why do americans (wrongly) consider statistics a field of mathematics? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 11:38:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  why do americans (wrongly) consider statistics a field of mathematics? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: why do americans (wrongly) consider statistics a field of mathematics?  (Read 378 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: April 17, 2014, 10:24:18 AM »

'Cause you do math, duh. Taking Statistics 1000(?) right now and it's  math, which I suck at.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 10:38:21 AM »

'Cause you do math, duh. Taking Statistics 1000(?) right now and it's  math, which I suck at.

you do math in economics also.

is economics also a branch of mathematics?

Economics is the measure and study of something specific. To my limited knowledge, statistics, like basic addition and other forms of math, can be applied to all sorts of subjects.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 11:01:18 AM »

You are certainly free to use your funds to endow the creation of a university in which statistics will be a stand-alone department with its own faculty and its own pedagogy.  Accrediting agencies can be somewhat conservative, though. 

http://www.stat.ncsu.edu/

This isn't the South. We don't wave Confederate flags or separate the Statistics department from Math in general.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies