2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Wisconsin (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:57:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Wisconsin (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Wisconsin  (Read 42247 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2023, 10:34:36 AM »
« edited: April 09, 2023, 11:38:24 AM by Torie »

Fair enough. Federal courts do least change when drawing CD maps where there is deadlock, but whether state courts must follow that standard is another matter. I just don't know the law on that one as to CD maps. I withdraw my prediction. That one had a short half life I must say.  I got "owned," and deservedly so. Tongue

As to legislative maps, on which I did not comment, I also agree that it is open season on the legislative maps, it would appear, where ISL or some variant thereof is not in play in all events.
Here is the squib on the saga.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redistricting_in_Wisconsin

I guess another issue is whether state supreme courts redraw CD maps with impunity where one party does not control the trifecta and there is gridlock, as and when, and each and every time, that the partisan control of the state high court changes, as it becomes a third branch of the legislature, and one that trumps the other two branches and the executive in a deadlock situation. That eventually might get to SCOTUS as state supreme courts get ever more partisan and hackish. The way things are going, we might end up going in the direction of Israel and the tension between the courts and the law passing bodies reaches the breaking point. Wouldn't that be fun, not?

Here is what the new judge said in the debate for the record:

Speaking at a campaign forum Monday, Wisconsin Supreme Court candidate Janet Protasiewicz called state election maps "rigged" and designed to take away votes from people in larger communities including Dane and Milwaukee counties.

"They do not reflect people in this state. I don't think you could sell any reasonable person that the maps are fair," said Protasiewicz, a Milwaukee County judge and one of four running for a seat on the state Supreme Court. "I can't tell you what I would do on a particular case, but I can tell you my values, and the maps are wrong."

I don't know if she is including the CD map when she refers to "state election maps," and further don't know how the CD maps could be viewed as screwing the twin liberal counties, except through the proportional or efficiency gap theory, which would require them to be sliced and diced. I guess we will find out. Perhaps she will hold her fire to the legislative maps.

And of course, now that the Pubs have a third thirds majority, in the state senate, she could be impeached and removed from office, given that a bunch of them might see their seats disappear. And then the governor could reappoint her. Sigh.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2023, 03:32:02 PM »

Vosem said that the Congressional maps is very unlikely to be overturned because the only argument the WISC could use to do so would actually undermine and diminish its own power, but he didn't elaborate on how. I'm interested in hearing that because that sounds rather strange.

The new WI Supreme Court judge said the legislative maps were rigged, and they are gerrymandered, but she did not say that as to the Congressional map, which isn't really gerrymandered, and I think the thought is that the judge is not going to toss that map because it should be gerrymandered to achieve proportionality. That would be pretty radical, particularly based on vague equality language in the WI Constitution. But she can probably go there if she wants without SCOTUS spanking her, because the legislature never passed a map, and the existing one was drawn by her own court as a least change map before she showed up.

But Vosem can speak for himself.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2023, 04:30:01 PM »

Vosem said that the Congressional maps is very unlikely to be overturned because the only argument the WISC could use to do so would actually undermine and diminish its own power, but he didn't elaborate on how. I'm interested in hearing that because that sounds rather strange.

The new WI Supreme Court judge said the legislative maps were rigged, and they are gerrymandered, but she did not say that as to the Congressional map, which isn't really gerrymandered, and I think the thought is that the judge is not going to toss that map because it should be gerrymandered to achieve proportionality. That would be pretty radical, particularly based on vague equality language in the WI Constitution. But she can probably go there if she wants without SCOTUS spanking her, because the legislature never passed a map, and the existing one was drawn by her own court as a least change map before she showed up.

But Vosem can speak for himself.

What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.  Don’t like it?  Tell Republicans to support a national ban on gerrymandering.  Until then, I’m all for Democratic State Supreme Courts finding any arbitrary reason they can to draw Democratic gerrymanders.

Of course you are! And your favorite CD map is probably the one from state of the Land of Lincoln.  Tongue
Pages: 1 [2]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies