CNN Poll concerning midterms
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 09:42:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CNN Poll concerning midterms
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CNN Poll concerning midterms  (Read 2321 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 25, 2006, 07:10:54 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/09/25/bush.poll/index.html

Generic Ballot: D 55% R 42%
Bush approval: 42% approve 55% disapprove

And

Asked which party in Congress would better handle specific issues, respondents backed Republicans on terrorism (47 percent to 41 percent), while Democrats were again seen as better able to handle the economy (51-39), health care (57-32), immigration (44-40) and moral issues such as same-sex marriage and stem cell research (47-40).
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 07:28:04 PM »

The fact that the generic ballot test exactly matches Bush's approval ratings isn't a good sign for the Republicans. It would appear this eleciton has very much been nationalized and is a referendum on the President.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 07:29:38 PM »

I still think the generic ballot is overrated

ex. ME, while the state most likely would rather see a Democrat in the senate, they will send Olympia Snowe there with about 70%.

And states like NY which only elect one senator pump this total up, as a state like WY which only elects one senator has a low effect.

The generic ballot is never the greatest indicator.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 07:32:07 PM »

I still think the generic ballot is overrated

ex. ME, while the state most likely would rather see a Democrat in the senate, they will send Olympia Snowe there with about 70%.

And states like NY which only elect one senator pump this total up, as a state like WY which only elects one senator has a low effect.

The generic ballot is never the greatest indicator.

The generic ballot is not good for the Senate, but historically has been a good indicator for the House. While I would love to see the Dems win back the Senate, I just don't think it's too probable.
poughies
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 07:36:29 PM »

Jay Cost at real clear politics has had some great writeups on the generic ballot. I tend to agree with the whole "all politics is local". Yet, if u look at the individual polls, they also suggest a very good chance at a Democratic majority.... I don't know, but I agree that they are usually overused.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 08:50:37 PM »

You can tell how bad realclearpolitics.com wants the Democrats to crash and burn in any of their articles. I can't read too many of them any more because they anger me.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 08:51:35 PM »

Yeah, I read something on there about a week ago (maybe less) about how Minnesota was "hotly contested in 2006" and it spoke of Klobuchar's possible impending demise.  lol!
Conan
conan

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 08:56:31 PM »

By the end of this election cycle, Democrats will have the upper hand with terrorism.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 09:00:54 PM »

Yeah, I read something on there about a week ago (maybe less) about how Minnesota was "hotly contested in 2006" and it spoke of Klobuchar's possible impending demise.  lol!

Good God that is laughable.
poughies
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 09:15:42 PM »

That i didn't read.... u gotta pick out the articles carefully. Cost, while definitly a conservative, was VERY quick to jump on Republicans when they claimed the race for the house was tightening on the wings of the generic ballot.....
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 09:39:12 PM »

Give me a call when you walk into the booth and see "Generic Ballot" at the top.
Whacker77

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2006, 10:21:43 PM »

As far as this new CNN poll, I find some of the internal numbers a bit fishy.  The fact that by 47-40, voters prefer the Democrats on "moral issues" such as same sex marriage makes me wonder if the poll didn't get a few too many Democrats.  There is no way that number is correct.  I know the left wingers won't agree with me, but same sex marriage has never been successful on any ballot.  Given that fact, I think the spread in the "generic number" is probably is closer than 15 points.  Is it even, no.  Is it six or seven points, probably.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2006, 12:10:46 AM »

The generic ballot is not good for the Senate, but historically has been a good indicator for the House.

Flat out just plain wrong.

The Dems led in the "generic" ballot in 1996, 1998, 2000, and 2002 prior to the actual elections.  It was basically even in 2004.

The GOP had House majorities in each of these election cycles.

Granted, the gap by which the Dems lead the GOP on the "generic" ballot is larger than before (I do expect the Dems will barely retake the House BTW) but to suggest the Generic ballot is historically predictive and meaningful is simply inconsistent with reality.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2006, 12:23:38 AM »

The generic ballot is not good for the Senate, but historically has been a good indicator for the House.

The Dems led in the "generic" ballot in 1996, 1998, 2000, and 2002 prior to the actual elections.  It was basically even in 2004.

Granted, the gap by which the Dems lead the GOP on the "generic" ballot is larger than before (I do expect the Dems will barely retake the House BTW) but to suggest the Generic ballot is historically predictive and meaningful is simply inconsistent with reality.

Calm down there buddy. You are going to give yourself a heart attack.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2006, 12:32:11 AM »

While I would love to see the Dems win back the Senate, I just don't think it's too probable.

I, too, would love to see the Democrats take back the Senate, I, too, don't think their chances are that good.  Heck, Bill Clinton only gives them a 30% chance of doing so.  

There are some projections right now that even have the GOP hanging on to the House by a mere 1 seat.  Sadly, I think the House has gone from almost a sure Democrat pickup to a toss-up with a Democrat lean.  Especially with recent events happening such as the drop in oil and gas prices and the detainee compromise that was reached last week between McCain and Bush.  No matter what happens, it is highly unlikely, for the GOP to increase their majorities in either Chamber.  They will lose seats, it just remains to be seen if the Democrats can take enough seats to catapult Nancy Pelosi and/or Harry Reid to the top honors.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2006, 01:35:37 AM »

The generic ballot is only for the House; it's my understanding it doesn't include Senate races.

Vorlon, is there any particular reason why the generic ballot leans Democratic? I remember hearing that the Dems did win the popular vote for the House overall in 1996, but I'm assuming the GOP won it in the other years you listed.

I'm not disputing that it is inaccurate as it clearly is, but why is this true? Why are people more likely to say they are voting Democratic and then end up voting Republican than the opposite? I guess I'm just perplexed as to why it would always be off, and always towards the Dems.

In any event, if it is always about 4-5 points too Democratic, we can then just adjust for that and get the real results. Consistency matters more than accuracy.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2006, 10:15:51 AM »

The generic ballot is only for the House; it's my understanding it doesn't include Senate races.

Vorlon, is there any particular reason why the generic ballot leans Democratic? I remember hearing that the Dems did win the popular vote for the House overall in 1996, but I'm assuming the GOP won it in the other years you listed.

I'm not disputing that it is inaccurate as it clearly is, but why is this true? Why are people more likely to say they are voting Democratic and then end up voting Republican than the opposite? I guess I'm just perplexed as to why it would always be off, and always towards the Dems.

In any event, if it is always about 4-5 points too Democratic, we can then just adjust for that and get the real results. Consistency matters more than accuracy.

I think people are always mad at Congress, so they always want the opposition party to win it back. However, they still vote for their own local Congressman (which in most cases have been a Republican during the last decade)
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2006, 06:20:13 PM »

Generic ballot is good indicator if polling likely voters. Not so much for registered voters. Need to check polls to see who is being polled.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2006, 07:07:54 PM »

Generic ballot is good indicator if polling likely voters. Not so much for registered voters. Need to check polls to see who is being polled.

Still wrong. 

The problem is people live in different districts.  The dems can easily win the nationwide vote in congress while still failing to regain control of the House.

memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2006, 07:21:01 PM »

Still wrong. 

The problem is people live in different districts.  The dems can easily win the nationwide vote in congress while still failing to regain control of the House.

Mathematically, your scenario is quite possible, but considering how most districts are gerrymandered, the generic ballot gives you some insight into how the few dozen competitive districts are likely to vote.
poughies
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2006, 07:32:28 PM »

I believe that it one of many things one can use. Polling on a district level is more important.
Deano963

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2006, 07:36:26 PM »

Good God that is laughable.

Same thing for Murtha!

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://politics.wizbangblog.com/2006/09/25/cook-political-report-dems-to-gain-1520-seats.php

Cheesy

LOL. Texasindy who is that last quote from? It's hilarious! But you ddin't include the person who said it. I want to make it my new sig.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies