Justice Dept. sides with baker who refused to serve gay couple (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:07:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Justice Dept. sides with baker who refused to serve gay couple (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Justice Dept. sides with baker who refused to serve gay couple  (Read 7506 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« on: September 07, 2017, 08:11:55 PM »
« edited: September 08, 2017, 03:19:13 AM by Old School Republican »

Small businesses should have right to deny service to anyone, even though it would be a horrible thing to do .

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 08:49:57 PM »

Small businesses should have right to deny service to anyone.

So you oppose the Civil Rights Acts?

Of course I support the Civil Rights Act

Private Buisnesses not hiring someone based on race and sex is a civil rights violation  , but denying services To customers is not a civil rights violation in any sense of the word .

So not serving someone because they're black is not a civil rights issue? sh**t, you people are the ones who are mentally ill.

You don't have a right to receive a cake to celebrate a wedding .

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 09:17:07 PM »
« Edited: September 29, 2017, 02:41:27 AM by Vice President PiT »

Small businesses should have right to deny service to anyone.

So you oppose the Civil Rights Acts?

Of course I support the Civil Rights Act
Private Buisnesses not hiring someone based on race and sex is a civil rights violation  , but denying services To customers is not a civil rights violation in any sense of the word .

So not serving someone because they're black is not a civil rights issue? sh**t, you people are the ones who are mentally ill.

That is an outrageous accusation, and I specifically said  businesses that arent small businesses or family owned restaurants do not have the right to deny service.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 10:00:17 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2017, 03:17:26 AM by Old School Republican »

I'd also like to be clear that Old School Republican and Extreme Republican are on their own turf with their opposition to the civil rights act (for "small" businesses). I completely support the civil rights act. No Business should ever be allowed to discriminate based on race, religion, or sex (that's just sex, not sexual orientation or gender identity, although I do support some CSR protections for those groups.).

What the heck ,I do support the Civil Rights Act.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 10:07:25 PM »

You know whats not a small business : Costco, Walmart , Restaurant Chains.

Also I clearly said that no business should have a right to deny employment based on race, sexual orientation , or sex.

Also here's the thing , if any  small business was discriminatory to customers it would be out of business quickly . The free market deals with these types of issues much better than the government does .

Lastly what I meant was that in this case(which I was talking about before it got turned into something else) you dont have the right to make a baker bake the cake you want, you should just accept the cakes he wants to bake or go to another business .
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 11:13:14 PM »

Small businesses should have right to deny service to anyone .

Because segregation and Jim Crow laws were awesome, and totally cured by the Invisible Hand of the free market, am I right?

Segregation and Jim Crow were laws passed by the state governments not buisnesses . So now segregation was solely to blame on the government .2nd my definition of a small business in this case is a sole proprietorship or partnership and they only have their buisness  in one town.

In my opinion Small Buisnesses should have as few regulations as possible (except of course no hiring a child under 16 , minimum wage laws ,safety of  employees and products,no discrimination in hiring ) because the invisible hand of the free market will already regulate them out of buisnesses if they do something terrible such as discriminating against customers .
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 11:31:32 PM »

Small businesses should have right to deny service to anyone .

Because segregation and Jim Crow laws were awesome, and totally cured by the Invisible Hand of the free market, am I right?

Segregation and Jim Crow were laws passed by the state governments not buisnesses . So now segregation was solely to blame on the government .2nd my definition of a small business in this case is a sole proprietorship or partnership and they only have their buisness  in one town.

In my opinion Small Buisnesses should have as few regulations as possible (except of course no hiring a child under 16 , minimum wage laws ,safety of  employees and products,no discrimination in hiring ) because the invisible hand of the free market will already regulate them out of buisnesses if they do something terrible such as discriminating against customers .

You are really "old school."
Just go away and enjoy your rocking chair.

Supporting the free market is old school lmao
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 11:41:08 PM »

In my opinion the goverment should only regulate things that can not  be regulated by the free market and this is one thing I believe that can be regulated by free market 
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 11:55:25 PM »

In my opinion the goverment should only regulate things that can not  be regulated by the free market and this is one thing I believe that can be regulated by free market 

Meanwhile, if it fails to do so, you have a plethora of groups in society being denied services and discriminated against, in the name of the free market, of course. It baffles me how people can support something like this just to hold onto their stringent takes on an ideological stance, unless they really don't care, which may be the case.

Nope it won't fail cause denying services to any group a buisness wants doesn't apply to corporations and any buisness which is in more than one town . This means that people won't be denied services in edn
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 12:52:50 AM »

Good to know that some people would be okay with someone denying services to an interracial couple.
I would, as the child of an interracial couple.

And you would be okay with this dude denying services to your parents because they were interracial?

Dude, you're entitled to your own opinions and ideology, but that's just f***** up.

He is trying to use emotional appeal in federal policy. Surely you can understand how one legally supports what one morally opposes?

Good to know that some people would be okay with someone denying services to an interracial couple.

I'm also a child of an interracial couple, and this is an example of when "sticking to principles" results in incredibly idiotic conclusions.

My principles do not compromise or yield, except where they depend upon the faulty and changing ideas and facts of man. Call me whatever names you like, but that won't change my mind.

Yes, I can understand Concept in principle, however to apply that in practice to public businesses being able to deny services on the base of race is, I reiterate f****** stupid. Reread The Heart of Dixie case and realize this country and its free market economy are much much stronger due to a robust reading of the Commerce Clause.

How in the name of bleeding Christ anyone can believe otherwise, morally, legally, philosophically, or for s**** and grins, after 50 years of the most patently indisputably successful and Society improving decision that the Congress and Supreme Court have ever put into action, at least during the century, is unreal to me.

For folks who do so saying I'm not racist I'm just very libertarian and my view of what government can restrict, your little better than a cross burning Klansman. Weather One support for doing so is based on a speech by Lester Maddox or reading Ayn Rand, the end result is still every bit as ugly, an American, and frankly anti-free Enterprise. The ability of consumers to freely choose goods and services is the basis of the free market according to Adam Smith, people not just the right of businesses to be dicks to people who don't look like them and their family. Barry Goldwater may get venerated now and again because he moderated and was willing to tell Jerry Falwell on the religious right to go to hell, and even though he probably didn't have a racist bone in his body, at least compared to any other man of his age in generation, he was still the racist best friend in government for his pushing a dead wrong policy.

Sole proprietorships and partnerships aren't public buisnesses
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 02:45:40 AM »

And you would be okay with this dude denying services to your parents because they were interracial?

Dude, you're entitled to your own opinions and ideology, but that's just f***** up.

He is trying to use emotional appeal in federal policy. Surely you can understand how one legally supports what one morally opposes?

I'm also a child of an interracial couple, and this is an example of when "sticking to principles" results in incredibly idiotic conclusions.

My principles do not compromise or yield, except where they depend upon the faulty and changing ideas and facts of man. Call me whatever names you like, but that won't change my mind.

Yes, I can understand Concept in principle, however to apply that in practice to public businesses being able to deny services on the base of race is, I reiterate f****** stupid. Reread The Heart of Dixie case and realize this country and its free market economy are much much stronger due to a robust reading of the Commerce Clause.

How in the name of bleeding Christ anyone can believe otherwise, morally, legally, philosophically, or for s**** and grins, after 50 years of the most patently indisputably successful and Society improving decision that the Congress and Supreme Court have ever put into action, at least during the century, is unreal to me.

For folks who do so saying I'm not racist I'm just very libertarian and my view of what government can restrict, your little better than a cross burning Klansman. Weather One support for doing so is based on a speech by Lester Maddox or reading Ayn Rand, the end result is still every bit as ugly, an American, and frankly anti-free Enterprise. The ability of consumers to freely choose goods and services is the basis of the free market according to Adam Smith, people not just the right of businesses to be dicks to people who don't look like them and their family. Barry Goldwater may get venerated now and again because he moderated and was willing to tell Jerry Falwell on the religious right to go to hell, and even though he probably didn't have a racist bone in his body, at least compared to any other man of his age in generation, he was still the racist best friend in government for his pushing a dead wrong policy.

Sole proprietorships and partnerships aren't public buisnesses

You don't have to be a publicly traded company, which I believe is the nonsense oh definition you're using, to be engaged any public stream of Commerce. You are two plus two equals five factually incorrect.

There is a huge difference in this and the pre 1960s south as unlike the pre 1960s south , as the large corporations in those areas  wontt allowed to deny service to groups of people and corporations are where most people get their goods from which means if mom and pop try to act like dicks to different group of people they will lose thier difference.

In my opinion is that if the free market is able to regulate businesses in certain areas the government shouldnt get involved.

In this case since its really only sole proprietorship or partnerships who would be able to act in this way legally, they will immediately start losing customers if they started acting like dicks to customers who arent part of the same race or sex as them, so they will lose their business  .

I'm not defending those businesses because what they do is terrible . What I am saying is the free market can take care of this issue better then the government can
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 03:01:41 AM »

Smh... Just get with the times. One, the couple should've went to another business that doesn't want to serve them and file the complaint. And the baker honestly is fed with so much b.s. that they felt it was the right thing to do. Promote the message of Equality, that's what makes our country great.

you know a democrat running for Sec of State in Oregon lost last year for exactly this issue: http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/15/politics/oregon-bakery-official-lost-trnd/index.html

this proves that the best way to deal with issues like this is in the free market and not the government.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 12:10:19 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2017, 12:12:01 PM by Old School Republican »

In my opinion the goverment should only regulate things that can not  be regulated by the free market and this is one thing I believe that can be regulated by free market  

Meanwhile, if it fails to do so, you have a plethora of groups in society being denied services and discriminated against, in the name of the free market, of course. It baffles me how people can support something like this just to hold onto their stringent takes on an ideological stance, unless they really don't care, which may be the case.

Nope it won't fail cause denying services to any group a buisness wants doesn't apply to corporations and any buisness which is in more than one town . This means that people won't be denied services in edn

The "free market" doesn't exist. What you really mean is humans, who have beliefs and prejudices that will take precedence over money. What if all the business decided that white people have more money so we just charge them twice as much for it? Bet you'd freak on that as "racism".

First I never said all the buisnesses could do this, I specifically said sole proprietorships , partnerships who's business in only one city are allowed to do this . Corporations are for one not allowed to deny service to people for based on race , sex, religion  .

So for your question say a small business decided to charge whites more than everybody else ,  what that would mean is that many customers stop going to that buisness . That would cause that buisness to go out of business.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies