Gay/Lesbian vote historically (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 04:46:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Gay/Lesbian vote historically (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gay/Lesbian vote historically  (Read 10173 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« on: December 06, 2015, 02:14:45 PM »
« edited: December 06, 2015, 02:16:47 PM by TDAS04 »

Obama getting less of the gay vote in 2008 than Kerry was probably mostly due to Bush actively campaigning to constitutionally ban gay marriage, which McCain voted against.

However, I'm not quite sure what explains the gay vote going to Hillary in the primaries.  California exit polls showed Hillary winning them 63-29 over Obama.  I think the vote in West Hollywood was something like that.  And Hillary received 63% in Provincetown in the Massachusetts primary.

Can anyone explain the gay vote in the 2008 primaries?

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 07:02:25 PM »

I don't vote only on gay rights.  I almost always vote Democratic because I agree with them more than I agree the Republicans on most issues, but it certainly doesn't hurt that Democrats have been more gay-friendly.

Would I vote against an otherwise great candidate just because he or she is not great on gay rights?  Usually not, but it would depend.  If a progressive candidate was just iffy on gay rights, doesn't say anything overtly hateful, and wouldn't be able to prevent the progress of LGBT rights anyway, I'd probably still vote for him or her.  However, just as one wouldn't expect a black to vote for David Duke, I could not vote for Tony Perkins or James Dobson, even if they turned progressive on other issues.  I wouldn't vote for someone who was that bigoted against me because of my sexual orientation.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 03:11:32 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/13/bottom-for-hillary-clinton_n_7055816.html
http://thoughtcatalog.com/tom-bellino/2013/06/hillary-clintons-gay-fanbase-political-ally-or-diva-worship/

I admit, I was very torn when Obama beat Hillary in 2008. It was my first eligible election and I passed because she didn't make the ballot.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The gays love Hillary and I think she'll do well (not that Obama did bad).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2Y9abmNuRw

Perhaps I should have known since I'm both a gay and a huge Hillary fan. Tongue  (But I like Obama too.)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies