Favorite Quotes (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 06:30:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Favorite Quotes (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Favorite Quotes  (Read 6705 times)
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« on: December 17, 2004, 12:03:17 PM »

One of my favorite quotes was from a very quiet man. There's no political or deep meaning to this quote but I've always found this man who had little to say so interesting.

"You lose." - Calvin Coolidge

This is from Jon Stewart's "America: The Book":

"Silent Cal"

Coolidge still ranks as the quietest president of all time.  Famously, a woman once approached him, saying, "I bet my friend I could get you to say more than two words," to which Coolidge wittily replied, "F*** you."

That book is great, my aunt and uncle sent me it for my birthday, been reading it a bit, it is hilarious.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 12:21:09 PM »

"If you were my husband, I'd put poison in your tea!"
"If you were my wife, I'd drink it"-Churchill.

Thats all I can think of atm.

Here's one from Churchill I especially like:

Woman: "Winston Churchill, you are drunk."
Churchill: "Drunk I may be, madam, but you are ugly, and in the morning, I will be sober."

Churchill had frequent exchanges with the same woman, though I forget who she was.  Once they came to a doorway at the same time and she stepped aside and said, "Age before beauty."  He stepped through the door and said, "Pearls before swine."

Bessie Braddock, Labour MP.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 04:39:13 PM »

"Yossarian had done his best to warn him the night before. "You haven't got a chance, kid" he had told him glumly. "They hate Jews."

"But I'm not Jewish", answered Clevinger.

"It will make no difference", Yossarian promised, and Yossarian was right. "They're after everybody."

I'm reareading this book currently... Cheesy

I love Catch-22.. it is worth re-reading several times.  Not a bad movie either.

I unfortunately never got a chance to finish it, was very busy around the time I was reading it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies