How would you vote ... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 01:49:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  How would you vote ... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: in the Austrian "conscription referendum" in January 2013 ?
Keep the mandatory 6-month draft and 9 month civil service

Abolish the draft & civil service and create a professional army

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 99

Author Topic: How would you vote ...  (Read 26960 times)
danny
Israel

« on: September 18, 2012, 03:59:23 PM »

I would support abolishing it in Austria, here in Israel it is still necessary though.
danny
Israel

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 06:29:10 AM »

I would support abolishing it in Austria, here in Israel it is still necessary though.
I fail to see how it could be necessary in one country and abolishable in another, and how one could have geographically varying values and convictions, but maybe that's just me...

The two countries have very different circumstances. If Austria didn't have an army, nothing much would change. If Israel didn't have an army, they would quickly be invaded and destroyed.
danny
Israel

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 04:21:49 PM »

Did I say something about having or not an army ? That is totally irrelevant to what we're discussing, and I think you're doing this on purpose.

To get back on our topic, death penalty is not more justified in certain circumstances in certain countries. Either you support it, believe in it, and I don't see why you would let it be abolished in some cases, or you don't support it, and nothing justifies it.

In a utopian world There would be no armies at all, much less a draft. However, beliefs must fit in with reality, and in Israel's case it is necessary to have a large percent of its population go to the army in order to survive.

I don't trust people with geometrically variable beliefs...

I think a bigger problem is with people who don't let facts get in the way of their ideology.
danny
Israel

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 05:04:22 PM »

Why on earth is the Red-Green Alliance in favor of the draft ? O_o

They think the army should only consists of draftees because the alternative, a professional army, is worse. Their spokesman on the subject said that "we have seen plenty of professional soldiers around the world with strange attitudes towards human rights and those they are fighting against". They believe that the draft secures a diverse composition of the military which enhances internal scrutiny and common sense.

I wonder if this can be seen as an endorsement of the Israeli army and its human rights attitudes since that is a draftee army;)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies