"Christian" overtakes "Protestant" label among younger Christians (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 03:06:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  "Christian" overtakes "Protestant" label among younger Christians (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Christian" overtakes "Protestant" label among younger Christians  (Read 1488 times)
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« on: January 10, 2022, 12:58:10 PM »
« edited: January 10, 2022, 01:15:44 PM by StateBoiler »

Contemporary churches in general completely reject the classifications of the different Christian denominations, in other words, there's no difference between Methodist, Baptist, Lutheran, etc., "we're all Christians". They largely don't even believe in church organization higher than the individual church/it's never treated like it's a serious thing (imagine taking the Catholic Church and then setting up something that is organizationally the complete opposite). These are the churches that have been growing in membership while traditional denomination churches have declined. These churches however are all Protestant in character. They're not Catholic of course and they're not Orthodox. I'm sure if you went to the pastors, questioned them, and dug into their theology a bit you could say "you're pretty much a Methodist", but that's not what the people in attendance could tell you.

Also, from years of attending Presbyterian, various contemporary, and now a Methodist church, I've never heard a preacher say the word "Protestant". It's a word used to describe whole bandwidths of Christianity that those people themselves never use.

I remember there was a girl in my senior high school class, who went to my Protestant church growing up, who did not know what a "Protestant" was. She pronounced it "pro-teestant" when she was introduced to the word.

We need some level of religious education in public schools. The fact that educators even refuse to touch the topic is an embarrassment.

I guess I don't really understand why this has relevancy in K-12 schools.

Any western civilization education should include the Reformation for its impact on secular European (and therefore American as well) thought and life.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 08:20:32 AM »
« Edited: January 12, 2022, 08:24:21 AM by StateBoiler »

This is funny to me because many people here (west coast of Scotland) would be more likely to identify as Protestant than think of themselves as Presbyterian or even Christian, for obvious, uh, sectarian reasons.

The trend in the US must be very much because Catholicism became destigmatised in wider American society and as WASPs lost cultural hegemony.

Catholics would answer they're Catholics because Catholicism is very much its own thing when it comes to worship and the Church over time has created a Catholic religious identity. The closest to them would probably be Lutherans and Episcopalians (the Anglican Church under its more common U.S. name). Protestantism in contrast all the denominations have borrowed from one another and the differences have gotten muddled and less important, in part due to a strong disbelief in church organization centralization. I grew up a Presbyterian, and yeah, there's things in a Presbyterian worship service that other churches don't do, but they're minor and it's not like we're wholly off the reservation from standard Protestant practice.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies