Should the Greek government have continued lying? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:52:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Should the Greek government have continued lying? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Should the Greek government have continued lying?  (Read 4714 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« on: May 09, 2010, 11:18:08 PM »

Meanwhile, Britain won't contribute a dime (which seemed obvious to me) to the EU bailout fund, which is amusingly small to handle all of the problems in Europe, which go far beyond Greece.  Not to mention the rumors of currency swaps starting again between the US and European banks.

Yeah, only an economic mind of your magnitude could foresee the fact that a non-Eurozone country would contribute nothing to save a Eurozone country.
Roll Eyes

Your reading skills need improvement.  Just because I said that "it seems obvious to me" doesn't mean that it wouldn't be obvious to anyone else either with a brain.  Tongue

Well, if you want to call the other members of the forum idiots (instead of explaining what's going on) then be my guest.

It's obvious what's going on. The politics in Greece create social problems when the government tries to institute a program ala Ireland or Latvia to get control of the budget. The same is true of some other southern European countries. And Greece particularly needs to devalue, internally or externally. Certainly not having riots would help. (as would some action by the ECB)

Just wondering, but didn't the austerity measures in Ireland actually deepen the recession there as well as increasing their debt? So if the same thing is forced upon Greece, wouldn't the result be the same, probably leading to a default later on down the road?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 04:42:15 PM »

Yes, the situation is made 10 times worse by the fact that Greece uses the Euro. I think it's in everyone's best interest they leave the Euro. But shouldn't the Spanish and the Portuguese do the same? Or are they not in as much trouble?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies