I have a new job!!! (Yes, Attention Whoring) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:42:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  I have a new job!!! (Yes, Attention Whoring) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I have a new job!!! (Yes, Attention Whoring)  (Read 50209 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: July 22, 2010, 12:01:39 AM »

After all that I really hope you didn't quit your job. This smells like a scam to the max.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 11:05:01 AM »

I often wondered how people could possibly fall for Nigerian scams. Now I see how.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 09:08:29 PM »

No, no, no.  If you are a poor, and you have a job at the Electric Company, you stay there, and say 'yes sir' and 'no sir, and just batten down the hatches and wait.  It will all be over soon enough.  No need to rush it by getting conned up the a**s by some Kiwi b******s and ending up living under a bridge.

Seriously, I know poors who work at the Power Company (true they're from the previous unionized generations so they made $70,000/year, but still), and they survived.  Every one of them - and they will get to die in hospitals with medical treatments.  Yes, Public Utilities are not government jobs, but they're the next best thing.

Well unsurprisingly opebo was right on.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 10:23:24 PM »

Moral of the story: Listen to opebo.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 12:56:41 AM »

Getting in the next workday after you quit shouldn't be that hard as it's not likely you were even dropped from payroll yet. Probably will have to fill out your W-2s and all again though. But it'd make more sense to take you back as you can fill your old position instantly and not have to worry about being trained in.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 11:15:42 AM »

How is that the moral of the story? I'd say it is rather "listen to anyone who posted in this thread".

I don't think anyone posted anything other than warnings.

Not on the first page.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 11:44:23 AM »

While I agree that it's tough to see how someone can be this dense and naive about this sort of thing, plenty of people in real life somehow are. As I said earlier, look at all the folks who fall for those Nigerian scams. Even this isn't quite as transparent as that.

There does appear to be a sort of "blind faith" mindset that leads to this sort of thing that I've noticed, I remember reading about one old retiree who was scammed out of life savings by Nigerian scammers and it said the main thing that caused him to actually buy into it was the "God bless you" at the end of the email, he thought "Well God sometimes brings us opportunities like this for a reason", BushOklahoma sort of seemed to think the same way. Considering this is the same type of crowd who donate money to the likes of Benny Hinn it starts to make more sense.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 11:14:03 AM »

There is a lesson here about not quitting your job without two weeks notice. Even if you get a new obviously legitimate one it's quite possible it just won't work out. In BushOK's case if he had bothered to do so he could've just rescinded his resignation now and the whole thing would've just have been a rather embarrassing experience instead of the crisis it is now.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 10:38:40 AM »

Why does it take you an hour to eat breakfast?

Also what kind of terrible job starts at 7:00 in the morning?!

Lots of people at my job actually considering the shift starting at 6AM desirable. Never got it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 09:52:32 PM »

In the meantime BushOK ought to hit up the temp agencies. You can actually get fairly decent jobs from them, temporary of course and not the best, but working for 6 weeks at $11/hour while you search for a permanent job beats sitting on your ass or working at McDonald's in the meantime.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 10:11:27 AM »

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 11:29:31 AM »

Or just go to a temp agency like I said. Worse things than getting $11/hour to do data entry for six weeks.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 11:48:52 PM »

I actually applied for a Cutco sales job and got accepted but was a bit more savvy than BushOK and realized what it was so I declined the orientation. Right after that I got the job I had the rest of my time in college.

I've been taken in by two of these scams before, one was one of those "GET PAID TO TAKE SURVEYS!" deal for only $20...which then turns out just gives you access to a bunch of companies that offer paid surveys which may or may not accept you for certain ones. Good thing it was only $20 and I made about $10 back from the paid surveys anyway. The other one was one that sells you training material for US Postal Service jobs that the USPS provides for free anyway and promises a refund if you fail to land a USPS job but only if you can meet all these criteria and fulfill the fine print. Luckily I managed to cancel my transaction on that one shortly after signing up and thus avoided the $180 hit.

But yes, BushOK needs to stay far from the internet. At least stick to Craigslist, you'd think it was a bit more scam-heavy, but they're actually good at either weeding out the scams or making them blatantly obvious (though with his naivete so far...) Local employment newsletters are a better deal, they aren't completely scam-free but have a much higher ratio than most of what you see on the internet, I got my current job from one. Temp agencies also have the advantage of often being used as recruitment methods by serious companies.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 11:58:56 PM »

And worth noting, at least Cutco and Amway like Avon sell actual products that you might have a use for. Ameriplan doesn't.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 10:27:15 AM »

There are certainly legitimate ones though, like Oriflame. Doesn't Tupperware work more or less this way too?

My mom makes a lot of money in Tupperware sales and frequently travels around the state and sometimes even to Montana on the weekends to sell it. For some reason rural North Dakotans are the biggest on buying that stuff.

Of course it's far from her only job or primary source of income. Sometimes people can make money off this stuff, I know of a guy who made good money selling Cutco knives too. Just not something you can rely on.

And once again, note that Cutco and Tupperware sell actual products that you might have a use for, unlike Ameriplan.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies