Mass Transit Infrastructure Investment Act of 2008 (At Final Vote) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 08:32:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mass Transit Infrastructure Investment Act of 2008 (At Final Vote) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mass Transit Infrastructure Investment Act of 2008 (At Final Vote)  (Read 5652 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« on: July 19, 2008, 08:55:41 PM »

With respect, your post isn't very coherent, Al.

Eh, it's a little late here so...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The problem isn't the money raising aspect, the problem is with the legislature determining (and actually determining not determing-in-theory) all the little details of government policy. It's an open invite for pork-barrel politics and thus corruption. It's also an appalling way of running a transport policy; instead of the places that need money getting it, the places that have people shouting for them the loudest that get it.

In this case, it is the areas that need it the most (at least from the Northeastern part of the bill, all that has yet to be worked out). While I might not normally have confidence in such measures, I do have confidence that Atlasia will reach practical solutions--after all, there is no political advantage to pork here.

Frankly, I have much less confidence in the Regions, which never actively debate anything.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 04:38:01 PM »

and throw out there some kind of reason to actually have Senators elected from regions.
Okay then, I'll oppose this legislation on the grounds that it might provide a reason to have Senators elected from regions. Grin

You want to get rid of me already eh?  Grin
No, I want us to be elected by the people like the other five Senators. Grin

I'm inclined to agree, but mass transit is important enough that I'll support it anyway. But, if the invalidly elected DWTL wants to shirk his duties, it won't matter. I will not support any legislation that simply gives unmandated money to the Southeast (or any other Region).
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 05:24:43 PM »

Why shouldn't the people decide what the money should go to?

Because the people are, as a rule, even worse at debate and decision-making than their representation.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 03:00:18 PM »

Nay, and another sigh at the pointlessness of Regions.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 02:45:35 PM »

Anyone taking over PPT duties (perhaps the VP) to close some of these votes that long should be over?

The VP/President of the Senate (Ebowed) is responsible for the duties of the PPT (Colin) in his absence. Were the position of VP to be vacant, the Dean (Afleitch), would be responsible, followed by the next-most senior Senator (myself), etc. down the line of seniority assuming all above are absent.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies