Tim Saler - 2008 GOP Presidential Primary Projection. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 08:46:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Tim Saler - 2008 GOP Presidential Primary Projection. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tim Saler - 2008 GOP Presidential Primary Projection.  (Read 10628 times)
PADem

« on: February 19, 2005, 04:57:12 PM »

Plus, the establishment will likely be on his side.

Do you really think that? Are you sure that the GOP will nominate the most high-profile far-right politician perhaps in the country. Just as the Democrats don't want to be seen as the party of hardcore liberals is that really the direction the party will take?

Secondly, even if the establishment is on his side, will the GOP really nominate someone, although eloquent and perhaps with good base appeal,  who does not appeal to moderates, independents and other such swing voters.....?
PADem

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 06:16:26 PM »

Do you really think that? Are you sure that the GOP will nominate the most high-profile far-right politician perhaps in the country. Just as the Democrats don't want to be seen as the party of hardcore liberals is that really the direction the party will take?

Secondly, even if the establishment is on his side, will the GOP really nominate someone, although eloquent and perhaps with good base appeal,  who does not appeal to moderates, independents and other such swing voters.....?

Santorum isn't far right. The establishment is happy that Santorum has been loyal to the party.

Santorum can win. Whether or not you like him you have to admit he is electable.

1. Santorum isn't far right!!!!! Where exactly do you place him then? He's certainly not anywhere near the McCain/Snowe wing of the party.

2. Yes Santorum is a good politician, a good speaker, and has charisma. He is nominatable (is that a word) BUT he is clearly to far removed from middle America to be elected President of the United States. 

Yes he will win the Billy Graham/Jerry Falwell types who may well support him in droves, but the point is, if the Democrats run anybody moderate or even a Kerry type then Santorum won't stand a chance. I just can't see how Mr and Mrs John Q. Taxpayer will support someone with such hardline politics.

And before you say it, yes his politics are hardline... Anyone who compares gays to those who engage in animal sex gets a cross in my book.
PADem

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 06:28:06 PM »
« Edited: February 19, 2005, 06:30:05 PM by PADem »

Santorum isn't far right. The establishment is happy that Santorum has been loyal to the party.

Santorum can win. Whether or not you like him you have to admit he is electable.

1. Santorum isn't far right!!!!! Where exactly do you place him then? He's certainly not anywhere near the McCain/Snowe wing of the party.

2. Yes Santorum is a good politician, a good speaker, and has charisma. He is nominatable (is that a word) BUT he is clearly to far removed from middle America to be elected President of the United States. 

Yes he will win the Billy Graham/Jerry Falwell types who may well support him in droves, but the point is, if the Democrats run anybody moderate or even a Kerry type then Santorum won't stand a chance. I just can't see how Mr and Mrs John Q. Taxpayer will support someone with such hardline politics.

And before you say it, yes his politics are hardline... Anyone who compares gays to those who engage in animal sex gets a cross in my book.

He's no where near McCain or Snowe so he's far right? Yeah...ok...I'd say he's conservative. Not far right, not moderate.

Unless you can provide me with a map (a reasonable map that is) where Santorum could lose, then stop saying how unelectable he is.

"Mr. and Mrs. John Q. Taxpayer" would prefer someone like Santorum over someone like Kerry, Gore, Clinton...

Map.... Here you go.... This is against the likes of Bayh, Warner, Richardson..

PADem

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2005, 06:31:54 PM »

An explanation of the above map. Assuming PA voted for Santorum, which would be a definiate tossup in a national election. This is how it would turn out. Indiana would only flip for Bayh, but Ohio, New Mexico, and perhaps even Nevada would vote for someone like Richardson
PADem

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2005, 06:32:50 PM »

Yes,

Bayh, Warner and Richardson are exactly the kind of nominees the Democrats need. I for one think Bayh has an excellent chance of getting the nomination.
PADem

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2005, 06:36:56 PM »

Yes,

Bayh, Warner and Richardson are exactly the kind of nominees the Democrats need. I for one think Bayh has an excellent chance of getting the nomination.

It's not a question of what Dems need. It's a question of what will happen. Bayh or Warner getting the nomination - no way.

Why not. Moderate Democrats who both appeal to the base and consistently win in predominantly Republican states. The party would have to be stupid to give the nomination to someone Kerryesque this time around.
PADem

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2005, 07:43:38 PM »

Do you really think someone like Bayh, Warner or Richardson would get the nomination?

Yes (see 1992).
Your party keeps moving to the left.

And yours to the right... And I think 2004 has told us that we can't move that way... Deans Chairmanship hopefully won't push us further to the left though.....
PADem

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2005, 03:21:51 AM »

Do you really think someone like Bayh, Warner or Richardson would get the nomination?

Yes (see 1992).
Your party keeps moving to the left.

And yours to the right... And I think 2004 has told us that we can't move that way... Deans Chairmanship hopefully won't push us further to the left though.....

This is all such a bunch of bull. They've got us yammering about left and right issues and all the while both parties are using tax dollars and policy to bolster corporate America- big government for big business, neither left nor right really. There is enough check and balance and media and public pressure that left and right are fairly innocuous. Screw ideological labels and the lobbyists that pay for them- give me a real life freakin populist- it's our only hope really.

Spoken like a true Tennessian
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies