Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 06:50:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion Thread  (Read 15077 times)
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: April 15, 2019, 11:23:51 AM »

I generally approved ... 8/10.  It was a semi-rushed (by necessity) episode to set up the next two.  The moment with Sam was top notch and kind of stole the show.  Visually, it was flawless.

Pumped for next week, which interestingly looks like it will contain the start of a battle (from watching the preview).

P.S.  I LOVED the scene at the Last Hearth.  I was worried they would dumb down the White Walkers a bit too much in this rushed final season, and - while I guess they still could - it was refreshing to see them emphasize the spiral symbol right off the bat in the premiere ... it gives me some hope that they will still dive into the mythology of the White Walkers a bit more.  Also, for people who think that the living will win the Battle of Winterfell in Episode 3 and defeat the Night King and then turn their attention toward Cersei in Kings Landing (~50% of the fan base from what I have seen), you are now predicting that the Night King will literally be in TWO episodes and will only see battle action in one ... not buying it.  Our crew is definitely going to have to retreat south.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious that the gang is going to get it's ass kicked in Episode 3 and have to stage a retreat.

I guess we all knew that Kid Umber was dead the second Sansa told him to go bring his people back (what no ravens to Umber?). 

I like that Cersei expressed our disappointment at not having elephants.  As a book nerd I'm still mad that the whole Rickon goes to the isle of the super wildlings and their unicorn creatures got ditched.  Also cranky that House Manderly was never part of the show as they seemed quite skilled in the books and their ships would be handy for a retreat.  Of course, that's probably where Yara comes in.  Again, as a book nerd having it done via House Reed and the crannogmen would be cool (and Meera's still out there somewhere) but that ain't gonna happen.  Yara just gets to sail up wherever and give them a lift.

The Bran-Jamie reunion was a great one cause Jamie gets the same look everyone gets from Bran, except Jamie don't know that.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 11:58:31 AM »

And while it was nice of Cersei to hire Bronn to move him north also, why would anyone think he'd actually do it?  Where is Brienne BTW?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 06:52:36 PM »

Again, I've been corrupted by the books, but I assume that the Night King is headed back to the place from which he's created, the Isle of Faces, which we've only briefly seen via Bran.  It's located between the Riverlands and King's Landing.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 10:41:49 AM »

It was a good night.  The Brienne knighting was the best.  Didn't much care for Arya geting it on, cause she's like everyone's little sister (sure trained assassin little sister).  Tormund is a freak.  Bronn didn't show up, so I guess Tyrion or Jaime will survive (most likely Tyrion) the battle.  Jaime and Theon (and Gendry, I guess) seem almost certain for death.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 11:58:37 PM »

It seemed pretty good.  Now, I'll have to adjust the brightness on the TV so I can see what actually happened.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 12:06:41 AM »

Some might complain that it was skimpy on killing off big characters, but lots of things to still do.  Actually glad that Grey Worm and Missandei survived, cause there's no reason they should have to die in the land of racist hicks.

Aside from creating a cool visual, what genius thought sending the Dothraki out was a good idea?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 01:03:16 AM »

“prophecy is like a half-trained mule. It looks as though it might be useful, but the moment you trust in it, it kicks you in the head.”--book Jorah. 

I'm not really all that bothered by the prophecy issues.

The problem was the Night King never talked.  Not even in Bran's head.  I guess we'll never know what all those symbols were about.  Unless there's some Night King denouement to come.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 10:34:05 AM »

“prophecy is like a half-trained mule. It looks as though it might be useful, but the moment you trust in it, it kicks you in the head.”--book Jorah. 

I'm not really all that bothered by the prophecy issues.

The problem was the Night King never talked.  Not even in Bran's head.  I guess we'll never know what all those symbols were about.  Unless there's some Night King denouement to come.

He didn't need to. One thing people tend to forget is that villains don't always need complex motivations. There is in fact an argument to be made the NK is nothing but a tool, nd the tool's purpose was to wipe out humanity.

So, the Night King just got some chuckles out leaving all the symbols? Imma gonna kill everybody but Imma gonna goof on them first.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 09:34:13 PM »

There is a theory going around that the Golden Company may betray Cersei and support either Daenerys or Aegon (aka Jon Snow) for the Iron Throne.

Thoughts?

They're sellswords and it's possible that the Iron Bank plays the game too, but that's more of a book style plot than a D&D speed round mode. 

Hopefully, they pull the old switcheroo with Daenerys and don't have her go mad (when making it look obvious she will).  I'm just hoping somebody actually does something smart in the final two episodes.

Tyrion did some nice work with the whole Cersei baby guilt thing and letting Euron know it wasn't his. 
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 10:57:30 PM »

There is a theory going around that the Golden Company may betray Cersei and support either Daenerys or Aegon (aka Jon Snow) for the Iron Throne.

Thoughts?

They're sellswords and it's possible that the Iron Bank plays the game too, but that's more of a book style plot than a D&D speed round mode. 

Hopefully, they pull the old switcheroo with Daenerys and don't have her go mad (when making it look obvious she will).  I'm just hoping somebody actually does something smart in the final two episodes.

Tyrion did some nice work with the whole Cersei baby guilt thing and letting Euron know it wasn't his. 

Well, Arya did something smart and got a magic pony out of it.  That's about it.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 11:08:15 PM »

Mittens showed off his love of the show and of Mrs. Mittens, by declaring her the "Mother of Dragons" for Mother's Day

Good timing

DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 01:11:52 AM »

can somebody please explain to me why the seven realms didnt just dissolve back into independent kingdoms like the north just did? that would make much more sense than randomly making bran king.  realistically, they all should had just peaced out. i mean the only thing that brought and kept the 7 kingdoms together was the threat of targaryens' dragons and when they were gone, the dynasty was basically just rolling on inertia until robert's rebellion. ok, i need to stop giving this show more thought than the writers clearly did. im just disappointed

Clearly, they were all tired of the plot lines and the internet drama too.  Let the gimp run things for a couple of decades while everyone has a nice long rest and watch Barry for awhile.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies