MT-SEN 2020: Time for Bullock? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 10:53:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MT-SEN 2020: Time for Bullock? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MT-SEN 2020: Time for Bullock?  (Read 9561 times)
Lognog
United States

« on: December 05, 2018, 12:52:18 AM »

I get that it might not happen (lean R imo), but that would be amazing to have 2 dem senators from MT in this era of polarization.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 04:47:11 PM »

Bullock would be a great candidate, and of course our best shot to win this race. He's a Scott or Hassan. I hope he hasn't gotten it in his head to run for President.

Unfortunately, it looks like he has.

I think he will probably run for President. But, assuming he doesn’t make it far, he could drop out of the Presidential race and then run for Senate. I think that will possibly (perhaps likely) happen. .

Dropping down to a Senate race from a failed Presidential run would doom his Senate candidacy before it began. Look what Presidential runs do to non-runner-up primary losers in their home states
Yeah, Rubio really got screwed over in 2016.

For every Rubio there’s three people who are damaged even more: Walker, Christie and Cruz

This isn't exactly a fair comparison. I'll give you Walker, because he did end up losing reelection. Perhaps Christie fits the bill too, but he couldn't run for reelection in 2017 anyways. But there are plenty of failed presidential candidates who go on to succeed in reelection, or at least stay politically relevant. From 2016 alone, Rand Paul turned around and successfully ran for reelection, just like Rubio did. Ted Cruz successfully ran for reelection in 2018 after a failed presidential run. Ben Carson became HUD Secretary, and Rick Perry became Energy Secretary, and both are still in the cabinet. Lindsey Graham is still in the Senate, and has become closer to the President. So, I'm not so sure a failed presidential run ruins your career.

As for Bullock, I think he has little to lose by running for president. He likely won't make it far, but in the event he does, he could become president. And if his run for president doesn't go so well, he could easily clear the Democratic field for Senate in Montana, and would be competitive in the General Election. I don't think a brief presidential run would doom his chances for a Senate bid, quite honestly.

Although Cruz did win reelection it was not by a comfortable margin at all and yes while many failed candidates are put into high federal offices by appointment, his point was that it hurts them in their home state so it is irrelevant where they are nominated
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies