Helen Thomas to Retire (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 06:29:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Helen Thomas to Retire (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Helen Thomas to Retire  (Read 7978 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« on: June 07, 2010, 06:45:14 PM »

Look at that. One of the few members of the press who is not an unquestioning lackey of the Israel lobby pushed out by the fake outrage of the Israel lobby.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 06:51:25 PM »

Look at that. One of the few members of the press who is not an unquestioning lackey of the Israel lobby pushed out by the fake outrage of the Israel lobby.

Are you serious?  I don't think the comments should have forced her out, but what she said was reprehensible and disgusting.

The Israelis should get out of Palestinian territories, like she said. They are illegally occupying them and illegally settling in them.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 07:12:30 PM »

The Israelis should get out of Palestinian territories, like she said. They are illegally occupying them and illegally settling in them.

Palestinian territory is whatever Israel makes it.  And besides, telling them to go back to Poland or Germany is beyond the pale.  It's insulting.

Telling the Israelis to get out of Palestine is no more insulting than your first sentence.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 08:45:34 PM »

Palestinian territory is whatever Israel makes it.  And besides, telling them to go back to Poland or Germany is beyond the pale.  It's insulting.

Telling the Israelis to get out of Palestine is no more insulting than your first sentence.

So you agree both are offensive?  (Note the Huck quote I posted earlier in this thread)

The way she phrased her comments is clearly offensive and she apologized for them. But there's nothing wrong with the sentiment that the Israelis should leave the occupied territories.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 10:11:14 PM »

Okay, next time I say "All Mexican-Americans should go back to where they came from, South America" as a serious solution to a serious policy problem, please make sure to note that I actually meant "voluntarily," and that isn't racist.

Or, otherwise, like me, find such comments offensive, infeasible, and stupid.

Mexican-American immigrants in the United States are not comparable. A better comparison would be to English settlers in colonial America.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies