1916: Hughes is elected President (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 03:17:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  1916: Hughes is elected President (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1916: Hughes is elected President  (Read 2704 times)
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix
E: -5.87, S: -2.87

« on: December 06, 2010, 09:32:08 AM »

Had Charles Evan Hughes been elected President in November 1916, how do you think the course of the next four to eight years might have been different? Would America have still gotten involved in World War I? To a greater or lesser extent? Would there have been any idea of a League of Nations put forth?
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix
E: -5.87, S: -2.87

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 10:34:28 AM »

Had Charles Evan Hughes been elected President in November 1916, how do you think the course of the next four to eight years might have been different? Would America have still gotten involved in World War I? To a greater or lesser extent?

Really doubt that it would be a greater extent -- not sure what a greater extent would even look like.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yes. Possibly even a better idea for an organization that the US would have joined.

Why do you say a better idea might have been put forth under a Hughes Presidency? I'm not very familiar with Hughes' political positions, but it seems the GOP was very much against the idea of the League of Nations for what seems, from my reading, to be staunch isolationism. I guess as basically the party leader, if Hughes offered up any such idea for a League of Nations type body, the GOP would have better supported it, but the question is--Would he have? I don't know what his views were on that sort of thing.

So yeah...Why do you think we would've had a League of Nations type organization, and why might it have been better?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies