Why 2012 is different to 2004 (and why that could mean a Romney win) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 12:20:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Why 2012 is different to 2004 (and why that could mean a Romney win) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why 2012 is different to 2004 (and why that could mean a Romney win)  (Read 5034 times)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« on: April 21, 2012, 03:53:07 PM »

Not only that, but the Occupy stuff hasn't even hit its full stride yet. Once that happens, that's the end of the Romney campaign.

That Occupy stuff is a BIG loser for the Democrats. Populism never works in a national campaign. Go ask Walter Mondale.

Yeah, and go talk to Truman about it too.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 04:02:31 PM »

Not only that, but the Occupy stuff hasn't even hit its full stride yet. Once that happens, that's the end of the Romney campaign.

That Occupy stuff is a BIG loser for the Democrats. Populism never works in a national campaign. Go ask Walter Mondale.

Newsflash: He's dead and so are most of the people who voted for him. We might as well talk about Andrew Jackson next. The New Deal era died in the late 1970s. Stagflation was the legacy of naive Keynesianism. Why anybody thought things would turn out differently this time is beyond me.

The hilarious part: Romney, and people like me, want America to progress economically and technologically as we did over the past thirty years prior to the financial crisis. So-called "progressives" want America to simply stagnate until it withers into a wimpy shade of its former self (like most of Europe).

The progress of the 90's just created an artificial bubble and an inevitable bust.  High prosperity creates deep recessions, while steady growth means weaker recessions. You should know that.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 04:12:56 PM »

Newsflash: He's dead and so are most of the people who voted for him. We might as well talk about Andrew Jackson next. The New Deal era died in the late 1970s. Stagflation was the legacy of naive Keynesianism. Why anybody thought things would turn out differently this time is beyond me.

The hilarious part: Romney, and people like me, want America to progress economically and technologically as we did over the past thirty years prior to the financial crisis. So-called "progressives" want America to simply stagnate until it withers into a wimpy shade of its former self (like most of Europe).

The progress of the 90's just created an artificial bubble and an inevitable bust.  High prosperity creates deep recessions, while steady growth means weaker recessions. You should know that.

Government policy (i.e., Community Reinvestment Act, Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac, repealing Glass-Steagall, etc.) created incentives that caused the 2008 financial crisis, so you'll have to excuse me for not having faith in more government. Government policy does not create results. Government policy creates incentives, which create results. More of the old-style "more government is better" policy is a recipe for further disaster down the road.

1. I oppose the government encouraging people to take on loans they can't pay. It's a recipe for predatory loaning.
2. Yeah, I'm not exactly a fan of Clinton & Bush's policy towards Wall Street.
3. Repealing Glass-Steagall was a deregulatory action. Does that mean you support increased financial regulations? If so, good for you.

And finally, do you really think Romney would be a debt-slashing deficit hawk? Not only does he openly state he won't cut any defense spending, but he wants a 20% income tax cut and hasn't said a word on corporate subsidies. He'd effectively be a status quo president; deficits would increase thanks to the handouts he'd give to his buddies.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 04:25:19 PM »

Oh, I forgot to mention: "High prosperity" is rarely so when you look below the surface. You're right. I prefer growth that is steadier and more even.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 04:26:57 PM »

And Politico: I don't support Obama so much as I oppose the Republican Party.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 04:29:20 PM »

"Europe" is a broad term. I much prefer Scandinavian economics, for instance, to Italian economics.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 04:37:59 PM »

The EU is a confederation; the United States is a federation. North Dakota and West Virginia may have different conditions and policies, but they have much less leeway than Germany and Greece do.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies