The Weariness of a Frontrunner
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 07:17:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Weariness of a Frontrunner
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The Weariness of a Frontrunner  (Read 5321 times)
NHI
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2011, 09:25:49 AM »

Matthews: So as we look at the map going into tonight what should we be looking for?

Mitchell: Ohio is a bell weather state and if Romney can do well there then he should be looking for a victory tonight.

O'Donnell:The President is the underdog in this campaign and no one should dispute that fact. The President is running against a powerful candidate, he may not be the most appealing to every conservatives, but he is bringing in the independents.

Maddow: We need to interject, because MSNBC is calling South Carolina for Gov. Romney.

59.4%-40.0%

Matthews: Well, the old GOP strong holds are falling into line, but I want to see what goes on in the important states.

Maddow: MSNBC is also calling Indiana for Mr. Romney.

55.4%-44.2%

Matthews Well it is Romney with an early lead, but I don't know if this say anything.

Mitchell Indiana is the most important thus far. It was expected to go for Romney, but he is carrying the state by a somewhat decisive margin, so we will see how the rest of the night goes.

Romney 28
Obama 3

7:50
Maddow We are now turning to Tim Pawlenty, Governor thank you for joining us tonight.

Pawlenty Thanks Rachel, glad to be here on this night.

Maddow: Well Governor Romney is doing well tonight. He has already taken West Virginia and Georgia and looks poised to take Ohio based on the data we received, what are your thoughts as the night progresses?

Pawlenty: I think Mitt Romney will be the next President of the United States and on the simple but firm premise that Barack Obama has failed. He failed to lead this country, our economy is in the toilet, I mean you saw the latest unemployment figures for this month. It is a disgrace to this country and that is what this country is voting him out.

Maddow: Governor Pawlenty it is eight o'clock and we have some projections to make, but if you would stand by we'd love to get your response... MSNBC is now projecting in the presidential race the following states for Mr. Obama: Maine, Illinois, Maryland, Delaware, Massachusetts, Maine, New Jersey and the District of Columbia.

For Governor Romney we project: Mississippi, Missouri, Tennessee, Oklahoma and New Hampshire.
Romney 96
Obama 68

Matthews: Well there you have it. Romney still leading and has taken the old bell weather of New Hampshire, but I'm more surprised with Connecticut. New Hampshire has more moderate, business centric conservatives, but Connecticut is too close to call, your thoughts, Lawrence?

O'Donnell: I don't think Romney will end up taking the state, but this does show how close this election is and that Pres. Obama is in trouble if he can't keep a solidly democratic state.

Maddow: Sorry to intercut gentlemen, but MSNBC is now calling the state of Florida for Governor Mitt Romney.

52.4%-45.7%

Romney 125
Obama 68

Mitchell: Wow, that one's going to be tough to overcome.

Matthews: At this point he's got to keep Pennsylvania and North Carolina from slipping into the Romney column. Where does the polls stand with them, let's turn now to Chuck Todd.

Todd: Chris, looking at it right now. Romney is up in Ohio, Pennsylvania and North Carolina. Three very important states. Virginia is leading Obama but it is narrow. Take a look at the map and it is not pretty for the president.

OHIO:

51.9%-45.7%

NORTH CAROLINA:

50.9%-46.8%

PENNSYLVANIA:

50.6%-47.7%

VIRGINIA:

49.3%-49.7%

Matthews: Chuck, going to have to cut you off as MSNBC is now calling Ohio for President Obama, excuse me Governor Mitt Romney.

Romney 143
Obama    68

O'Donnell: At this point Romney's lead seems almost insurmountable. He's up by almost one hundred delegates and has snatched away three of the prized states: New Hampshire, Ohio and Florida.

Maddow: Returning back to Governor Pawlenty, your thoughts on this projection?

Pawlenty: Two words: President-elect.

Maddow: Well said Governor, thank you for joining us.

9:00 Map Projection:

Romney227
Obama 118

netzero19
Rookie

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2011, 09:25:30 PM »

Bump.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2011, 10:44:30 AM »

Maddow: Welcome back and MSNBC can now project a win for Mitt Romney. We are able to project that President Obama, excuse me, Governor Mitt Romney will win Virginia.

50.6%47.9%

Matthews: Certainly that has got to be a great one for them to carry, but is it enough? Let's now turn to Joe Scarborough for analysis.

Scarborough: Virginia is a state that has been a state that's been leaning Obama the whole race and he lost it, and it's not even that close. Most polls indicated Obama would at least get fifty percent and Romney takes almost 51 percent.

Tim Pawlenty was on here tonight and said Romney will win, do you agree?
I think it's rather difficult Chris. He needs to get Michigan, Wisconsin and then sweep the north west, and I just don't see that happening. Romney is too far ahead.

Maddow: And as we intercut again, MSNBC is calling the state of Colorado for Governor Romney.

Romney: 255
Obama: 118

Scarborough: That's it.

Polling:
PA:
Romney: 51.4%
Obama: 47.5%

MI:
Romney: 50.9%
Obama: 48.6%

WI:
Romney: 50.0%
Obama: 49.3%

NM:
Romney: 49.9%
Obama: 48.7%

AZ:
Romney: 52.9%
Obama: 45.8%

Maddow: MSNBC is also calling Arizona for Governor Romney at this time as well. Governor Romney nows holds 266 delegates to Pres. Obama's 118.

O'Donnell: It will now come down to Pennsylvania and Michigan. Which one will put him over.

Matthews: Are we looking at a realignment Andrea?

Mitchell: I don't know Chris. We thought that in 2008, but then the Tea Party Movement changed that course in 2010, and now it's looking that way in 2012. I think we are seeing the fourth change election in the last six years. In 2006 and 2008 the Democrats retook control of Washington, and 2010 the Republican came back and 2012 looks to be the same. The Republican also look poised to take control of the senate.

Matthews: Is this an embrace of Conservatism or will the republicans be thrown out in 2014 as well?

Scarborough: Chris, Chris. If the Republicans win big tonight I think it is a result of the Democrats and President Obama. 2010 was the start and this is the finish. If Romney and the Republicans are able to get the economy back on the right track and unemployment down then we're looking at a realignment not seen since Ronald Reagan.

O'Donnell: Joe, can Mitt Romney break 400 tonight?

Scarborough: You know Lawrence, a month ago I would have said no, even yesterday I would have said no, but looking at the results coming in I think it is a real possibility. If he does in fact break 400, then we will be feeling the effects of this election at least for the next decade.

Maddow: Sorry to interrupt this discussion boys, but I would not do this if it wasn't important. MSNBC is ready to make it's projection for the presidency. Based on a win in Pennsylvania Governor Mitt Romney will be the 45th President of the United States of America.

Willard Mitt Romney: 45th President of the United States

Romney: 286

Matthews: And there you have it, wow. It came down to the economy and Romney beat him on it.

Maddow: Adding to the projection Governor Romney will also carry the state of New Mexico and Michigan, which will put him well over the needed number to be elected President.

Scarborough: With unemployment where it is, and the state of the country where it is I am not surprised by tonight. I think this is a realignment. Many of us in the media predicted a close, down to the wire race. It is 9:45 and we're calling the presidency.

Matthews: Romney ran a smart campaign, he hammered the president on the economy and the state of American confidence and that's why he is where is tonight. He did what Reagan did, though not as eloquently to Jimmy Carter. He painted him as the bearer of bad news and himself as the responsible one, a leader, and the president couldn't break that image.

Maddow: We have now learned that Pres. Obama has called Governor Romney and the president will be speaking at ten o'clock eastern standard time.

Mitchell: And hour before the polls close in the west, states like California, Oregon and Washington.

10:00

...We've come to the end of a long race America, the end of our journey and our place in the American story, but like many generations before us we know that more still lies ahead, America's best days still lie ahead. I thank you for your support, and I thank my family. I could not be here without you. Now may God Bless you, May God Bless President-Elect Romney and his family and may God Bless The United States of America.

Romney: 325

11:00
Obama wins California, Hawaii. Oregon, Washington too close to call...

Mitt and Ann Romney waving to supporters in New Hampshire.

...Today we begin the next chapter in America. And in this chapter no more will unemployment weaken us, or will towering deficits cloud our horizons. America's best days still lie ahead, for one thing is always certain: We believe in America and we always will...

Final Results:
Romney: 362 (54.0%)
Obama: 177 (45.6%)

President Mitt Romney: 2013-

Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2011, 02:35:44 PM »

President Mitt Romney: 2013-2017
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2011, 02:36:32 PM »

Nice timeline. What were the congressional and gubernatorial results? I image that if Romney won by such a landslide Republicans easily took back the Senate, and possibly gained a few seats in the House.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2011, 07:19:15 PM »

Republicans take MI, NH, and PA! A dream come true! Not to mention the taking of OR, WA, WI, etc. Probably not entirely realistic, but at least it gets played out.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2011, 08:05:57 AM »

Romney's coattails were long enough to make major successes for the GOP.

Senatorial Map:

Gubernatorial Map:

The GOP also retained control of the House.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2011, 08:17:15 AM »

Romney Cabinet:
Vice President: Marco Rubio
Sec. of State: Jon Huntsman
Sec. of Treasury: Mitch Daniels
Sec. of Defense: David Patreaus
Attorney General: Rudy Giuliani
Sec. of Interior: Nikki Haley
Sec. of Agriculture: Evan Bayh