Nixon or Reagan (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:57:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Nixon or Reagan (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nixon or Reagan  (Read 9781 times)
Husker
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -5.70

« on: February 01, 2010, 11:25:14 PM »

If you could have only voted for one of the two former presidents, which president would you have voted for and why?
Husker
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 11:55:11 PM »

I'd vote for Nixon, hands down. I used to consider Reagan to be a good president and I still believe the optimism he projected was much needed at the time he was elected. But after doing some recent research, I've concluded that his administration was probably the most corrupt to serve this country in the modern era.

Nixon certainly was no saint and Watergate put a stain on the office that has never been fully removed. However, it seems that the Reagan administration had a wider breadth of corruption and the policies the Reagan administration pursued were generally far worse than that of the Nixon administration.
Husker
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 12:34:19 AM »

I'd vote for Nixon, hands down. I used to consider Reagan to be a good president and I still believe the optimism he projected was much needed at the time he was elected. But after doing some recent research, I've concluded that his administration was probably the most corrupt to serve this country in the modern era.

Nixon certainly was no saint and Watergate put a stain on the office that has never been fully removed. However, it seems that the Reagan administration had a wider breadth of corruption and the policies the Reagan administration pursued were generally far worse than that of the Nixon administration.

What did Nixon do so great to counterbalance his many crimes?

The Nixon administration had a lot more foresight into domestic issues like energy, health care, and the environment than the Reagan administration.
Husker
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 09:37:33 PM »
« Edited: February 13, 2010, 12:50:07 PM by Husker »

Reagan had a much more likable personality than Nixon and probably displayed greater leadership capabilities. Still though, if you take away Watergate and Cambodia, this probably wouldn't be much of a contest.. I don't hate Reagan but at the same time, I just don't honesty believe his administration was good for the country in the long term. In a way, I'm surprised liberals don't have some fond memories of old Tricky Dick. Seems to me that some things that Nixon proposed are things that Obama seems to be hesitant to do.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies