Bernanke's worst nightmare: Ron Paul
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 08:54:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bernanke's worst nightmare: Ron Paul  (Read 1868 times)
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 15, 2010, 03:45:40 PM »

Ron Paul will have Congressional Federal Reserve oversight

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Grin
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 03:57:39 PM »

Letting politicians run monetary policy has worked out so great in the past that this is a great development.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 06:59:52 PM »

I saw that on wikipedia the other day, and I laughed my head off when I saw he was ranking member on that subcommittee. Oh, those hearings are going to be interesting.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 08:23:10 PM »

Letting politicians run monetary policy has worked out so great in the past that this is a great development.

Letting banksters run monetary policy has worked out so great, it's only given us a few minor busts like the Great Depression and the Crash of 08.
Frink
Lafayette53
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -6.17

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 08:36:58 PM »

This will certainly be an interesting circus to watch.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 11:36:24 PM »

Cheesy
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 05:29:24 AM »

Au contraire, libertas, it always helps a responsible moderate to have crazies attacking him, and thus by reaction increasing his support among sanes.

The classic example is the '72 Nixon landslide, but it applies to lesser public figures than president as well.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 01:52:09 PM »

Letting banksters run monetary policy has worked out so great, it's only given us a few minor busts like the Great Depression and the Crash of 08.

Lol. You don't really know what running monetary policy is, do you?

Why don't you read up on the concept of independent central banks? Wikipedia might be a good place to start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_bank
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 02:01:40 PM »

Au contraire, libertas, it always helps a responsible moderate to have crazies attacking him, and thus by reaction increasing his support among sanes.

The classic example is the '72 Nixon landslide, but it applies to lesser public figures than president as well.

Ah, so you're a Nixon '72 man too, not surprised.

But LOL @ Tricky Dick being a "responsible moderate".

Why don't you read up on the concept of independent central banks? Wikipedia might be a good place to start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_bank

Yes, I am well aware of how such criminal operations are run. From your comments I have to conclude that it is you who needs to read up on the issue of monetary policy.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 02:24:13 PM »

No, nothing about my post suggested that I view Nixon favorably - I was just using that as an example.  The hippies, war protesters, and other left-leaning movements at the time were viewed as 'extreme' by the middle of the electorate, and it made the rather right-leaning Nixon seem 'responsible' by comparison. 

ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 02:29:07 PM »

Bernanke is smart enough so that it wouldn't even be very amusing to watch, I am afraid Smiley)

But, in truth, though, this might be a reason to reconsider keeping my savings in dollars. Euro has just gotten to be more attractive as a store of value.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 02:30:40 PM »

No, nothing about my post suggested that I view Nixon favorably - I was just using that as an example.  The hippies, war protesters, and other left-leaning movements at the time were viewed as 'extreme' by the middle of the electorate, and it made the rather right-leaning Nixon seem 'responsible' by comparison. 

Whoops, too late, your real views accidentally slipped out. You consider George McGovern a "crazy" and Richard Nixon a "responsible moderate".

So much for your "left-wing radical" act.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 02:33:06 PM »

Bernanke is smart enough so that it wouldn't even be very amusing to watch, I am afraid Smiley)

Yes, Bernanke's a genius, just look at the economic stability and prosperity he has created as Fed chairman.

Bernanke's gotten owned by Paul before, and I know he's not looking forward to having to deal with him more often.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 02:48:52 PM »

Considering QE2 is just as political as it is an economic plan, they'll screw up some more, and then it's back to business.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 02:57:57 PM »

Considering QE2 is just as political as it is an economic plan, they'll screw up some more, and then it's back to business.

What's your evidence that it's political? Even after QE2, current monetary policy is hardly loose, because the Taylor rule says interest rates should be deeply negative. (Had the Fed followed the Taylor rule in 01-03, the housing bubble would have been much more subdued if at all).

It seems to me they went out of their way to wait until after the election.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 03:16:39 PM »

Yes, I am well aware of how such criminal operations are run. From your comments I have to conclude that it is you who needs to read up on the issue of monetary policy.

Always with the playground taunts. See, monetary policy wasn't run by "banksters" when the Great Depression hit. Central banks were not independent and their was no monetary policy in the modern sense, because currency devaluations and inflation was not allowed.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 03:18:31 PM »

I'm not totally following.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 04:16:58 PM »

I know he's not looking forward to having to deal with him more often.

I don't think any sane person would be looking forward to that Smiley)
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 04:55:09 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2010, 08:11:11 PM by John Fitzgerald Sexgod Kennedy »

No, nothing about my post suggested that I view Johnson favorably - I was just using that as an example.  The warmongers and other right-leaning movements at the time were viewed as 'extreme' by the middle of the electorate, and it made the rather left-leaning Johnson seem 'responsible' by comparison.  

Just wanted to see what that looked like.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies