Women's March Long Term Impact (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 09:54:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Women's March Long Term Impact (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Women's March Long Term Impact  (Read 1610 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: January 23, 2017, 09:51:31 PM »

Given how quickly this got set up and how well-attended it was, and how many sister marches there were (even in other countries), I'd like to think that liberals will remain politically active. Whether or not it will affect public policy, and also election results in 2018/2020, remains to be seen. Unless House/Senate Republicans stand up to Trump, he can do pretty much what he wants.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 11:28:40 PM »

Unless House/Senate Republicans stand up to Trump, he can do pretty much what he wants.

Really? Do you really believe that?

Indeed, the statement should be reversed.

No, my point was that to believe Trump would ever be in a position where he can do whatever he wants assumes our system of checks and balances doesn't exist. This view ignorantly ascribes an erroneously large amount of power to the executive branch, power which it simply doesn't have. This is simple 8th grade civics!

I phrased it badly and exaggerated it. Certainly, Trump can't do anything because there are limitations of the executive branch. My point is that liberals/Democrats have limited checks over Trump.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies