" Off!"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 08:37:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  " Off!"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: " Off!"  (Read 1614 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 17, 2005, 05:41:40 PM »

Somalis Protest AU Invasion

Somali Islamic groups protest planned AU deployment
08 Jan 2005 11:41:05 GMT

Source: Reuters

MOGADISHU, Jan 8 (Reuters) - Chanting anti-Christian slogans, Islamic clerics led protests in the Somali capital Mogadishu against the proposed deployment of African Union (AU) soldiers to the lawless country.

Friday's protests came two days after the AU agreed in principle to provide troops to ensure the safe return of Somalia's fledgling government, currently based in the relative security of neighbouring Kenya.

"We are ready to defend our territory from those who are trying to colonise it again," said Sharif Sheik Ahmed, the chairman of an umbrella group of Islamic courts.

"We have prepared the forces defending this country from those Christians who are trying to come in the name of African forces. We say to the African Union this country is ours and we do not want their forces here," he told scores of supporters.

Somalia's new President Abdullahi Yusuf had appealed to the 53-member AU to provide 15,000 to 20,000 peacekeepers to disarm the militias that have controlled the country since the overthrow of military dictator Mohamed Siad Barre in 1991.

However, the AU's Peace and Security Council has not yet given any details on the force's size, rule of engagements or date of deployment, saying those decisions would be made later.

The United Nations has been hesitant to commit, given that its last peacekeeping mission ended in a humiliating and bloody withdrawal in 1995.

Yusuf pledged on Friday that his government would return very soon to rebuild Somalia, although he gave no specific timeframe.

Diplomats say Yusuf can only establish legitimacy by returning home quickly and reining in the warring militias.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 05:48:02 PM »

No one is trying to colonize Somalia - no one wants it.

The country is in anarchy now - street violence is daily and extreme.  I honestly don't see how you can support militia control of the country. 
Maastricht
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 05:53:35 PM »

This country has no raw materials, no farming, no technology, no everything. They just say that to scare uneducated people. I really wonder what will become this country ... (sigh)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 06:49:32 PM »

A+ for spin effort, Bono Kiki
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 01:40:46 PM »

The country is in anarchy now - street violence is daily and extreme.  I honestly don't see how you can support militia control of the country. 

Apparently, The World Bank Disagrees With You
Did you know Somalia's cell phne network is actually the best in Africa?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 05:25:53 PM »
« Edited: January 18, 2005, 05:30:36 PM by Lunar »

Also note the rest of the facts (twice as poor as the rest of Africa, etc).  The World Bank, which is agressively trying to get everyone to invest in other countries, might be a wee bit biased too.

So you prefer militia rule?

I opened up the latest news story about Somalia.
33 people killed in gang fights

These rebels aren't the saints you try and paint them as.  Child prostitution, slaughtering of civilians, eh.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 05:39:03 PM »
« Edited: January 18, 2005, 05:41:22 PM by Senator Bono »

Also note the rest of the facts (twice as poor as the rest of Africa, etc).  The World Bank, which is agressively trying to get everyone to invest in other countries, might be a wee bit biased too.

So you prefer militia rule?

I opened up the latest news story about Somalia.
33 people killed in gang fights

These rebels aren't the saints you try and paint them as.  Child prostitution, slaughtering of civilians, eh.

I never said they were. They are the businessmen greatest enemies, but they are being progresively sent out of power by them. As teh free market keeps on stabilizing it, the rebels will ave less and less power. Those fights used to be a lot more frequent you know? By the way, how do you know some of those 'gangs' wasn't actually a militia defendinf their own land, against an agressor?  Of course, businessmen also ebar some guilt, but as free market mediation devidces keep being developed, those things will(and have) became less frequent.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2005, 05:50:13 PM »

As smaller warlords get wiped out by increasingly ones, eventually you'll end up with some stability under a  warlord government, like the Taliban.  Yay, maximizing coercion is fun!

You're right.   I'm sure it was a noble battle defending their homeland.  The other stories I saw, like one with a  handgrenade exploding in a theatre,  killing and wounding a dozen, were probably similar situations with a gang defending their movie theatre from a foreign invasion and whatnot.
TexasPatriot2024
TexasPatriot
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2005, 06:19:07 PM »

Yeah, the bad clan was all watching friday night lights on their side of town. Somalia is a worthless country, so what if they have the best cell phone system in Africa, that isnt saying much. They have nothing to offer imperial nations. Somalia is ruled by ruthless warlords that are all buying for control with their "noble militias". Eventualy one clan will take over and then what? what good are they going todo? nothing, it will be years of blood shed then a short peace while a powerful clan rules until they realize that they have no structure and fall apart again.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies