.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #3606 on: July 08, 2010, 01:56:31 AM »

Well it's a novel, the only part he claimed was actual history was that he descended from this guy, which doesn't affect the story in any way. So I don't think it's particularly funny that he "made it all up", thats what novelists do when writing novels
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3607 on: July 08, 2010, 02:05:25 AM »

Well it's a novel, the only part he claimed was actual history was that he descended from this guy, which doesn't affect the story in any way. So I don't think it's particularly funny that he "made it all up", thats what novelists do when writing novels

Yeah, there was also a lot of miscegenation and/or rape going on  then so the jungle fever thing has firm footing. I agree though that many white characters in these films are caricatures. Too many writers are ham fisted and leave out things that don't fit their narrative-  Braveheart and the Patriot spring to mind.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3608 on: July 08, 2010, 02:40:01 AM »

His & Hers

Really charming.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #3609 on: July 09, 2010, 12:04:28 AM »

Cyrus.  Loved it.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #3610 on: July 09, 2010, 12:37:13 AM »

Knight and Day.  I liked it.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3611 on: July 09, 2010, 01:59:29 PM »

You, Me, and Everyone We Know.  Enjoyed it a lot.  It is funny how on late night Thai cable's few English movie channels, there will be nothing but the most horrid direct-to-DVD or direct-to-foreign-market dreck for weeks, and then a high-quality gem like this.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3612 on: July 09, 2010, 04:42:06 PM »

Faust (1926)

Visually spectacular and has a brilliant opening 40 minutes (which would have been much more brilliant had I saw this on a big screen and not on low-quality google video) before descending into dramatically uninteresting melodrama which draaagggggggggggsss in parts and drops any of its prior interesting themes though it picks up somewhat again near the end. Basically watch for the visuals and camerawork and even the 80-year-old obviously-fake but still interesting special effects. Ignore the plot (well after minute 50 or so).

I also wonder how much visual cliches were actually invented by this film.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3613 on: July 10, 2010, 12:12:14 AM »

The Happening

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I must say after finally viewing this film for myself, I completely disagree with the critics here.

I no way did The Happening begin with promise.  It was dead on arrival.  I have no idea how it even got greenlighted.  Oh wait, yes I do.  Look at this completely false synopsis that M. Night submitted for it:

Hilarious.  Hilarious.  Although I must say Deschanel is super hot looking in this movie.  She's got hella sexy eyes.  But the trees have more personality than her character.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #3614 on: July 10, 2010, 06:55:49 AM »

Her sister is better looking and it was a pretty good movie.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3615 on: July 10, 2010, 03:26:54 PM »

Nah.  Emily is a classy looking lady, but Zooey is definitely hotter.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3616 on: July 11, 2010, 12:00:56 AM »

Robin Hood.

Kind of lagged in the middle. Beginning and end had some awesome battle sequences, but I didn't care about most of the stuff in the middle. They could've probably cut 40 minutes from it without being all that negative. Not the worst movie ever but you'd expect them to be able to do a lot better with a $200 million budget.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #3617 on: July 11, 2010, 02:54:42 AM »

I watched Yojimbo and District B13 tonight both were pretty good movies in their own ways. Im also convinced that i need to get netflix now...
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3618 on: July 11, 2010, 03:10:43 AM »

King of California

Pretty good little indie flick. And Evan Rachel Wood has the best eyes.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #3619 on: July 11, 2010, 07:21:18 AM »

King Corn
Grass
Taxi Driver - started to watch, fell asleep, great movie but it was late at night.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3620 on: July 11, 2010, 07:28:09 AM »

Fatal Grin Yes, I know most of you have no clue what the hell it is...
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #3621 on: July 11, 2010, 12:51:17 PM »

So? Would have Mickael Youn succeeded in doing something quite good? It had good good reviews iirc.

I wouldn't have expected this one would have had an international life. Didn't see it, but the trailers were like over action movie à l'américaine, and the plot and the dramaturgy of it seem over simplistic.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #3622 on: July 11, 2010, 03:53:32 PM »

I wouldn't have expected this one would have had an international life. Didn't see it, but the trailers were like over action movie à l'américaine, and the plot and the dramaturgy of it seem over simplistic. [/quote]
I doubt it does have much of an international life, Im pretty sure it was just one of the many foreign films on netflix website that you can download without having to search for it or something like that.
As for being americanish maybe a bit, if were it were though, it would have had lots of explosions Tongue
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3623 on: July 12, 2010, 06:44:09 PM »

Memento

It's more artistically commendable than straightforwardly enjoyable. You also probably have to watch it a second time to understand the full scope of the story for obvious reasons. Acting, editing, etc. were all top-notch.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3624 on: July 18, 2010, 11:13:14 AM »

Pigeon: Impossible
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 142 143 144 [145] 146 147 148 149 150 ... 212  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies