SENATE RESOLUTION: Appropriations Freedom Resolution (Debating) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 08:00:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE RESOLUTION: Appropriations Freedom Resolution (Debating) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE RESOLUTION: Appropriations Freedom Resolution (Debating)  (Read 2525 times)
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« on: July 21, 2019, 09:33:36 AM »
« edited: July 21, 2019, 10:09:55 AM by Devout Centrist »

This resolution would repeal ‘paygo’, a rule that requires any increase in spending to be matched with cuts in spending or an increase in taxes. Simply put, paygo is far too restrictive and hurts the legislative process. Oftentimes, bills may increase government spending by a small amount. This forces us to find something from the Federal budget to cut or some tax to increases in order to cover the increase. This isn’t very sustainable and it doesn’t make sense when the increase in spending is so minute. Paygo also restricts our ability to form consensus on many issues of Federal spending. It has transformed appropriations into a dog and pony show. This has only increased polarization

Paygo is not an effective way to reduce the deficit, either. While it may prevent the deficit from increasing, it has no guarantee of lowering the annual deficit. The Federal deficit requires a solution that actually achieves its goal. Both parties need to work together on comprehensive deficit reduction. Paygo doesn’t accomplish that goal.

I stand here opposed to paygo and opposed to austerity. We can find ways to reduce the Federal deficit without turning every bill in Congress into an exercise of finding something to cut or something to tax.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 10:34:13 AM »
« Edited: July 21, 2019, 10:42:36 AM by Devout Centrist »

Proposing the following amendment:

SENATE RESOLUTION
To repeal the Paygo rule and allow more flexibility in the appropriation of funding in bills.

Be it resolved in the Atlasian Senate Assembled,
Appropriations Freedom Resolution
Section 1.

Article 2 of the New Senate Rules Resolution shall be amended by striking section 7 with succeeding sections renumbered accordingly.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 10:46:20 AM »

What bills would have passed but failed solely because of Paygo? I can't think of any.
That wording is rather strict; while many bills don't fail solely because of paygo, it is a contributing factor in their demise.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 10:52:53 AM »

You know what isn't sustainable? Continuously passing unfunded or massively underfunded bills. Labor doing exactly that was what go us to an over $900 billion deficit to begin with.  
The deficit was inherited from irl, correct? The Atlasian deficit is a lot lower than the current Federal deficit. I would also like to point out the the real life House of Representatives has a paygo rule, too.

Need I also remind you that much of our deficit spending in the past happened because of the Korean Civil War.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 11:39:09 PM »

I'm not about to gratify such hyperbolic allegations of 'junk bonds' and unfounded fears about foreigners holding Atlasian debt. Paygo hurts deficit reduction. It forces members of Congress to find obscure ways of raising revenue or lowering spending to pass even the most minute spending increases.

If we're serious about deficit reduction, I urge my colleagues to start working on a pathway to a balanced budget. Federalists administrations have neglected deficit reduction just as much as other administrations have. I would be willing to work on reducing the Federal deficit; Paygo does not and has not accomplished that!
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 10:31:56 AM »

I'm not about to gratify such hyperbolic allegations of 'junk bonds' and unfounded fears about foreigners holding Atlasian debt. Paygo hurts deficit reduction. It forces members of Congress to find obscure ways of raising revenue or lowering spending to pass even the most minute spending increases.

If we're serious about deficit reduction, I urge my colleagues to start working on a pathway to a balanced budget. Federalists administrations have neglected deficit reduction just as much as other administrations have. I would be willing to work on reducing the Federal deficit; Paygo does not and has not accomplished that!

This is factually inaccurate when Federalist administrations have reduced the deficit compared to RL, we have raised revenues, we cut defense spending and we have avoided deficit funded tax cuts. We also avoided drastic cuts to health care. How can you state with a straight face such a bold face incorrect assertion that Federalists have neglected deficit reduction?
You have put forward ways that the Federalist Party has prevented the deficit from skyrocketing and while the situation is better than irl, the fact remains that your party has controlled the Presidency for almost 2 years. At this time, we are still running a half trillion dollar deficit. Paygo may be effective at preventing large increases in the deficit, but it does not guarantee deficit reduction.

Again, paygo requires that new programs be funded. The notion that you can move towards a balanced budget while removing the safeguards that prevent us digging the hole deeper is ridiculous. Until now this had bipartisan support, it was championed by the Democrats in RL for instance.
Except that, again, we haven't been doing that. Paygo looks good on paper, but it has made passing small spending increases ridiculously difficult. There have been no benefits aside from the potential to avoid large increases in the deficit. Correct if I'm wrong, but before the reset, Atlasia had a balanced budget. I'm willing to write a bill that puts on the path to a balanced budget if both sides are willing to work for it.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 12:51:43 PM »

Get back to us when you give us an actual proposal that will realistically do better, because factually speaking, cutting it almost in half is a pretty big deal.
All in due time
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 01:48:23 PM »

Get back to us when you give us an actual proposal that will realistically do better, because factually speaking, cutting it almost in half is a pretty big deal.
All in due time

You're proposing something with no proof of a plan to ensure that responsible spending and deficit reduction will still take place without it. You realize how irresponsible this looks, right?
There's a reason I haven't motioned for a final vote yet. I would suggest being a little more patient.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2019, 01:36:48 PM »

What amendment was Tack considering?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2019, 11:26:33 AM »

All in due time

You're proposing something with no proof of a plan to ensure that responsible spending and deficit reduction will still take place without it. You realize how irresponsible this looks, right?

I can confirm that some proposals have been submitted by DC to the GM office for scoring. We are working on getting the scores together.
Thank you. Take as much time as you need. We will be ready to submit our proposal as soon as your work is completed.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 12:24:02 PM »

Well, it's been almost two weeks since I sent some proposals to the GM's. I have no doubt that they're scoring my proposals as we speak and I commend them for their efforts.

However, at this time, I believe we must make a final judgement on this resolution. Therefore, I motion for a final vote.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2019, 08:24:40 PM »

Has a time table for when that will be ready been discussed with Encke or Mr. R?
No time table as of yet. I suspect it won't be too much longer from now.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2019, 11:22:51 AM »

A final vote has begun on this resolution. Please vote AYE, NAY, or ABSTAIN.

Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2019, 11:23:09 AM »

Aye
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies