DC Unrest Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:18:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 271163 times)
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« on: January 06, 2021, 03:50:18 PM »

These are American fascists. Put them on trial for sedition.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 04:01:53 PM »

Trump is MIA. Pence should invoke 25 tonight.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 05:00:05 PM »

Reconvene as soon as possible and certify. A statement for democracy needs to be made.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 01:16:52 AM »

Cop holding door open: "Oh, I'm sorry, am I not holding the door open enough for you?  Please take some parting gifts from the art wing before you leave."

It is unbelievable that these people were allowed to galavant around the Capitol armed and threatening further insurrection. Maybe I had an incorrect perception of how American law enforcement would respond to an armed threat to government officials, but I seriously doubt that other groups would be treated with such neutrality if they were to storm the f**king United States Capitol building.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 09:23:17 AM »

I woke up this morning feeling even more sick about this and Joe Scarborough really echoed my thoughts well on Morning Joe.

I am so disgusted and I do not understand how this was allowed to happen. They breached every level of security with nothing more than pushing and were able to enter the chambers of Congress at the US Capitol building.

The response from the Capitol Police was either 1) extremely incompetent or 2) intentional. It is horrifying either way. The Capitol is supposed to be one of the most secure buildings in this country. These people were not even met with the force that met peaceful protestors in public places over the summer. These people waged an armed attack on the world's most powerful legislative body and nearly all of them walked out of there without a scratch.

It was an awful display of the disparity of police response compared to people of color and it was a blatant attack on what we (or I, at least, as I am coming to realize some Americans don't feel the same) hold most dearly about this country - our democratic legislative process, our free and fair elections, and the subsequent peaceful transfer of power.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 10:41:14 AM »

I guess the fundamental question is what would have happened if this had been the white house?

I think the question is: What if this had been well-organized? If that had been the case, it realistically could have been a successful coup d’état. Democracy came frighteningly close to breaking down.

This is exactly right. What if this had been an organized, violent attack? What if these people had opened fire? Exactly how much would they have been able to do?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies