Your Sexuality and Gender Identity? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 07:41:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Your Sexuality and Gender Identity? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Choose two:
Heterosexual

Homosexual

Bisexual

Asexual

Other

Unsure

Cisgender

Transgender

Other

Unsure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 191

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Your Sexuality and Gender Identity?  (Read 12851 times)
Hifly
hifly15

« on: March 09, 2015, 02:13:16 PM »

I find it fascinating that in a forum where a majority of users prescribe to a "progressive", "pro-science" attitude that terms like "cis" are flung about in a completely unscientific and inappropriate way. Academically, they are absolutely meaningless in this context.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 02:20:02 PM »

I find it fascinating that in a forum where a majority of users prescribe to a "progressive", "pro-science" attitude that terms like "cis" are flung about in a completely unscientific and inappropriate way. Academically, they are absolutely meaningless in this context.

Our resident genius from Oxford weighs in!

Do you have anything at all relevant to say?
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 04:14:30 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2015, 04:16:55 PM by Hifly »

What do you mean by this? In the only times I've ever communicated with you, you've inferred that my family were Nazis and/or your posts have been dubious.

For the others concerned, the word "cisgender" does not and never has had any scientific ground to it. A simple search on the internet can even reveal this.
And it is worrying that individuals with "progressive" mindsets use unscientific terms to label sexuality, even if almost nobody else here actually pays attention to scientific study.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 04:48:54 PM »

What do you mean by this? In the only times I've ever communicated with you, you've inferred that my family were Nazis and/or your posts have been dubious.

For the others concerned, the word "cisgender" does not and never has had any scientific ground to it. A simple search on the internet can even reveal this.
And it is worrying that individuals with "progressive" mindsets use unscientific terms to label sexuality, even if almost nobody else here actually pays attention to scientific study.

this medical textbook makes frequent use of the word cisgender. the earliest precursor to the word was invented by a medical doctor.

etc. etc. etc.

Maybe you've mistranslated something from German or your native language, but what you appear to be stating is that a "health guide for transgender men" is a medical textbook. Apart from other issues re the principle of your point, but your source only amplifies my point.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 05:51:43 PM »

what you appear to be stating is that a "health guide for transgender men" is a medical textbook.

the healthcare is for transgender men; the guide is for healthcare providers. do try to read at least the whole cover next time.
Further inspection reveals it's a virtually unused and obscure "free" (even to modify!) book, published by an organisation  which provides standard of care to "LGBTQ" individuals, and it has been written in affiliation with another organisation whose aim is to "work to guarantee that all people are free to self-determine their gender identity and expression".

That probably explains the misuse of the term in this unknown publication.

I may self-identify as cisgender, but it's not an appropriate medical or scientific term to describe my condition.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies