Why should we??
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 12:03:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Why should we??
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why should we??  (Read 1000 times)
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 18, 2018, 05:53:25 PM »

Why should we trust the polls or this forum? This time in 2016 they had the Republican having a very bad night on election night. What makes this time different?
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 05:59:49 PM »

Why should we trust the polls or this forum? This time in 2016 they had the Republican having a very bad night on election night. What makes this time different?

You're absolutely right.  We should shut down this forum immediately, and Congress should outlaw all political polling.
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 06:02:27 PM »

You're absolutely right.  We should shut down this forum immediately, and Congress should outlaw all political polling.

Personally, I just throw 100 numbered cards in the air and whatever number I catch is the percentage the Democrat will get in a given race. It's better than trusting the lyin' media and their fake news polls.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 06:04:07 PM »

"Why should we trust the polls or the pundits? This time in 2012 they said the election would be 'extremely close.' What makes this time different?" Said the Democrats in 2014.

"The polls aren't showing what I want to see, so they must be wrong!" That may have worked well in 2016, but just about any other time one party has made that argument, the results have actually been worse than the polls for that party. Sure, polls could be underestimating Republicans this year, but I'd say it's just as likely, if not more likely, that polls will underestimate Democrats this year.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 06:30:05 PM »

You're right. Ultimately, the only polling that matters are the elections themselves. Polling makes mistakes and includes so many undecided voters that we can't depend on them.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 06:43:29 PM »

Because our only other option at this point is divination?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 07:20:26 PM »

Jimmie, come here!
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 07:22:22 PM »

Jimmie, come here!

Let's take Lake County and throw it in the air: if it lands on heads, Democrats win the House; tails, Republicans.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 01:22:58 AM »

Jimmie, come here!

Let's take Lake County and throw it in the air: if it lands on heads, Democrats win the House; tails, Republicans.

Lake County is no longer a swing county! Even in 2014, Democrtas held their own there. Going forward it will be titantium Democratic and voting like the Cook County suburbs.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 05:28:00 PM »

We should take polls with a grain of salt, but we shouldn't discount them completely.

Remember that 538 calculates probabilities by running simulations based on polling data and other figures, and the probabilities are determined by how many of the simulations result in one candidate winning and how many result in the other candidate winning. From this viewpoint, we can say that any particular outcome could have been "picked" from a "grab bag" of possible outcomes.
Southern Delegate matthew27
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -1.22

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 05:30:42 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2018, 05:43:35 PM by TheLaborpartysucks »

I believe the polls are biased for a couple of reasons.
1. Most trumpers won't admit to supporting the guy. They're either racist, believe we should bomb the hell out of most of the world or secret fascist.
2. most polls are ran by liberals. One always roots for ones team.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2018, 05:35:39 PM »

I believe the polls are bias for a couple of reasons.
1. Most trumpers won't admit to supporting the guy. They're either racist, believe we should bomb the hell out of most of the world or secret fascist.
2. most polls are ran by liberals. One always roots for ones team.

I won't argue against your points (although I don't agree with them), but just want to use this opportunity as a PSA:

Something is BIASEDNot something is BIAS!   Bias is what the person has if they are biased!

Sorry, one of my pet language peeves.  You're not the only offender.  I feel better now. Wink
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies