Border Patrol Controls Just 44 Percent of South (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 05:52:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Border Patrol Controls Just 44 Percent of South (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Border Patrol Controls Just 44 Percent of South  (Read 2214 times)
Redalgo
United States

« on: February 17, 2011, 04:32:43 PM »

I imagine that ports and the northern borders are even less secure. xD
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 04:33:09 AM »

Well in all seriousness then, what can be done about it? There is seemingly an iron law on this issue involving the affordability of security measures, their effectiveness, and how much freedom our people get to retain. You can enhance two at a time at the expense of whichever is left out. Or might I looking at this from a badly flawed perspective?

The U.S. apparently has 19,924 km of coastline along three oceans and 12,034 km of land borders if one doesn't count the edges of Gitmo in Cuba. Up north, the US-Canadian border is more than two and a half times longer than the one down south with Mexico. There are many seaports, more airports here than any other country in the world, and amongst the population of 308+ million there are mixed, conflicting signals about what they do and do not want.

It would be great if something could be done about it, but what exactly? Are we not stuck with having a porous border and imperfect security? Is it even worthwhile provided illegal immigration has some benefits for the economy? It would be great to hear your ideas if you have some and discuss the matter but at least from my standpoint right now securing the borders ranks high up there in terms of futility beside winning the War on Drugs or getting me to eat mayonnaise.
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 05:24:48 PM »

You are new to this forum and are thefore presumably unaware of the proposals I have advanced in the past with respect to border security.  As others can tell you, I have been quite specific.

Now, lets examine your assertions.

First, I am under no illusions that we can win "the War on Drugs," have no interest whatsoever in whether you consume mayonnaise, but do believe there are a number of rather specific steps which can be taken which will dramatically decrease illegal entry into the United States by foreign nationals.  

Second, as to your presumption that "illegal immigration has some benefits for the economy," I notice you omitted the critical word 'net.'  While certain businesses may profit from illegal, the economy as a whole is NOT benefited (and yes, some liberal economists have come to that conclusion after considerable study).

Third, you fall into the definitional chimera that an Illegal alien is an 'immigrant,' which simply is NOT the case.  Approximately half of the illegal aliens in the United States have no desire to remain permanent in the United States, and are more properly termed 'sojourners.'

I did not make any presumptions about what you think about the War on Drugs or my eating habits, and avoided the use of a word like "net" because I am poorly educated on this issue and find that using phrasing of limited certainty reduces the likelihood of me posting anything terribly ignorant or stupid. My choice of words may have still been poor however because I was never under the impression that all illegal aliens are here with the intent to stay as immigrants - though in fairness I didn't realize that such a large number of illegal aliens are here temporarily.

Fourth, you are quite correct that the borders of the United States are very porous around the entire periphery.  So, yes, we need improvements just about everywhere.  However, practicality suggests that we should devote our efforts first to areas experiencing massive illegal entry now, which means the southern border.

Fifth, you are quite correct that there is a cost effectiveness issue in border security.  As I have tried to make it clear (repeatedly), I do NOT favor a wall, but rather a more cost effective (and integrated) security system, incorporating a ditch and berm system, backed by access roads for Border Patrol use paved with pea gravel (asphalt is too expensive), reliable communications systems for Border Patrol personnel, adequate number of trained personnel armed with necessary weapons.

Next, we need to reduce the incentives for illegal entry, which means enforcing existing laws on employing illegal aliens.  This can be done in many ways by the quick, and inexpensive use of the enhanced E-verify system.

I can go on, and on with further specifics.

However, the question raised by the article is whether the existing border security is sufficient (I think not) and whether we should take steps to improve it (which I support),

If you review many of the posts on this thread you will see that many other are opposed to border security per se.

I had not encountered your proposals before so this is very useful to me. I have some questions, but for now just want to see where the thread goes. Thanks for taking the time to reply Carl.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies