Do you believe God has abandoned us?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 04:38:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Do you believe God has abandoned us?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Well?
Yes

No

Maybe

There is no God

Other (Explain)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Do you believe God has abandoned us?  (Read 8551 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2008, 03:33:26 PM »

Of course people can be condescending as Christians. But it isn't necessarily so. Neither is atheism inherently condescending. I have the deepest respect for agnosticism or atheism - I completely understand where those people are coming from. Having faith is not easy, but again, few reasonably Christians claim that. I've met very few who act like that, personally. So it isn't really a general issue for me, but in this particular case I think it was very condescending and in a way that is sweeping towards a large group of people that imo deserve a little more respect for their beliefs than that.

Yes.  As I said at the end of my post, his aggressiveness is unnecessary.

You said I'm "dismissing atheism" and I'm not sure what you mean by that? Furthermore, I'm not sure I get the point of how Christianity is all-dominating in the United States, etc. My point was not to claim that all Christians are great martyrs and all atheists are idiots, but rather the exact opposite: denouncing a group of people in such a broad, generalizing way is offensive to me. I feel the same way when people claim "Democrats are just lazy people who want handouts" or "Republicans are just greedy rich people who want to keep their money", to take a political example.

You are dismissing atheism as unreasonable by believing in Christianity, which essentially demands a level of certainty that precludes thinking atheism is reasonable.  Again, I don't really understand "faith" so this is only based on the few logical inferences I'm able to make.

There is a cultural difference of course. In Sweden it's a bit taboo to be religious so I'm used to being a bit defensive about it and don't really think of Christians as having "the upper hand" in public debate.

That's an interesting side debate, actually.  I once spoke to someone from a heavily black area who was frustrated by the acceptability of making fun of white people.  He simultaneously felt threatened by being a minority and not having the protections minorities generally have.  I can see where you're coming from.  I'd say most people I know are non-religious too, but because America and the world are so heavily religious, there's still somewhat of a feeling that the religious are a societally dominant group.

In Sweden, I'm sure it's a different situation.

As for religious faith in itself being condescending is a bit absurd to me. By that definition, any belief that someone disagrees with is condescending. I don't have to view people as deluded or look down on them just because they don't share my opinion on something.

I actually disagree with your second sentence.  I'd argue that atheists have a lesser burden of proof than Christians.  Atheists simply must be convinced enough that God doesn't exist to operate on that assumption.  Christian doctrine requires a little more, does it not?

Do you not think that Judaism, agnosticism, atheism, etc., are logically irrational?  If not, how can you eliminate them as considerations?

Again, you seem to still claim that religion v atheism is "feel-good v depressed rationality"

I don't know about seeming to, but I don't claim any such thing.  I'm usually excessively vague about things, the very opposite of a generalization like that.  Tongue

For some it looks like that. For many it doesn't. I know people who are "regrettably atheist" - they'd like to believe that there was a God, but they can't bring themselves to it. But a lot of people enjoy being atheist, I'm sure. You don't have to worry about punishment for your sins, you can enjoy yourself and create your own moral standards. Religion isn't exactly known for giving a rosy, glorious perspective on the world. Many are quite depressing in their nature.

True, but it still gives an objective "purpose" to life.  If there was no selfish reason to be religious than overrided the selfish reasons not to be, people wouldn't be religious.  If people seek truth, it is to satisfy a desire for truth.  That may make their mortal lives more difficult, but for most people, ultimate Truth and Justice apparently overshadows mortal comfort.  You could say it's an alternative form of martyrdom, in a way, or at least that it comes from the same place.

Maybe you think that human belief isn't explainable like that, and that there is some "larger" reason for belief - one that doesn't manifest itself in a logical way.  Maybe so, I guess.  But I don't see any reason to think that.

So I still consider that perspective very simplifying and, yes, somewhat condescending.

When it comes to something like this, anything that simplistic and condescending is invariably also probably wrong.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2008, 09:23:24 AM »

Lots of points raised here. I'm gonna focus on the one I find most interesting and which I also think we disagree on the most.

I still don't see why beliving in Christianity "demands a level of certainty that precludes thinking atheism is reasonable." At least not more than when it comes to any other issue.

As for other religions, I don't particularly think about them. I'm not fundemantalist or orthodox in that sense, so I do believe religious institutions to an extent are cultural products. So I don't necessarily view Judaism or Islam as opposites of my own faith. Complicated discussion though so think about whether we really need to open up that one. Tongue I'll focus on atheism and agnosticism instead.

Here, you're asking how I can eliminate them as considerations. Now, we're gonna enter a pretty complex land of theoretical philosophy on which I'm no expert myself. The definitions of the terms we're using become pretty important. On an epistemological level I don't view atheism as inferior. I'm not saying that I think any rational, logical person must be a Christian. I'm not saying that I think there are argument for being a Christian that are logically unassailable. I don't try and convert people. In that sense, I'm not "ruling out" "dismissing", etc. However, to me, this is not contradictory in any way to actually selecting an alternative to believe in. There are a couple of different "reasons" for this but it pretty much boils down to faith. While we can use logic as a tool to deduce inferences from given premises you eventually get to a point of the premises themselves. These you either believe in or you don't. Fundamentally, there are points where no arguments could be given. And I believe in God as one such premise. If you pick another one and becomes an atheist, feel free. I'm not gonna think that you're right of course, but I'm also not going to claim that my position holds any logical or intellectual superiority.
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -5.13

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2008, 10:20:05 AM »

I dislike deism. It seems too simplistic. I dislike atheism also, because it's just a mess. Especially when I see so much proof that the Catholic Church is the only rational choice.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies