Gender politics and liberalism (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 09:18:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Gender politics and liberalism (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gender politics and liberalism  (Read 3139 times)
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« on: March 27, 2013, 12:31:07 PM »

As this forum eloquently shows, there are lots of liberal guys who have a complete blind spot on gender issues. This deeply saddens me.

well, i don't think it would be 100% honest to portray feminism as attacked purely from the right. feminism for a long time was largely a movement of middle class white cishet women - the NOW didn't want lesbians involved when they first formed iirc, and there's still plenty of hatred towards transwomen from even mainstream feminists because they take social constructivism to its logical ends i.e. abolishing gender.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 12:43:59 PM »

I think you’re looking too closely into it. Men tend not to wear their hearts on their sleeves which is neither a good nor bad thing. On a thing like Facebook they are less likely to do the whole ‘share this link if you want to beat cancer’ stuff that a lot of my female friends tend to do.

This is what I originally thought too, until I noticed the guys went rather out of their way to criticize the practice.

There's a friend of mine who is very liberal but often finds himself at odds with feminism, particularly if it requires PC-ness. This is something he sent me that he mocked a lot over the past week:

http://i.imgur.com/gWe2umL.jpg

Maybe I'm just observing a subset of the population that is particularly grounded in the internet, and therefore a bit less sensitive towards social interactions than a lot of others.

i think there's a backlash amongst liberals against what i suppose you'd call new "new left" types, i.e. those with a focus on identity politics and social justice. i spend most of my time on tumblr and there's a culture of that there as opposed to sites like reddit where masculists and such run rampant.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 01:22:11 PM »

don't know how long i'll be back for, but thought i might as well pay one of my irregular visits.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 01:29:34 PM »

hey!

yeaahh, slipped back into marxism. blame tumblr.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 03:15:16 PM »

One of my Facebook friends who is very conservative changed his profile picture to a plus sign.  What's that supposed to mean?

i'd imagine it means opposite sex marriage > same sex.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 04:23:52 AM »

As this forum eloquently shows, there are lots of liberal guys who have a complete blind spot on gender issues. This deeply saddens me.

well, i don't think it would be 100% honest to portray feminism as attacked purely from the right. feminism for a long time was largely a movement of middle class white cishet women - the NOW didn't want lesbians involved when they first formed iirc, and there's still plenty of hatred towards transwomen from even mainstream feminists because they take social constructivism to its logical ends i.e. abolishing gender.

I'm not surprised that many feminists in the past may have held certain awful views, just like many progressive crusaders of the late 19th-early 20th centuries were deeply racist, or like many civil right activists were raging homophobes. Unfortunately, being on the vanguard on one issue doesn't necessarily entail being on other issues.

That said, I'm pretty sure 99% of feminists today are also strong supporters of LGBT causes.

Oh, and welcome back BTW! Smiley

a lot of them certainly are, idk, maybe i've been skewed by being on tumblr for a long time and seeing some of the more vile segments of the community.

and thanks Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies