What's the last movie you've seen?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 04:12:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 115 116 117 [118] 119 120 121 122 123 ... 212
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen?  (Read 633508 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2925 on: August 24, 2009, 03:15:03 PM »

Max Payne.

It was pretty awful, even the equivalent R-rated unrated director's cut which is what I watched. Also had virtually nothing to do with the game, the plot was butchered (Jack Lupino is supposed to be an insane mob boss, not an army sergeant!) and the girl who played Mona was simply the worst "action girl" I've ever seen in a movie. She didn't come across as a femme fatale, just a hot girl awkwardly using a gun.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2926 on: August 24, 2009, 03:18:38 PM »

Max Payne.

It was pretty awful, even the equivalent R-rated unrated director's cut which is what I watched. Also had virtually nothing to do with the game, the plot was butchered (Jack Lupino is supposed to be an insane mob boss, not an army sergeant!) and the girl who played Mona was simply the worst "action girl" I've ever seen in a movie. She didn't come across as a femme fatale, just a hot girl awkwardly using a gun.

You mean Mila Kunis?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2927 on: August 24, 2009, 03:20:46 PM »

Yes. Not to mention her sister was played a Bond girl, why not just swap roles?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2928 on: August 24, 2009, 07:55:33 PM »

Pour elle. Quite a good suspenseful movie.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2929 on: August 26, 2009, 05:41:54 PM »

I think its called The CSA - a Movie.  About the Confederate STates of America.  Good film, whatched it entirely on Youtube.  It is fascinating how similar the present is to the future confederacy.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2930 on: August 26, 2009, 05:46:18 PM »

I think its called The CSA - a Movie.  About the Confederate STates of America.  Good film, whatched it entirely on Youtube.  It is fascinating how similar the present is to the future confederacy.

That movie is hysterical.  I was happier than a pig in sh**t when i found it on sale at a B&N.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2931 on: August 27, 2009, 02:26:21 PM »

That sounds interesting. I may check it out later.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #2932 on: August 27, 2009, 03:16:16 PM »

Bandslam
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2933 on: August 27, 2009, 08:32:11 PM »

I'm focusing on autumn
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2934 on: August 27, 2009, 09:17:37 PM »

Pinocchio.  Not the one I normally watch from my DVD collection, from 2002, but the real one.  From 1940.  With the voices of Mel Blanc, Don Brodi, and Frankie Darro.  I've probably seen it before, but had become desensitized (or is it "sensitized") over the past couple of decades with political correctness.  I was actually shocked to see all the smoking and exaggerated Italian accents.  I'm 42, mind you, and can remember seeing Saturday morning cartoons with black maids with huge lips and huge butts and exaggerated afroamerican accents, and I can remember not having "car seats" as a child.  I'd never seen a bicycle helmet till I was an adult, and I distinctly remember buying cigarettes as soon as I was old enough to reach the counter.  (I think they started having a minimum age for cigarette purchase sometime after I'd reached the age of 20, so that never affected me.)  But obviously times have changed.  And to see a two-hour Disney children's feature featuring children smoking and calling each other "Jackass" and such was a little jarring.  I always claim to be the least politically correct person I know, yet even I have been sensitized I suppose.  Sad, but true.

The film is a moral story, really.  It's loosely based on a book by Carlo Collodi from the 19th century.  And it chronicles the story of a puppet who wants to be a real boy.  He is aided by his conscience (Jiminy Cricket in the Disney version), a Blue Fairy, and, at times, his Papa, Gepetto, who carves wooden dolls.  There are many versions, and book versions as well.  OUr collection ranges from a four-page board book to a several-hundred page anthem, replete with a vignette of Collodi's life and times.  I love reading them with a feigned Dago accent.  ("oh, Pinochio, my boy.  Whatsa happen to you?")  I think it's a timeless story, and an indictment, ahead of its time, of the latchkey generation and its parentage. 

A great movie it is.  Now that I'm sufficiently desensitized to the gambling, smoking, and cursing that was normal in children's movies from 1940 Walt Disney, I'd like to watch it again.  Unfortunately, it's not playing again till next week.  Also, Dick Morris is about to be on Greta van Susteren on Fox New Channel, and I never miss him.  So I'll have to catch it next time it makes its way to cable.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2935 on: August 27, 2009, 09:26:20 PM »

That sounds interesting. I may check it out later.

not may...must.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2936 on: August 28, 2009, 02:58:58 PM »

Alright...in the last week or so...

Twins, 1988 comedy film with Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny Devito as twins. Classic comedy.

Kindergarten Cop, 1990 comedy film with Arnold Schwarzenegger as an L.A.P.D. cop who goes undercover as a kindergarten teacher. Funny.

Junior, 1994 comedy film with Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny Devito as scientists who put forth the world's first human male pregnancy. Good flick.

The Negotiator, 1998 film with Samuel L. Jackson and Kevin Spacey as a pair of hostage negotiators who battle it out against each other to find the truth about a police cover-up. Very good.

Role Models, 2008 comedy with Seann William Scott and Paul Rudd who have to join a social workers program to avoid jail time. Expected it to be funnier than it was.

Shoot to Kill, 1988 action/suspense film with Sidney Poitier as an FBI agent tracking down a killer in the woods of the Pacific Northwest with outdoors tracker Tom Berenger, whose girlfriend Kirstie Alley has been kidnapped by the killer. Very good.

Traces of Red, 1992 erotic suspense thriller with James Belushi as a cop hunting down a killer who is murdering hookers in Palm Beach, Florida. Excellent.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #2937 on: August 29, 2009, 12:09:54 AM »

David Cronenberg's "Crash". If you like weird, fucked up sex, and technology, this is your movie.

I loved that movie.  Holly Hunter is the consumate plain jane with a hottie inside, waiting to get out.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #2938 on: August 29, 2009, 09:48:58 AM »

Recently, I've seen the Informers and Bronson. And a Swedish film called Man Tänker Sitt. None of them were that good.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2939 on: August 29, 2009, 12:18:55 PM »

The Mexican
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2940 on: August 30, 2009, 09:21:17 PM »

Inglorious Bastards - The best film of 2009, bar none.  Brad Pitt deserves an Oscar; everything about it was amazing.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2941 on: August 31, 2009, 02:03:41 AM »

Meet Bill.

Just wasn't a very good movie. I couldn't find myself ever caring about the characters or plot and it failed to even be that funny. For a rather indie movie it's rather odd they had to rely on gags like a kid and adult throwing firecrackers at each other or a generic "Stoned people acting stupid" sequence that you would expect in mainstream movies.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2942 on: September 01, 2009, 01:04:27 AM »
« Edited: September 01, 2009, 01:06:44 AM by Boris »

Inglorious Basterds

spoilers below

yeah, best supporting actor nomination for Christoph Waltz. Mélanie Laurent was awesome too, although her death scene was kinda gay/too predictable. only part of the movie I didn't like.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2943 on: September 02, 2009, 04:56:18 PM »

I'm focusing on autumn
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2944 on: September 02, 2009, 05:35:48 PM »

Alright...in the last week or so...

Twins, 1988 comedy film with Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny Devito as twins. Classic comedy.

Kindergarten Cop, 1990 comedy film with Arnold Schwarzenegger as an L.A.P.D. cop who goes undercover as a kindergarten teacher. Funny.

Junior, 1994 comedy film with Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny Devito as scientists who put forth the world's first human male pregnancy. Good flick.

The Negotiator, 1998 film with Samuel L. Jackson and Kevin Spacey as a pair of hostage negotiators who battle it out against each other to find the truth about a police cover-up. Very good.

Role Models, 2008 comedy with Seann William Scott and Paul Rudd who have to join a social workers program to avoid jail time. Expected it to be funnier than it was.

Shoot to Kill, 1988 action/suspense film with Sidney Poitier as an FBI agent tracking down a killer in the woods of the Pacific Northwest with outdoors tracker Tom Berenger, whose girlfriend Kirstie Alley has been kidnapped by the killer. Very good.

Traces of Red, 1992 erotic suspense thriller with James Belushi as a cop hunting down a killer who is murdering hookers in Palm Beach, Florida. Excellent.

Do you watch anything actually worth watching?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2945 on: September 03, 2009, 02:42:20 PM »

Commando, 1985 action film with Arnold Schwarzenegger. Excellent action film classic of the 1980s.

Eraser, 1996 action film with Arnold Schwarzenegger, Vanessa Williams, James Caan and James Coburn. Pretty good.

Planet Terror, 2007 horror film with Rose McGowan, Bruce Willis, Josh Brolin, Marley Shelton, Michael Biehn. Excellent, part of Tarantino's Grindhouse film.

Bad Boys, 1995 action film with Martin Lawrence and Will Smith as two Miami narcotic detectives. One of my favorite films by one of my favorite directors, Michael Bay.

Scream, 1996 horror film with Neve Campbell, David Arquette and Courtney Cox. A really good movie.

Scream 2, 1997 sequel with Neve Campbell, David Arquette and Courtney Cox. Respectable sequel.

Downfall, 1993 con-artist film with Michael Biehn, Nicolas Cage, James Coburn and Charlie Sheen. REALLY good and some hot babe named Sarah Trigger shows her beautiful set of hooters.

So I Married an Axe Murderer, 1993 dark comedy with Mike Myers and Nancy Travis. It sucked, and the whole San Francisco "beat poetry" stuff got on my nerves.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2946 on: September 06, 2009, 10:50:14 PM »

Quentin Tarantino fest:

Hell Ride
Kill Bill Vol. 1
Kill Bill Vol. 2

The Maltese Falcon
The Postman Always Rings Twice (mentioned in Kill Bill 2)
Dial M for Murder
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2947 on: September 09, 2009, 12:01:10 AM »

Scream 3, 2000 sequel to the Scream franchise with Neve Campbell, David Arquette and Courtney Cox. Saw it in the theaters back in 2000. My least favorite of the sequels. Talks of a "Scream 4" would totally throw off the notion that this was a "trilogy".

Clifford, 1994 film with Martin Short and Charles Grodin. Horrible, unfunny, weird movie. Filmed in 1990 but not released until '94.

Con-Air, 1997 action film with Nicolas Cage, John Cusack, and John Malkovich. One of my favorite movies. In pure Jerry Bruckheimer and/or Michael Bay style: Good romantic plot, good hit song (from Trisha Yearwood), good laughs, and great action. Everything that makes films from these guys like Bad Boys I and II, Armageddon, National Treasure, and The Rock some of my all-time favorite films.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #2948 on: September 09, 2009, 12:35:15 PM »

State of Grace and At Close Range.

Naso would be proud...I was in an 80's frame of mind.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2949 on: September 09, 2009, 12:39:49 PM »

Little Children.  I liked it.
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 115 116 117 [118] 119 120 121 122 123 ... 212  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies